Mason Bennett

Sam_DCFC_1994

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Twitter is an absolutely toxic place. I can't imagine being a player and typing your name in and seeing what comes up. Can't blame him for biting back. 

Not blame, but unfortunately he's not going to win by joining in with the trolls.

A very small minority of our “fans” if you can even call them that, need to take a long hard look at themselves, tagging players in their abusive tweets is beyond pathetic.

Sadly players responding to them will only draw out more attention seekers as they look for a reaction from both players and other fans.

I like Bennett and really hope he makes a good contribution this season but IMO his physique rules him out from being a regular starter and playing full games. He's built for power and speed, rather than stamina and IMO is like asking a 100m sprinter to run the 1500 metres.

8 minutes ago, David said:

A very small minority of our “fans” if you can even call them that, need to take a long hard look at themselves, tagging players in their abusive tweets is beyond pathetic.

Sadly players responding to them will only draw out more attention seekers as they look for a reaction from both players and other fans.

Problem with social media nowadays..

Imagine if Zoon decided to have a gander on this forum/twitter/facebook, can tell you know he would not be a happy bunny.

All of this slander and abuse is just going to impact the players negatively, they're not gonna see that Brian from Alvaston has called them a "Colossal C***" and be motivated from it and pull out an 11/10 performance the following game? it impacts their esteem and morale and its all ridiculous.

Maybe thats why certain players seem to play too safe and not take as many risks, as they fear if they take the risk and it doesn't pay off they'll be abused. Its absurd, to put it lightly...

39 minutes ago, David said:

Mark Twain would have some advice for such situations:

'Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who.'

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

This is why I’m not on Twitter, full of complete tools like that bloke. Imagine calling your own player a fraud? Some way to show our support to the players. Bennett needs to learn to ignore it, or at the very least not let it impact him though. Sadly these idiots probably won’t go away.

20 hours ago, TexasRam said:

In my opinion this just isn’t about now, it’s over the past few years. Also if we are playing a front 3 then they all need to contribute to the goals. Mason simply doesn’t, neither does Flo Jo. Waghorn and Marriott do hence they don’t get the same criticism Mason unfortunately does. 

How do you measure contribution?

Directly in Goals/Assists? There isn’t much argument here and something he acknowledges himself. What I’d say his problem is, is that he’s too unselfish for a forward. That’s maybe come from a lack of confidence because he can’t get a meaningful run of games together. That’s again, in part, his own fault because he pulls muscles when over stretching for the ball rather than getting impact injuries. So..what I think I’m saying is he’s making a self fulfilling prophecy for himself by not playing a natural forwards game but still wanting to impress? So he can never settle into the side and hence why the direct contribution is low.

BUT, where Bennett’s strengths do lie is contributing to goals in the build up or even off the ball. This is in creating space for Bogle, or being able to drag players away from the middle of the pitch to leave gaps for others. To be honest a player contributing like that is largely what we’ve missed so far this season.

So, my point being that everyone wants Bennett to score more and if he wants to play at the highest levels then he does need to contribute more directly but don’t underestimate the work players like Bennett put in achieve for others.

It shocks me that anyone could go on Twitter and do this to our players.

Bennett has children, who one day will access Twitter and may well see the things people have written about their dad.

It's one thing having an opinion on a message board, if a player decides to have a nosey that is their fault..but for someone to tag a player and call them out is shocking.

At times our club is exactly where it deserves to be at times.

14 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

You can’t think of anyone at all that has played professional football and you thought was no good then......? No.? 

Plenty - But I'm mostly wrong about it cos so far no one has offered to employ me as a professional football manager

Roos , Malone, Huddlestone, Dowell , Bennett, Waggy,Lawrence,Flo , have all come in for some fearful stick at some point this season , heres an idea , why dont we support the team like we are supposed to , its the managers job to decide who plays and who doesnt , who stays , who goes , i am fed up of some of our fanbase continually having to have a go at certain players , support the team , the manager and the club and lets see where that takes us , a little bit of encouragement can go a long way instead of the constant bawling out of certain players

36 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It shocks me that anyone could go on Twitter and do this to our players.

Bennett has children, who one day will access Twitter and may well see the things people have written about their dad.

It's one thing having an opinion on a message board, if a player decides to have a nosey that is their fault..but for someone to tag a player and call them out is shocking.

At times our club is exactly where it deserves to be at times.

Bennett has children (plural)?  And there are people suggesting he is not prolific in the box? Unbelievable.

I'll never understand the mentality of people who do that. It makes me angry that anyone thinks it's an acceptable thing to do. People must forget players are human too, with human feelings like them. Would they like it if people were calling them a fraud and constantly berating them as is the case with some players? Somehow I doubt it.

If you think a player has had a bad game, or a bad run of games, that's fine, they can and they do, it doesn't make them a terrible player, it just means they're not having the best of times. They probably know it themselves anyway, I don't think they need it hammering home by people that cannot hold their tongues (or their fingers in the case of social media!) it's not likely to help the situation is it? Is it going to make him play better?

If you feel like you've rarely (or even never) seen a player play well for us it doesn't mean they're inherently a bad player, they've not become professional footballers because they're bad at playing football, they just might not be the right player at the right time for us, it's not their fault.

I've seen some who when their favourite isn't playing, rather than looking for the good points of the one that is playing in their place and giving them their support, would rather criticise him because he's not the other player. It's not that players fault that they've been picked to play instead of their favourite is it, so does he really deserve criticism for simply not being someone else? It's really bizarre.

I've seen people say they think of this forum as like being in a pub where they can speak openly, I can see why they think that, but it's still out there forever for everyone, including the players and their families, to see. In a pub, it's only between the people in the pub at the time, there's a massive difference and it's quite unlikely that people would say some of the things that they even feel they can say on here (even if it's not so bad) if they knew that player or their family members were in that particular pub at the time, out of common courtesy.

I do think that in light of the above, players need to be aware that if they or their families go searching things out then they might not like what they find. When it's in replies or whilst tagging on Twitter or Instagram then it's directed at them and I presume they have no choice but to see it? But I know that sometimes curiosity gets the better of people and everyone needs to be aware of that.

20 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Oddly enough he was joint second in the assists chart for last season and joint 6th in the scorers chart.

Even more strange is that he had half the minutes on the pitch as Mason Mount but the same number of assists.

Now I know stats don't don't tell the whole picture but I have to admit I was surprised by them. 

U and me both lol

I honestly would have rather cocu had gone with Martin against forest .... at least he has been a 20 goal striker and is a goal scorer .... just hasn’t been for a while, I just don’t ever see it in mason ... as much as I love his enthusiasm 

Archived