Mason Bennett

Sam_DCFC_1994

21 minutes ago, Rample said:

Bennett isn't the finished article, but he needs more game time to progress any further

He's had 8 years of development, including loan spells at lower league clubs where he wasn’t exactly successful. It’s a lovely story and I’d love a young Derby lad to break through. However Masons not good enough and it’s hampering our development by holding on to the dream. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Rample said:

At the very least Bennett is a 7 figure fee sale at some point if we're smart. 

Not sure about seven figure, maybe seven letter - nothing.

OK, I'm being mean, I would love for Mason to develop into a credible Championship footballer but he hasn't and shows little sign, to me, of ever getting there, being one or two flashes. I stand by my earlier statement as such and will be delighted to be proved wrong.

That fan, and the others if you search twitter for @masonbennett20 you'll find more shitty comments, are an embarrassment.

What is it about social media that give people the balls to say something to someone they wouldn't dream of walking up to and saying to their face. (not because they're scared of the player, but because they know it's rude and disrespectful).  

14 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

People need to get a grip,having an opinion on a player is fine  but just insulting people isn’t going to help any of us.

All opinions that is what this forum is for

My two pennies worth is after 8 years he still as not progressed were we can play him as a first choice player for that reason once is contract expire its time to go

2 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

All opinions that is what this forum is for

My two pennies worth is after 8 years he still as not progressed were we can play him as a first choice player for that reason once is contract expire its time to go

That’s perfectly reasonable,personally I’m just neutral and I would have preferred Martin up front last night but I do like Mason.

I like having the players and club on Twitter but if they keep getting abuse we’ll lose that connection which would be sad.

He’s a player, for me, that doesn’t look out of place when we play our strongest line up, or our weakest line up. 

What I mean by that is that for him to be at his best, he needs good players around him for him to be at his best and to contribute to the game more. This isn’t unusual. 

Lets be honest Scott Mctominay wouldn’t look like a player if he played for say Burnley instead of Manu. 

Bennetts problem is that he isn’t Jack Marriott. To be honest I don’t think some Derby fans will be happy until we are lumping balls up to Jack Marriott to run around hopelessly for. Bennett is fine, works hard and contributes much more to the team than many would give him credit for. Atleast he looks to close down, force errors and find space for others, I can’t say that for many of the others right now. To be honest I’d have him over Paterson any day.

The problem for Bennett, Marriott or Waghorn is coming from those around him (is the midfield and out wide), this can be simply shown by the fact of how few clear chances we are making.

26 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Bennetts problem is that he isn’t Jack Marriott. To be honest I don’t think some Derby fans will be happy until we are lumping balls up to Jack Marriott to run around hopelessly for. Bennett is fine, works hard and contributes much more to the team than many would give him credit for. Atleast he looks to close down, force errors and find space for others, I can’t say that for many of the others right now. To be honest I’d have him over Paterson any day.

The problem for Bennett, Marriott or Waghorn is coming from those around him (is the midfield and out wide), this can be simply shown by the fact of how few clear chances we are making.

In my opinion this just isn’t about now, it’s over the past few years. Also if we are playing a front 3 then they all need to contribute to the goals. Mason simply doesn’t, neither does Flo Jo. Waghorn and Marriott do hence they don’t get the same criticism Mason unfortunately does. 

Think some of the slander towards Mason is a bit unjustified, He's a great player on his day. He may not be the best player we have but he's also not the worst, He has been played LW/RW/CF/AM and it seems like he struggles to get comfortable in a position. I think he'd suit the AM role a bit more than winger.

9 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree re Martin

re Bennett 

He’s craig Fagan, quick and hard working and can make something happen .... sometimes if our lucks  in ... in terms of the front line he’s a jack of all trades master of none 

doesn’t score goals and isn’t a wide player that’s going to get u assists 

handy option off the bench at this level and probably happy enough being that anymore and we need to start looking at what we actually aim to achieve 

Oddly enough he was joint second in the assists chart for last season and joint 6th in the scorers chart.

Even more strange is that he had half the minutes on the pitch as Mason Mount but the same number of assists.

Now I know stats don't don't tell the whole picture but I have to admit I was surprised by them. 

Tagging players in on Twitter (or whatever) is out of order in my tiny mind. Makes you look ridiculous, upsets the player unnecessarily and just leaves a bad taste in everybody’s mouth.  Football is a game of opinions and MB won’t be everybody’s cup of tea, but to slag him off like that just tars us all with an unpalatable brush.  

I know it happens to all (or a lot) of players at all clubs.  Doesn’t make it right.  

So bored of the Bennett bashing on here. Coming straight after a game where with hindsight, he was set an impossible task, it just leaves a bad taste and as @LazloW points out, it hardly creates a favourable impression of us lot. 

The lad works his socks off for Derby and while he's not shown us what many wish he had, it must be awful for him to have to read some of the comments made about him. Yes, this is a DCFC forum and yes, we should be able to debate players' abilities, good and bad, but it's a shame that so much of the focus errs towards the latter.

I’d argue he’s our best wide player.

Better than Jozefzoon, does Lawrence do enough? Shows odd glimpses but for the price paid and the games he’s been given...very average. Paterson doesn’t seem an improvement on what we have.

Getting stick but IMO, there’s other players who are more experienced and played more games at this level who fail to string a run of form together.

Most average set of attackers I’ve seen in awhile 

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Think some of the slander towards Mason is a bit unjustified, He's a great player on his day. He may not be the best player we have but he's also not the worst, He has been played LW/RW/CF/AM and it seems like he struggles to get comfortable in a position. I think he'd suit the AM role a bit more than winger.

On his day - don’t think he has ever had one in eight years he’s been here .he has not improved not scored many goals and half of them were flukes first touch is dreadful time to move him on 

Are people seriously having a go at Bennett- fully committed to Derby county and covers wide right wide left and centre forward if needed (probably would be very good in a 2) sure I would start Martin if we are wanting to hold the ball up because Bennett is a chaser and waghorn is a bit of both whilst Marriott doesn’t hold the ball either and doesn’t compete for it either - I wish we would consider using Martin as it looks obvious that he could help the team as a whole currently 

Archived