Mason Bennett

Sam_DCFC_1994

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I can’t be the only one that would rather have seen Martin up top than Bennett last night? With such a weak side I surprised he didn’t at least make the bench.

Totally agree.... would do a job whatever anyone says... 

5 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I can’t be the only one that would rather have seen Martin up top than Bennett last night? With such a weak side I surprised he didn’t at least make the bench.

Yeah, the first thing I said when I saw the team. He's a natural number 9, Bennett isn't, which means that we were always going to get a situation where Bennett was going to be isolated and wouldn't be able to support the midfielder runners. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

Totally agree.... would do a job whatever anyone says... 

not in the view of our last 3 managers but I guess you think you know more than them.  He is either ill or not performing at all in training, can't be any other reason and he therefore is unable to get a place in the 16

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

not in the view of our last 3 managers but I guess you think you know more than them.  He is either ill or not performing at all in training, can't be any other reason and he therefore is unable to get a place in the 16

Opinions are that... opinions... my opinion is in support of the comment I read. I haven’t said I am a fully qualified FA coach nor do I claim to have the experience to make random claims... however my opinion as a supporter and a season ticket holder and as a human being using a Fans Forum is such that I believe that Chris Martin whom is a striker... never mind the history and the bygones of time... still remains a striker... and a striker whom would play a traditional role better in my opinion than Mr B... as this is within his core capabilities... as you suggest, possibly he is ill, injured or maybe even on his way via a loan...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Our last 3 managers have thought he was good enough to keep around

And comparing him to Hughes just isn't fair - Hughes is a class above

Our last three managers have not seen it as a priority to move him out, which doesn't mean they thought he was good enough to keep around, it just means they saw him as one that might work out in the long run. Well, the long run has been run and it hasn't - I am sorry to say I was proved right on this one, I said all along he doesn't have what is needed to be a consistent option at this level and, while he was younger at the time, his loan spells at lower division clubs suggest he hasn't got what it takes to be a great success there either. Sorry to be so damning, really I am, but he's sadly more Callum Ball than Alan Ball.

And as for the Hughes comparision, I think the reference was Billy Hughes....

4 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

Opinions are that... opinions... my opinion is in support of the comment I read. I haven’t said I am a fully qualified FA coach nor do I claim to have the experience to make random claims... however my opinion as a supporter and a season ticket holder and as a human being using a Fans Forum is such that I believe that Chris Martin whom is a striker... never mind the history and the bygones of time... still remains a striker... and a striker whom would play a traditional role better in my opinion than Mr B... as this is within his core capabilities... as you suggest, possibly he is ill, injured or maybe even on his way via a loan...

Actually, I personally think all the Chris Martin lovers are delusionists who still believe The Smiths will reform at some point.

But even I think it would have been a good idea to play Martin last night, just so we could all get to some sort of conclusion on this endless circular discussion. It would have been the one crumb of comfort we could have taken this morning, though with zero shots on target - the most damning stat of any local Derby - it probably would only have sparked a barrage of 'but he didn't get the service' as he wardrobed himself to the ground for the umpteenth attempt to win a free kick in our own half.

12 minutes ago, Sir Ramalot said:

What would work is,for bennett in particular and others, is running off Martin's clever lay offs and flicks into the box...we are sorely lacking that incisive pass that he brings...it's not necessary to be running up and down like a loon to be a successful number 9,quite the opposite.

We saw in pre season that combo worked so well between Bennett and Martin.......god knows why cocu doesn't even give it a chance esp in last night's game...what did we have to lose?

I remember wassell finally bringing Martin back into the squad after Pearson and the team clicking again...that was years ago,I know but it surely would have been useful to have least try to utilise him if we are going to keep experimenting.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

What would work is,for bennett in particular and others, is running off Martin's clever lay offs and flicks into the box...we are sorely lacking that incisive pass that he brings...it's not necessary to be running up and down like a loon to be a successful number 9,quite the opposite.

We saw in pre season that combo worked so well between Bennett and Martin.......god knows why cocu doesn't even give it a chance esp in last night's game...what did we have to lose?

I remember wassell finally bringing Martin back into the squad after Pearson and the team clicking again...

I would agree with that.... play to people’s strengths is at the core of this in reality...

23 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Our last three managers have not seen it as a priority to move him out, which doesn't mean they thought he was good enough to keep around

If they haven't moved him out that would suggest they thought he was good enough to keep around - Surely?

And more than that - The praise he got from both Rowett and Lampard was significant - And Cocu keeps picking him (mostly for the bench) which says there's some faith in him there too

I don't think he's the greatest player ever or the best player in the squad - But he provides something a little different to the other options we have and is worth keeping around - Especially as he's a bit of a forward utility player

20 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I remember wassell finally bringing Martin back into the squad after Pearson and the team clicking again...that was years ago,I know but it surely would have been useful to have least try to utilise him if we are going to keep experimenting.

any reason you may think that this was not done.? Your loyalty from CM is great but why do you think that your view is not supported by several managers?  He could just be ill and unfit to play at any level.

Bennett is more of a striker than a winger, but doesn't have the touch or the quality to play as a lone striker well, he is best in a two upfront as shown against Leeds or as a sub winger, I don't think hes good enough but then again Lawrence,  Jozefoon and Dowell aren't good enough as well yet we still have to play them due to our lack of attacking quality in the squad now Mount and Wilson have gone and been replaced with crap.

He definitely shouldn't be starting games as he looks toothless when he's pitted against defenders who haven't been playing for 60 minutes and that's true whether he's on the wing or upfront as a striker. He's the definition of an impact player, full of power and pace to break down the door when defenders have already been working hard. I doubt he's on much money and his connection to the club means he'll be happier than most bench warming and then coming on for half an hour so he's probably worth keeping tbh. However, I seriously doubt now at the age of 23 he'll ever be a consistent regular in a good championship team tbh. 

Bennett isn't the finished article, but he needs more game time to progress any further.

There is something there (work rate and the odd moment of magic) but its probably hard to show it consistently if he only plays sporadically.

If we had the luxury of doing so a season on loan to league one or the SPL would do him wonders (like it has Lowe) - sadly he is needed as part of the match day squad so we don't have that luxury at the moment.

At the very least Bennett is a 7 figure fee sale at some point if we're smart. 

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Actually, I personally think all the Chris Martin lovers are delusionists who still believe The Smiths will reform at some point.

Given Morrissey's recent covers album I think a reunion with Marr is getting more likely by the day. 

I've said this before and I still have the same opinion, not improved in 8 years.

A decent player to bring off the bench at this level but not much more.. 

How I see it, if he drops down to League 2, he still wouldn't rip that league up..

Same as Hanson who lacked any quality at this level, he's now a bang average player in League 1..

Archived