Mason Bennett

Sam_DCFC_1994

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It shocks me that anyone could go on Twitter and do this to our players.

Bennett has children, who one day will access Twitter and may well see the things people have written about their dad.

It's one thing having an opinion on a message board, if a player decides to have a nosey that is their fault..but for someone to tag a player and call them out is shocking.

At times our club is exactly where it deserves to be at times.

Then on match day they are probably among those singing one of our own.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

U and me both lol

I honestly would have rather cocu had gone with Martin against forest .... at least he has been a 20 goal striker and is a goal scorer .... just hasn’t been for a while, I just don’t ever see it in mason ... as much as I love his enthusiasm 

Would having Martin on made any difference?

The ball wasn't really getting to the front any way and when it did it was wasted.

If Martin was on and he had the same feed, then you would just be fuelling the Martin is past it brigade. (Which I am currently in)

Genuinely don't understand why Bennett gets so much stick. Sure he doesn't always have quality going forward, but he has the ability to change the game off a bench, I can't imagine he's on too much money, and he's invaluable cover for multiple positions. On top of that, he's one of us. 

17 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Would having Martin on made any difference?

The ball wasn't really getting to the front any way and when it did it was wasted.

If Martin was on and he had the same feed, then you would just be fuelling the Martin is past it brigade. (Which I am currently in)

I don’t think he necessarily would have, it’s just in my eyes Martin has history in leading the line and scoring goals, I fully realise that this was a good few seasons ago, but what I’m saying is, he has it in his locker (maybe it’s lost forever I don’t know) where as hand on heart I don’t believe mason has got it 

Mason's fine. 

He contributed well last season, Frank used him perfectly. Not sure leading the line in a team like that on Tuesday has done him any favours, that's Phil's call though not Mason's. Maybe he isn't the man to fit in a total football type team but he has his uses when used correctly as we saw last year. Decent squad player at this level.

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

How do you measure contribution?

Directly in Goals/Assists? There isn’t much argument here and something he acknowledges himself. What I’d say his problem is, is that he’s too unselfish for a forward. That’s maybe come from a lack of confidence because he can’t get a meaningful run of games together. That’s again, in part, his own fault because he pulls muscles when over stretching for the ball rather than getting impact injuries. So..what I think I’m saying is he’s making a self fulfilling prophecy for himself by not playing a natural forwards game but still wanting to impress? So he can never settle into the side and hence why the direct contribution is low.

BUT, where Bennett’s strengths do lie is contributing to goals in the build up or even off the ball. This is in creating space for Bogle, or being able to drag players away from the middle of the pitch to leave gaps for others. To be honest a player contributing like that is largely what we’ve missed so far this season.

So, my point being that everyone wants Bennett to score more and if he wants to play at the highest levels then he does need to contribute more directly but don’t underestimate the work players like Bennett put in achieve for others.

I personally don’t see this, I see lots of huff and puff, missed chances, poor reading of the game and poor control giving possession back to opposition. I honestly feel his contribution to the team is extremely limited. 

However I'm not condoning the personal direct abuse on social media, just in my humble opinion he’s not a competent footballer at Championship level. 

37 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Genuinely don't understand why Bennett gets so much stick. Sure he doesn't always have quality going forward, but he has the ability to change the game off a bench, I can't imagine he's on too much money, and he's invaluable cover for multiple positions. On top of that, he's one of us. 

I think It is mainly because he isn’t really that good....

unlike all you part time supporters I went to florida to watch the pre season game (because i am a real fan unlike all you lot) and I have to say that Bennett was far and away the best player on the pitch (and I don’t rate him in the slightest)...It was played as a training type game (which you would have all seen if you had been there like real fans) and Bennett was all over the place, chasing everything down winning headers and even scoring a goal...so maybe this is what the manager is seeing in training every week, someone willing to train hard and work hard and this is why he is getting games.? I don’t know, I’m just a fan, what do i know (although I am a superior fan to you lot because I went to Florida to watch them) 

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

unlike all you part time supporters I went to florida to watch the pre season game (because i am a real fan unlike all you lot) and I have to say that Bennett was far and away the best player on the pitch (and I don’t rate him in the slightest)...It was played as a training type game (which you would have all seen if you had been there like real fans) and Bennett was all over the place, chasing everything down winning headers and even scoring a goal...so maybe this is what the manager is seeing in training every week, someone willing to train hard and work hard and this is why he is getting games.? I don’t know, I’m just a fan, what do i know (although I am a superior fan to you lot because I went to Florida to watch them) 

I heard the RAMS decided to go to Florida to train because they heard there would be a real fan out there on holiday

23 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I think I agree with you in the statement that he isn't really that good. And that's not some great insult, its true of the majority of our squad; and the majority of squads in the Championship.
I think that's what really bothers me the most about the abusive criticism he gets, as if he should be carrying the team single-handedly and he's a "fraud" of a player because he doesn't. He's a squad player in the Championship, swap him out and there's a very good chance we get someone worse.

As you say, he clearly puts in a ton of effort, he clearly cares; Andre Wisdom's brother (I think that's his connection anyway) was on twitter yesterday talking about how Bennett often makes cups of tea for random visitors at the training ground. 
I reckon we get better consistency of performances from Mason than we would from a player who is slightly better but doesn't care as much.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think I agree with you in the statement that he isn't really that good. And that's not some great insult, its true of the majority of our squad; and the majority of squads in the Championship.
I think that's what really bothers me the most about the abusive criticism he gets, as if he should be carrying the team single-handedly and he's a "fraud" of a player because he doesn't. He's a squad player in the Championship, swap him out and there's a very good chance we get someone worse.

As you say, he clearly puts in a ton of effort, he clearly cares; Andre Wisdom's brother (I think that's his connection anyway) was on twitter yesterday talking about how Bennett often makes cups of tea for random visitors at the training ground. 
I reckon we get better consistency of performances from Mason than we would from a player who was slightly better but didn't care as much.

Cough cough Lawrence

Mason has never been and never will be a lone striker. I wouldn’t even say he’s a winger. The formation we used at the back end of last season(the diamond) where he can play as a secondary striker alongside a main striker is for me, his best position. A position where he isn’t required to score a lot of get many goals or assists but can simply a nuisance with his workrate and press from the front and cause opposition defenders who want to play out from the back into mistakes.He was a real nuisance for Leeds in that away second leg with his energy and that helped Marriott to conserve his energy to allow him to get into goal scoring situations. 

38 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The fact that managers keep trying to play him on his own up front, when he clearly isn't a goal scorer, is a fault of the manager, not Bennett.

He should be played either on the wing or behind the striker. I'd even be tempted to try him in centre mid, just not up front on his own....especially at Wembley.

Bennett wasn’t even the problem at Wembley, I thought he did quite well and held the ball up well, showing great workrate. The problem was Lawrence not knowing what his ducking position was or his specific role. He kept drifting over to the left when he should have been getting into the middle as much as possible to support Bennett, Wilson flopped in that scenario too because as the player in the diamond as the attacking midfielder, he kept dropping too deep when he should have been getting the midfielders up the pitch.

If you watch the pre match shooting the players do, he is truly horrific. 

I honestly believe we will be better off when he's gone, because he isnt good enough for now.

As for Tuesday, I was hoping Whittaker was going to be withdrawn and Bennett moved out wide. Whittaker for me is the next Izale McCloud. Sibley and Knight have something about them but not Whittaker.

For me it's that we want to love him, we want him to do well, we want him to be the future as he's from round here, and he's okay as a wide attacker ( but poor as CF). BUT - overall he is not good enough to start regularly. He has had plenty of opportunities and not done well enough. Someone earlier said it's unfair to compare him to Hughes as he was a class above, but that is the entire point, players like Hughes would be first on the team sheet and what we need going forwards. I've not seen enough of Knight, Sibley, Buchanan et all yet, but even if one of them gets close to Hughes we will have found a gem.

I'd personally keep Bennett as a squad player for impact coming off the bench, he's pretty decent at that.

Seems a nice lad, and he loves the club. He gives his all too.  Imo though he is not good enough for a Championship team with promotion ambitions. Might again prove useful from time to time in the next few months, but it should only be from the bench. Come January we really need better.

Archived