Overreaction

I’m genuinely quite surprised by the overreaction from our fans both on social media and on here. Cocu made it perfectly clear he was going to change the side, so I’m a bit confused by the reaction of some

Forest made just as many changes, but have a far bigger squad of season pros and had more individual quality on the pitch, which showed

If Cocu’s policy is to play second string in cup competitions, whether we draw Nottingham Forest or Newport, should he neglect his policy because we’ve been matched up against our rivals? Or should we trust the man we so overwhelmingly approved of appointing?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not surprised, but I do agree it’s an overreaction. I’m not sure I would have done any different.

However.

I wonder if Cocu knew about the rivalry, or enough about it. Yes you can read about it and people can tell you about it, but it’s not the same as being there. Did he make the decision with the full facts at his disposal? Was he aware the backlash a defeat could cause?

Although understanding his nature and reading about his record, I think it highly unlikely that he cares. And I hope he doesn’t.

Stick to the plan, don’t give up when it gets a little bumpy.

I can understand it to be honest, although I wouldn't say I agree with it.

It's been a frustrating start to the season. On paper, a very tough start. We've lost one league game in which we essentially gifted them the two goals to win them the game. We've missed two penalties which would've likely seen us turn two of our draws into wins. If we had a little bit more luck/composure we could easily be sitting on ~10 points rather than 6 right now.

If we were, it would've softened the blow of the loss tonight. A defeat in the second round of the Carabao Cup is not the end of the world no matter who it's against. We want to bring young players through, but how often will we have the perfect, no-lose situation to play them. We have to chuck them in the deep end where the stakes are more than League Two Scunthorpe in the cup in order for them to grow as Championship footballers. You can play all the U-23 football in the world but at some point you reach your ceiling.

If we'd won a couple more league games, this gets put down more of a learning curve and an unwise decision from Cocu in hindsight. But now we go into a tough away game vs Brentford on the back of a 3-0 Derby defeat, and no win in 4 league games. It's far too early for "must-wins" but I think this is a really important game for us to win, purely as some fans will not react well if we're sitting 19th in the league with 6 points from six games, and knocked out the cup by Forest.

It's a gamble by Cocu that really will only be justified if we pick up 3 points at Brentford. We're not a bad side, our first XI are a good match for any side in this league and there's no reason why we can't go and win in our last ever visit to Griffin Park. With nothing but league games until January now, I'd like to see us find more of a settled side - right now mozza should be doing a prediction league on who is going to start for us, let alone score.

We've had a very busy, challenging August, if we can finish with a win I still don't think it'll have been too bad a start to the season, tonight included.

5 minutes ago, REDCAR said:

I'm sure when the dust has settled and people wake in the morn, most will agree with this.... and focus more on their bit to crap legs and arms with this years monster munching mozzies.

Loads of my family have had quite a few bad bites, and my mates dad has been sent to hospital due to feeling ill after having some bad bites on his leg, the impacts of climate change have arrived in the UK.

Just seems far too many can't see a bigger picture. You would have thought the number of managerial changes recently might make us crave stability but no, we hit a snag and it is all doom. I worry that people aren't taking to Cocu, he isn't charming us with his Chelsea charisma or pretending to be one of our own who mocks Forest with his trainers. 

We actually have someone who can see beyond a rivalry between two teams swimming in the small time, for so long it has been all Forest have...

5 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Stick to the plan, don’t give up when it gets a little bumpy.

Spot on!!  The best managers will have a long term plan and accept that there’ll be a few knock backs along the way.  The strong ones hold their ground.

Sometimes you have to move slower to move quicker if that makes sense.  If we bring some of the youth through and it means losing a few more games and a mid-table finish and we start next season with Cocu in charge I believe we’ll be in a stronger position to not just get promotion but to stay there.  I’d rather do that than keep starting again every year.

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Loads of my family have had quite a few bad bites, and my mates dad has been sent to hospital due to feeling ill after having some bad bites on his leg, the impacts of climate change have arrived in the UK.

Its been awful my friend! hope ya mates dad is OK!

Too much will be made of the selection and not enough about the performance.

I'm usually a happy clapper, but the team should've been a match for forest, or at the tge least made them work for it.

Davies, Shinnie, Evans, Hamer, Clarke and Bennett not in the new player bracket, forest made 8 changes.

Its not the selection that has irritated me, it was fine fir 2nd round league Cup. They just didn't perform very well whilst out there.

This is not an over reaction, these are my honest feelings.

I’m hurt by this. To not show any care for the rivalry is appalling in my opinion. I saw that line up and texted my work chat 4-0 Forest straight away. I work with Leeds, Forest and Fester fans.  :/ 

We didn’t have a single goal in our team tonight.

I'm NOT Cocu out, I’m just yet to see anything inspiring since the first game. He wanted to reward a team that took 84 minutes to test the Scunthorpe goal in a 1-0 win, to me wether it’s harsh or not, that Scunthorpe game was enough to see this side would be hammered against Forest.

Phillip, this isn’t walking football. We have to move the ball forward and faster.

like it or not, he would have halved the patience of a lot of fans tonight, some of these fans would have been the ones booing at Bristol. 

Amazing how we haven’t tried the diamond formation at least once yet, bearing in mind that’s the formation we used in the famous Leeds play off match. We keep switching between this weird 3 at the back- 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation when it doesn’t suit the players- even the squad players. I know formations aren’t the be all and end all but it at least gets the players starting in their preferred areas of the pitch

If we were doing better in the league then people would shrug it off

The league performances haven't been great and now some of us will take grief off Forest fans. 

Not the end of the world but I think if you say you're pleased to be out of this tinpot cup to Forest then you're lying to yourself. 

Why would anyone not want to do well in the cups? People seem pretty excited when we get through a few rounds. 

Why would anyone be ok with losing to a team who's fans we mix with 

It means we have won just 2 of our 7 competitive games so far. Yay! 

I know people moan for nothing but some people would happily cheer if you give them something to cheer for. They are rightly pissed off. 

Even though I wasn’t at the match, I can completely understand some fans frustrations after spending their hard earned money to watch what. However, we hired Cocu to hopefully guide us to the premier league however long that may be. Not to win the carabao cup. It is awful knowing that we went out to forest but we need to keep faith in cocu. It is still so early on! 

I'm distraught - everyone will remember this monumental game in the Carabao Cup for the rest of their lives, just like they remember every single result of every EM Derby match ever.

And the worst part is we'll never get a chance to erase the memory as this is the last time we'll ever play our bitter rivals who we've all been conditioned to hate for some reason we're all not quite sure of.

I expect us to be competitive in every league and cup game and tonight we were not, and a factor was undoubtedly the team selection.

Saying this and hence being critical of the manager is not an overreaction or "hating" the manager. It is what happens on football forums every day

Not especially bothered to be honest. I'd have felt significantly more disheartened if we'd have played our best team and the result was the same. 

I definitely respect that Cocu has the guts to make unpopular decisions and I'm not going to judge him fully until this time next year.

I'm genuinely quite surprised that a thread with the title "Overreaction" has been started quite frankly.

If it needs explaining that supporters who have paid their hard earned to watch their second team get easily turned over by their local rivals would be a bit peeved then it beggars belief

It is an overreaction but we have a newish side, newish manager and looking to build some momentum. Seems a little odd we changed so much. 

Don't really care about the rivalry to be honest but it does hold weight with lots of fans and the manner of the defeat will hurt some.

I genuinely think we will get stronger as they bed in but I think it was an opportunity to build some form. On to the next, 3 points and a good performance will put it to bed.

Archived