Penalty Duties

Ruud Aralliss

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Having re watched Waghorns penalty at Stoke, I was quite shocked at how poor it was and it very nearly hit Butlands feet.

Im not inspired with confidence. Should the Job go to someone else or am I just being paranoid?

Where's Blackman when you need him? 

23 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I’m glad Waghorn didn’t aim to the right, as the ball could quite possibly have nearly hit Butland’s hand.  Small margins. You could have been a gibbering wreck tonight.

? no problem with going down the middle, just it looked a bit scuffed and slightly to the right inches away from bultlands boot

2 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Hey......it went in , scuffed or no , like I said further up , it's early days,  we are finding our feet. Don't rock the boat !

Not rocking anything. Just saying it as I saw it, that it looked as if the shot was scuffed. Don't really see what that's got to do with 'early days'. 

Would prefer a shot down the middle to be at chest height or face height so the trailing leg doesn’t stop it.

Waggy’s penalty, like Brysons in the hatrick of Forest are not great pens.

Thankfully he scored. Only seen one pen from Marriott from memory and he drilled it in the corner against Man Utd.

Wilsons penalties were so good that even if the goalie went the right way, the power and accuracy meant they couldn’t be saved. Waghorns are not in that league.

He’s not a great penalty taker. Reminds me of Chris Martin who also wasn’t a great penalty taker.

To be fair we have never been that great at penalties, until Wilson last year. The great Dean Saunders couldn’t put one past Niall Quinn  ffs and Stefan Schnoor proved to be the only German capable of missing a penalty when he scuffed one at Watford. 

I just presume we will miss them which makes things less stressful. In a similar way I presume every corner we get will fail to beat the man at the near post and every corner we concede will result in a goal. 

Such a fine line between pessimism and realism.

It was a terrible penalty and Waggy got very lucky. In the "how to take a penalty" thread I stressed how people should go high as a low pen is far more likely to be saved. If we're lucky enough to get any more I'd switch him for Marriott or Keogh (who has a stunning record) or Lawrence. But I'd also have all the players practising hitting the top corners in training to see who can most be relied on.

58 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It was a terrible penalty and Waggy got very lucky. In the "how to take a penalty" thread I stressed how people should go high as a low pen is far more likely to be saved. If we're lucky enough to get any more I'd switch him for Marriott or Keogh (who has a stunning record) or Lawrence. But I'd also have all the players practising hitting the top corners in training to see who can most be relied on.

No Pen that goes in is a terrible one,  also I wouldn't like to see us start aiming them higher as they would either end up skied or hit the bar sometimes. It is possible to hit it hard and low without giving the keeper a chance, if I was practicing them I would tell the keeper where I am going to put it and then hit it hard towards the corner to practice hitting unstoppable ones, I have heard Kane and a certain Wayne Rooney practice them like that.

12 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Having re watched Waghorns penalty at Stoke, I was quite shocked at how poor it was and it very nearly hit Butlands feet.

Im not inspired with confidence. Should the Job go to someone else or am I just being paranoid?

Penalties down the middle always look fairly poor. Although in fairness he should have lifted it off the ground, that doesn't seem to be something he does for whatever reason. Maybe he had a habit of skying penalties as a youth.

But I digress, going the down the middle is a common strategy for penalty takers who missed their last penalty. It has a huge success rate. I'm not too worried.

I imagine, from January, there's a good chance a certain Mr.Rooney will be taking penalties when he's on the pitch; but until then I don't know who'd be a better option. Being the primary penalty taker probably means everyone's penalty taking as been assessed and Waghorn is likely the best we have. 
Waghorn took penalties last season, when he was on the pitch. We remember the Wilson penalties later in the season but he only took them because Waghorn wasn't playing. Which means he was seen as ahead of Wilson for them. 

People are just a little nervous cos he missed one; he still has an excellent penalty record for us. 

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Penalties down the middle always look fairly poor. Although in fairness he should have lifted it off the ground, that doesn't seem to be something he does for whatever reason. Maybe he had a habit of skying penalties as a youth.

But I digress, going the down the middle is a common strategy for penalty takers who missed their last penalty. It has a huge success rate. I'm not too worried.

I imagine, from January, there's a good chance a certain Mr.Rooney will be taking penalties when he's on the pitch; but until then I don't know who'd be a better option. Being the primary penalty taker probably means everyone's penalty taking as been assessed and Waghorn is likely the best we have. 
Waghorn took penalties last season, when he was on the pitch. We remember the Wilson penalties later in the season but he only took them because Waghorn wasn't playing. Which means he was seen as ahead of Wilson for them. 

People are just a little nervous cos he missed one; he still has an excellent penalty record for us. 

At least we're actually getting penalties. Seem to remember there was a gap of pretty much the whole season between the one we got at Hull and the next one near the end of the year.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

And   if you go high they can sail over the bar,They say the hardest to save is straight down the middle every keeper guesses which wat ro dive unless the taker has form of hitting the in just one direction,Has anybody ever actually seen a keeper stand still,I have watched football for 60 years and i have never seen it happen,

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

At least we're actually getting penalties. Seem to remember there was a gap of pretty much the whole season between the one we got at Hull and the next one near the end of the year.

Yeah, you remember correctly.

After the penalty away to Hull (1 September 2018), our next penalty was against Rotherham on 30th March. We got two in that game. Then 2 more penalties later in the season and that's it. 

5 total penalties in the league, plus one in the playoffs.

Butland had obviously watched wags last penny where he went to the right and that’s the way he dived, at least waghorn had the confidence to do something different! Yes it was close to his feet but hey it went in ! 

Some of us remember when Conor sammon was our man !

Waghorn likes going low to GK's right or left, but if the keeper guesses right he's got a chance of saving it. On Saturday Waghorn guessed GK wouldn't expect one down the middle.

He needs to take a leaf out of Mount's penalty taking book... highish left or right of keeper.

7 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Butland had obviously watched wags last penny where he went to the right and that’s the way he dived, at least waghorn had the confidence to do something different! Yes it was close to his feet but hey it went in ! 

Some of us remember when Conor sammon was our man !

Most of us would rather not though mate so thanks for the reminder! ?

Archived