Penalty Duties

Ruud Aralliss

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you are being paranoid at all. Don't think Waggy looks that confident taking them at the moment, but I am sure that confidence will come with more game time. Who would you want taking them instead? Marriott would be good, but needs to be playing more than he is just in case we get a pen in the first 70 mins.

12 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Having re watched Waghorns penalty at Stoke, I was quite shocked at how poor it was and it very nearly hit Butlands feet.

Im not inspired with confidence. Should the Job go to someone else or am I just being paranoid?

Grow a pair !

In his post-match interview he said that he knows Butland and that he tends to dive early on penalties, so going down the middle was a safer option than gambling left or right. Watching the penalty back, Butland did dive early, and I think would have stood a decent chance of getting to a shot had Waghorn put it to the left or right of him and he guessed the right way. I think he probably viewed it as a safer option than guessing left or right after having one saved last week.

39 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Having re watched Waghorns penalty at Stoke, I was quite shocked at how poor it was and it very nearly hit Butlands feet.

Im not inspired with confidence. Should the Job go to someone else or am I just being paranoid?

I’m glad Waghorn didn’t aim to the right, as the ball could quite possibly have nearly hit Butland’s hand.  Small margins. You could have been a gibbering wreck tonight.

34 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I thought it was a decent penalty to be fair. Feigned to go in the same corner as his last pen and then calmly rolled it down the middle. He had the ballls to step up again and executed it so keeps the job for me. 

Looked a bit like he sort of scuffed it. 

47 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I'm not professing to be an expert, but one school of thought on penalties says "Choose a corner and if you see the keeper starting to dive that way, redirect it the other way.". He didn't need to put it in the opposite corner, just needed to do enough to place it away from the dive.

It wasn't a great penalty. 

Never saw charlie george, alan hinton or dean saunders scuff it down the middle.

But it was slightly better than nathan ellington. 

Archived