v Scunthorpe (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

Interesting and brave line up, but it gets some much needed mins into the legs of the players who haven't featured much yet.

Can't wait to see Bielik and Shinnie in midfield, same for Marriott and Bennett in the front line, slide Max Lowe on the left.

I think Martin's exclusion is unfortunately very telling!

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

think the back 4 will be Buchanan, Bielik, Davies, Lowe; but I'm not sure.

Bird and Shinnie in front?

With Knight in the middle with Bennett and Paterson advanced and Marriott up top?

Assuming the formation hasn't changed. It could well be a formation change.

Yeah that’s what I’d go with aswell but could be anything looking at that list!

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

In fairness, while there are a lot of changes, a few of them have seen us get stronger. 

Marriott, Bielik, Lowe and Paterson should all be in the Strongest XI, imo. Plus forced into the change at RB. 

I was expecting 3-4 changes but not 11

3 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

I was expecting 3-4 changes but not 11

That's what I'm saying though, if you bring in the half-team of best players who haven't been playing yet - and those changes are all we make, then the team we are sending out is literally our strongest possible XI. 
So I don't think from the perspective of our situation, 11 changes is all that unreasonable.

Side note: I called it when I said that his comments in the press conference of "we've a lot of players very close" in terms of competition for places, sounded a lot like justification for all the changes he was about to make ? 

Shame about Martin not being involved as it probably means he is off on loan or sold somewhere unless of course he is injured, I think we will need him still.

interesting team for tonight but we seem to be lacking anyone to hold the ball up?

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Interesting and brave line up, but it gets some much needed mins into the legs of the players who haven't featured much yet.

Can't wait to see Bielik and Shinnie in midfield, same for Marriott and Bennett in the front line, slide Max Lowe on the left.

I think Martin's exclusion is unfortunately very telling!

It frustrates me, seemed to be developing the best partnership with Marriott and hasn't been given a first team opportunity ? 

Hopefully Marriott and Waghorn stay fit otherwise we're without a striker. Bennett for me isn't a striker. 

I guess no-one can accuse Cocu of not giving everyone a chance.

Personally I would have liked to see the lads who played vs Huddersfield and Swansea get more minutes and build up a greater understanding,

But you can see Cocu's thinking here as we could have five first team fixtures still to play this month if we progress.

I guess with a squad as big as ours, it's a balancing act and there's no need to risk players burning out so soon.

Wise to put Bielik in the defensive role instead of DM in his first game and away from home.  Will be interesting how Davies does beside Bielik.  Good to see young guns starting and on the bench, hope to see Sibley in action, he's an exciting talent

Just now, DazaDunn said:

It frustrates me, seemed to be developing the best partnership with Marriott and hasn't been given a first team opportunity ? 

Hopefully Marriott and Waghorn stay fit otherwise we're without a striker. Bennett for me isn't a striker. 

Perhaps Marriott's injury sealed Martin's fate. They only got 45 minutes together in pre-season, right at the start, the time when it matters least.

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

What’s the city like for supping @Pottig been meaning to have an afternoon there for quite a while. Big real ale fan and there’s a few listed for Worcester. I’m out on the rip tomorrow, looking at options. ??

It's not bad. If you're after real ale then Friar Street is your best bet. It's right in the middle of town, but then again most places worth drinking in in Worcester are fairly close together. I like the Hand in Glove which is at the end of Friar Street just over the main road. From there you'll probably want to go to the Cardinal's Hat, and then continue along Friar Street onto New Street where there's The Pheasant and the King Charles Pub (he hid there after losing the Battle of Worcester to Cromwell) right next to each other. I used to work at the Swan with Two Nicks, which is right between the two. Used to do some good ales in there also but since I've left it's gone into new ownership and I think it's more of a bistro place now. Would also recommend the Old Rectifying House, which is a bit of a walk away from those pubs but it's situated right on the river and has a lovely cocktail bar upstairs and does good grub (I believe it's a Michelin star place, could be wrong). Also the Diglis House Hotel which is a 5-10 minute stroll down river to the south and has a nice garden there right on the banks. Ye Olde Talbot, on the corner of Friar Street next to Hand in Glove, and Heroes bar a little further down are also good places for a drink, but the latter has more of a youth scene I think (I'm 25).

Anyway, Worcester will sort you for an afternoon easily. ??

Lots of changes, lots of experimenting and information gathering. .. I have to say I like this. 

In a sense I would have liked to have seen a last throw of the dice for Chris Martin with Marriott but suspect it isn’t going to happen.

Sibley is an aggressive little booger, lets see what he brings in full competition.

Glad Curtis is in .. even if he is a stand by in the future .. he needs competitive minutes 

COYR 

17 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

No Chris Martin ? not even on the bench ?

Was looking forwards to seeing him in the mix too ?

As others have said,failing waghorn getting injured in a freak staring competition with Peter Beardsley,he looks to be out of the squad.

Surely going out on loan or something,he's not the sort to sit on the sidelines.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Perhaps Marriott's injury sealed Martin's fate. They only got 45 minutes together in pre-season, right at the start, the time when it matters least.

Waghorn is leading the table for the most shots without scoring right now and doesn't seem to be in any form. Marriott has been injured/out of favour and Cocu seems to be bypassing Martin ? Just think it's risky given our circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Haha. The Chris Martin lovers having an absolute meltdown.

We'll see who's having the meltdown if Marriott can't get fit and Waghorn can't find the net or gets injured and people like you are asking where creativity and goals will come from. 

3 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

I'll always remember his time here fondly and I won't criticise him. However it's also no coincidence that he's struggled in the last couple of years with no manager here prepared to include him in their squads, he's also struggled to find a place out on loan too. 

Sad as he's always been a talented player, but I think his style increasingly doesn't suit the modern game!

Archived