v Scunthorpe (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Why would we need Shinnie at left back when, as you've said, we already have two fit left backs? Makes no sense.

Buchanan & Lowe are the full backs in this line up, probably Lowe at right back.

Can Martin play there ?  ??

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Haha. The Chris Martin lovers having an absolute meltdown.

They're called Derby fans. 

And the reason they like him is because he's scored about 60 - 70 goals for the club. 

Some people appreciate that.

Others have pathetic comments born from bitterness. Not often I call anyone's comments pathetic but imo if you can't appreciate a player that's done well for the club or respect that others held him in high regard then that nastiness. The kind of spite shown in your post above is pathetic. The kind of stuff Ninos the clown would post. 

Chris Martin goals have given Derby fans some great days out. 

Surprised and slightly uncomfortable at that lineup. The cup is certainly a time to potentially rotate your squad to keep everyone fit and get minutes in those not playing enough, but it’s not something to be taken lightly as if it’s not a competitive match. Changing your whole team out can give off the impression that you don’t care about the cup which is not the right attitude for me- it’s still a competitive tournament that we want to do well in, and at least uphold our honour throughout. It’s still a competitive match that you should be out to win just like any other match- this one has a top level trophy at the end as well! Don’t get me wrong, no manager is ultimately judged on their cup performance while in the championship fighting for promotion (maybe some of the middling prem teams would), but it would reflect poorly on cocu if we went out this round, and I’m sure most fans wouldn’t be particularly pleased. 

When you make that many changes you worry that we’re underestimating Scunthorpe and the competitiveness of the cup, and I fear that could increase the likelihood of an embarrassing slip on a banana skin which would see us lose a match that we really shouldn’t be, which really wouldn’t look good. Of course it may well pay off and we do well and win, maybe this team could even be better than the previous team, in which case cocu could come out looking like a genius and all will be rosy! Hope that’s the case and I’m not particulary criticising cocu here, just feel a little wary of things. The proof, as usual, will be on the picture, we’ll see afterwards how things go. 

Good news to see bielik starting mind, that was a little unexpected. Ditto with hamer and shinnie getting debuts but they were always likely. Good to see Buchanan get his debut too, and Sibley in the squad! Well done to Whittaker for getting involved with the big boys as well. Shame we couldn’t get Keogh and Clarke more minutes together to build a partnership though, and I’d personally have given Waghorn another chance after his nightmare at the weekend

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

So Cocu pre match says he’s taking this very seriously and then changes 11 positions? Sorry, but will hold more respect for you if you say that you want to win but I’ll be swapping players out.

Moan over, let’s hope Marriott can bag a few tonight and hope to see Sibley on the pitch at some point.

He did say he wants to win every game.  Look at it this way, if we win tonight many players will have gotten fitter and shown their capabilities, thus giving Cocu more options in near future line ups where games come thick and fast

3 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Hamer
Lowe Buchanan Davies Shinnie
                   Bielik
          Knight        Bird
                Paterson
          Bennett   Marriott

OR

Hamer
Buchanan Bielik Davies Lowe
                      Bird
              Knight   Shinnie
Paterson                       Bennett
                  Marriott

OR

Hamer
         Buchanan Bielik Davies
Lowe                Bird              Shinnie
             Knight      Paterson
             Bennett     Marriott

?‍♂️

Interesting and great to see so many academy players, anyway.                 

Or 

Hamer

Davies Bielik Buchanan

Bennett           Bird                  Lowe

Knight   Shinnie

Paterson

Mariott

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

So Cocu pre match says he’s taking this very seriously and then changes 11 positions? Sorry, but will hold more respect for you if you say that you want to win but I’ll be swapping players out.

Moan over, let’s hope Marriott can bag a few tonight and hope to see Sibley on the pitch at some point.

I am sure Cocu will be taking it seriously. Strikes me as a winner. What should be absolutely certain is that at least 9 of that team must be thinking I should be playing in the first team. Hopefully a few of them will prove that tonight, and give Cocu food for thought come Stoke.

Given rooneys arrival, its seems certain that chris will be shuffled towards another loan exit 

i would liked to have seen him on the bench. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Or

Hamer

lowe.    Davies.  Buchanan.    Shinnie

Bielik

.            Knight.     Bird

Bennett.    Marriott.   Paterson

Indeed. I don't recall seeing a lineup with so many potential formations and positions for a long time. 

I bet the opposition manager is having a breakdown at the tactics board ?

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

I am sure Cocu will be taking it seriously. Strikes me as a winner. What should be absolutely certain is that at least 9 of that team must be thinking I should be playing in the first team. Hopefully a few of them will prove that tonight, and give Cocu food for thought come Stoke.

Key for Marriott and Bielik for me. Certainly the latter will be in Cocu’s starting 11 on paper as it stands so the quicker we can get to this, the better.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is Bielik an option at RB? Giving us something a bit more balanced and players where they’re more comfortable.

Roos

Bielik Davies Buchanan Lowe

Knight Bird Sibley

Bennett Marriott Paterson

Your line up is the one I'd be most comfortable with.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is Bielik an option at RB? Giving us something a bit more balanced and players where they’re more comfortable.

Roos

Bielik Davies Buchanan Lowe

Knight Bird Sibley

Bennett Marriott Paterson

Maybe swap Bielik and Bird? 

4 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Appreciate that mate, will make a note of those, most in Beer Guide I think but I’ll follow up your info. Top stuff! Not sure yet when I’ll go, report back when I’ve had success ?

Hope you enjoy it when you do visit. ? Loads more pubs I could mention too (Firefly, Eagle Vaults, not to mention the couple of Wetherspoons). Just a shame we don't really have much of a football club anymore. Could have got your non-league fill a couple of years ago.

I think Lowe will be playing Right Back. Get's him used to the position against a team from a lower league. Shinnie left back as he was played there for Aberdeen before Lowe turned up.

Davies and Buchanan were a regular CB pairing in pre-season.

4231 with Bielik and Bird in the two holding positions.

15 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Hamer
Lowe Buchanan Davies Shinnie
                   Bielik
          Knight        Bird
                Paterson
          Bennett   Marriott

OR

Hamer
Buchanan Bielik Davies Lowe
                      Bird
              Knight   Shinnie
Paterson                       Bennett
                  Marriott

OR

Hamer
         Buchanan Bielik Davies
Lowe                Bird              Shinnie
             Knight      Paterson
             Bennett     Marriott

?‍♂️

Interesting and great to see so many academy players, anyway.                 

the second one is basically what has been put up on the Sky app, with paterson and bennett swapped over. 

Archived