Rample

v Scunthorpe (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Interesting dilemma this one - give a few younger players a go/get some players up to full speed, have a look at what some fringe players can do OR use this as an opportunity to improve the cohesion of the team.

Personally, I'd go with the latter of the two. Looking at how we played on Saturday, and also against Huddersfield, I think that we look incredibly solid at the back - genuinely I think we look so well drilled. But what is clear is that we are still yet to 'click' going forward. So far this season we've relied on a bit of individual brilliant from Lawrence. I can't say I'm too concerned - getting us solid was always the bigger challenge and I do think that inb time, our attack will click. Which is why I'd go full strength at Scunthorpe.

Hamer (go for a cup GK - get him some game time and provide competition for Roos

Bateman (looks like the only recognised right back and needs game time if he's going to cover for the injured Bogle)

Keogh

Clarke (keep up the good understanding they seem to have and keep continuity)

Malone (could be a key player for us going forward on the overlap. Need him to click with the attack)

Bielik (get some minutes under his belt. Maybe play 45-60 and then replace with Evans to prepare him for Stoke)

Knight (I'd like to see him spend more time in the line up and wouldn't be anti-him starting in the league - if Holmes can come on for 20 mins, get him some game time as I think he'll be important for us)

Dowell

Jozefzoon/Paterson (whoever Cocu sees as his winger going forward)

Lawrence

Waghorn (bagging a goal could do his confidence the world of good. Went on a few decent runs last season)

Roos

Lowe Keogh Clarke Malone

Shinnie

Knight Bennett

Jozefzoon Marriott Paterson

Bielik to get 30 minutes off the bench, plus one of the kids to come on at full-back to give Malone a rest, and Sibley to come on for Flo-Jo and Bennett goes wide. Win 4-0. Marriott hat-trick, plus Clarke from a corner. Phil Cocu to wave in slightly embarrassed fashion to the crowd on 65 minutes. Pleasantly mild evening. Pies suspiciously tepid. Likewise the beer.

Worcester City are my local team. Took these lot to the longest penalty shootout in FA cup history in the second round at Aggborough (2014) where we ultimately lost. So I have unfinished business with Scunthorpe. Come on you Rams, avenge us.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The most important part of this game is finding a Bogle replacement. It's unfortunate that not only are the two other players who played there last season (Wisdom and Holmes) are injured, but Anya who is next most capable is also out for 3 months. 2 games of the season palyed and we're down to our 5th choice RB! It likely means that Bateman is now in pole position due to playing there in preseason. Other options are Evans, Keogh or Lowe. A more radical option is 3 at the back (Keogh, Davies and Clarke), with someone like Bennett at wing back.

Bogle, Holmes, Wisdom, Anya... Is RB the new LB? 

Depends on how big Bogle's injury is. If he's going to be out for a while and us down on potential back ups as well, I'd be tempted to use it as a trial run of a back three whilst getting minutes for players coming back from injury and play something like: 

Roos

Keogh  Evans  Clarke

Jozefsoon    Holmes  Bielik   Lowe       

Lawrence

Waghorn Mariott

Difficult decisions to make with the disrupted preseason. A few players need some minutes but the team also need to gel.

I’d probably play Keogh at right back with Evans and Clarke in the centre and Lowe on the left. 

Shinnie and Bielek need some minutes and Paterson needs to play more with this team to settle in so that’s my central midfield 3. 

Zoon needs a morale boost and Bennett needs playing time so that’s the wide areas.

Waggy and Marriott need a goal but I’d probably go with Marriott to try and get at least 60-70 minutes playing time as he comes back to full fitness.

Bench will depend on who plays for the U23’s tonight. 

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Depends on how big Bogle's injury is. If he's going to be out for a while and us down on potential back ups as well, I'd be tempted to use it as a trial run of a back three whilst getting minutes for players coming back from injury and play something like: 

Roos

Keogh  Evans  Clarke

Jozefsoon    Holmes  Bielik   Lowe       

Lawrence

Waghorn Mariott

I do think this kind of formation suits the players we have available.  Just not convinced Cocu thinks the same... yet. 

I suspect he will try to persevere with his preferred formation for a while before trying something so 'drastic'.

Posted (edited)

I'd go all change (apart from Evans), 

Keeper - Stick Hamer in and if he makes a mess of it we know never to let him near the first team

Right back - Let Lowe continue there, get a bit more accustomed to that side in a less important game - he's most likely to cover it

Left back - McDonald, just to rest Malone. I'd also say he's further developed than Bateman

Central defence - Davies and Evans (would say Buchanan but don't want to include too much youth with McDonald already in, maybe some minutes off the bench) - Keogh and Clarke will play enough in the next 9 months

Holding mid - Shinnie, because he can last the full 90 and cover for more inexperienced players around him

Centre mid - Bielik and Knight. Bielik won't last the full 90 so Sibley on to replace him in second half

Wide players - Bennett on the right, Paterson on the left

Up front - Marriott as long as he lasts be it 45 or 60 minutes. Either Martin to replace or Bennett to move up top and a winger on.

Hamer

Lowe Davies Evans McDonald

Shinnie

Knight Bielik (Sibley)

Bennett Marriott Paterson

Subs: Mitchell, McDonald. Buchanan, Sibley, Thorne, Whittaker, Martin

Reckon that will do it, including protecting our players and building match fitness as needed. 

That said if the man opts to go for a near first team line up then I'm happy with that, as long as we don't risk Lawrence or pick up silly injuries.

Edited by Rample
Missed Anya being injured

Extremely surprised to see Paul Hurst is the Scunthorpe manager. I remember when Ipswich Town were in talks with Frank Lampard over the manager's job and ended up with Hurst, who many tipped as a safer and better choice following good work at Shrewsbury. One is now the Chelsea manager, the other is managing the team currently bottom of the league two. 

Hamer
Lowe Keogh Davies Forsyth
                 Bielik
       Knight         Shinnie
              Paterson
       Marriott    Bennett

Holmes to get some minutes off the bench if he's ready. Martin to make an appearance if we have any intention of using him this season.

Clarke might need a bit of a rest but Keogh to remain ever present. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Buchanan, Bateman, McDonald, Sibley, Knight, Bird, Wilson & Whittaker all missing from the U23 team tonight. I wouldn't suggest that all will be involved tomorrow, but that's quite startling. 

Probably about 3 to start and the rest on the bench,  always good to give youth an opportunity in games like this, mix them in with some good pros and see how they do, Bogle made his debut at this stage of the competition last year, and look how well he did, deffo the young right back to start with maybe Knight and Sibley, time will tell.

Posted (edited)

U23s squad would imply a fair few at least travelling and preparing with the squad:

Bateman 

Buchannan

MacDonald

Bird 

Sibley

Knight

Wittacker

Maybe T. Wilson? 

Excuse spellings, I'm on holiday and drunk too much to care for spellchecker 

Edited by whiteroseram
Missed Wittacker