January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but they openly acknowledged a while ago(might have been Sam rush who said this?) that they only scout players in a particular area, particular countries and leagues

It was Gary Rowett, I believe, he said they did this as it was easier and quicker for those players to settle and acclimatise, so therefore less of a gamble. 

16 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I know Steve McClaren personally was interested in him, why didn’t we get him then like he wished or at least as a club go really hard to get him then like we did with Blackman the year before to get his signature ahead of Sheffield Wednesday? 1.8 million for who many saw at the time to be the “new dele alli” is a cup of tea, instead we kept buying old players from the championship-someone was advising the club to focus on these past their best championship players instead of young hungry players from lower leagues or leagues from abroad. One of the times a manager personally went out off his own back to scout a player, we didn’t get him ?

We offered £2m for Watkins, according to Mel, we were told they wanted £4m, so we walked away, they then sold him to Brentford for less than what we had offered.

I hate it when people bash the club with Ollie Watkins, when we did what we should have done, and not pay over the top fees. 

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

We offered £2m for Watkins, according to Mel, we were told they wanted £4m, so we walked away, they then sold him to Brentford for less than what we had offered.

I hate it when people bash the club with Ollie Watkins, when we did what we should have done, and not pay over the top fees. 

Chelsea are now sniffing around Watkins.

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If the recruitment wasn't bad then we wouldn't be in the position. Let's break it down: 

16/17 - finished 9th. 
Matej Vydra - signed £8m - sold £11m - considering his wages, it's a small profit. 
Ikechi Anya - signed £4m - unsellable - considering his wages, best part of £7m wasted.
David Nugent - signed £2m - released - did okay, no resale value

17/18 - finished 6th
Tom Lawrence - signed £7m - value now, possibly half that especially when you factor in wages.
Andre Wisdom - signed £4m - value now, possibly less than a quarter of that when you factor in wages. 
Tom Huddlestone - signed £2.5m - value now, next to nothing due to age.
Cameron Jerome - signed £1.5m - released - did okay, no resale value
Curtis Davies - signed £500k - exceeded his price tag, but no resale value. 

18/19 - finished 6th
Martyn Waghorn - signed £6m - value now, possibly half that if we're being generous. 
Jack Marriott - signed £4m - value now, perhaps recoup what we've paid
Florian Jozefzoon - signed £3m - value now, less than a 10th of that. We would probably pay to get rid due to wages.
Duane Homes - £300k - value now, likely profit but nothing daft - £2m. 
George Evans - £500k - value now, possibly less but roughly the same.
Scott Malone - £3m - value now, considerably less when you factor in wages. A free to good home kind of deal. 

19/20 - currently 16th
Krystian Bielik - signed £10m - showed reasonable potential, nothing like what we paid though. Injury will impact resale value, nothing we could do about that.
Graeme Shinnie - signed free - decent player, will have resale value and we paid nowt for him. I think you have to give it to them here. 
Wayne Rooney - signed free - good player, currently picks up £90k a week in wages though. No resale value. 

I'd make that two players that we're in a position to move on for more than we paid out of 17 - Shinnie and Holmes. It's very poor requirement, we're also on course for a lower mid-table finish, perhaps even worse with the impending point deduction. 

I don’t know if you’ve done it intentionally or not but a lot of this figures are if all add-ons are met. I think looking at it solely from resale value is a little unfair as well. You have to factor in the context. 

Anya was a part of a rebuilding process that was stopped after a couple of months. He was identified to play in a 442. The managerial changes is what’s affected his value and output. 

The likes of Davies, Huddlestone and Ledley were, whilst old and little chance of resale, cheap and available to help Rowett rapidly build a new starting XI in his mould. 

Rowett wanted a solid right-back who defended first. We sold Christie and signed Wisdom. Same age, suited Rowett’s system better, entirely funded by Christie’s sale. 

Jerome fired us over the line, into the play-offs and we made our money back on him. 

Malone seemed odd at the time but I guess Lampard didn’t have faith in Lowe and Fozzy’s comeback. 

I wouldn’t have signed both Waghorn and Marriott but Lampard’s theory was having a centre-forward who was mobile and so we needed two rather than one. 

You don’t appoint Pearson and we don’t sign Vydra, Anya or Nugent and Martin remains on his 14/15 contract. 

You don’t appoint Rowett and we aren’t signing a host of older players, nor are we probably selling Ince and replacing him with Lawrence. 

Lampard onwards is realistically the judgement point of which the only true stinker is Flo Jo. Waghorn and Malone were lazy at worst.

Rooney wasn’t the recruitment team (nor was Bradley Johnson actually). The owner will every so often hear of an achievable signing that’s too good to be true and offer it the manager as a ‘present’. 

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Didn’t stop us going for NickBlackman though did it for that price? Sorry I don’t buy that, and even if that was true , that doesnt explain why didn’t we go back in for him once we found out that Brentford had a bid for 1.8 million accepted, we did the same with Nick Blackman the year before, Sheffield Wednesday were close to getting him before we went back in for him.  If we really wanted Watkins and the club really backed McClaren, we would have got him one way or another, instead the club were more obsessed with achieving promotion as quickly as possible by focusing more so on championship players

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

I suppose it’s the van Dijk argument. If you’re absolutely certain how good he is you pay it. 

But then you could argue it would make us pushovers.

1 minute ago, Sexydadbod said:

Didn’t stop us going for NickBlackman though did it for that price? Sorry I don’t buy that, and even if that was true , that doesnt explain why didn’t we go back in for him once we found out at Brentford had a bid for 1.8 million accepted, we did the same with Nick Blackman the year before, Sheffield Wednesday were close to getting him before we went back in for him.  If we really wanted Watkins and the club really backed McClaren, we would have got him one way or another

We found out after he signed. 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

The owner will every so often hear of an achievable signing that’s too good to be true and offer it the manager as a ‘present’. 

Is that true?

Allardyce was talking about this on TalkSPORT and said when he was at West Ham the owners would sign someone of their own back if they wanted them and they’d just turn up at training.

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Chelsea are now sniffing around Watkins.

This is exactly is my point, there was no long term plan at that stage(and I still don’t think there is), the club were desperate for promotion so only focused on over the hill championship players, instead of planning diligently for the future. I don’t know know many people we have on their scouting team, but a team with good recruitment will have people scouting all around the world, instead of focusing on certain places.

Everyone and his dog who saw Watkins’ season at Exeter knew he was going to be a heck of a player, why didn’t we go back in for him (I don’t mean half heartedly) when the option was there, McClaren wanted him. If Watkins himself refused, then there’s nothing you can about that, but at least try to make it hard for Brentford to get him instead of giving them an easy path to go get him. 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Cocu press conference on DET

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-transfer-news-live-3793077

Another possible 'out' besides MB....

jo-Flo to Stoke?

Hudds to Italy

Bogle to raise cash

DET even speculated on Martin the other day

Anya to complete Liverpool's squad for the final push?

Least something might happen tomorrow then ?

6 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Is that true?

Allardyce was talking about this on TalkSPORT and said when he was at West Ham the owners would sign someone of their own back if they wanted them and they’d just turn up at training.

I know for certain that Rooney and Johnson were both cases of us hearing of opportunities to sign them rather than scouting and it’s been put to the manager. They weren’t signed without the manager’s say so but it’s still weird.

28 minutes ago, rynny said:

With this one, I just get the feeling Exeter either didn't want to deal with us, or already had an agreement in place with Brentford.  Maybe even as far as Watkins giving them verbal agreement, before we even bid.  For all we know Brentford had kept tabs on him a lot longer than we had.  Might even have been how our deal was structured that put them off.  

Archived