Scott Sinclair - signed for PNE

DcFc Dyycheee

Tom Lawrence... Initially, I though he was a great signing, i even defended him on here a while back. Now, I am just not a fan. It's not even down to one thing either, there are many that build up as you watch a player over time.

Consistency, 1 good game in 10-15

Often not involved in the game

Seems petulant, cups ears to fans, picks up so many avoidable yellow cards

Well publicised off the field activity

Play breaking break down when the ball gets to him, doesn't seem a team player either

Often delivers free kicks and corners in a Ronaldo style, with little success, also uses this technique to blast shots wayward in open play. 

Flatters to deceive and imo the most frustrating in the team.

For 7 million, I'd have him as one of our poorest recent signings and he would have to go some way to change my opinion.

Anyway... back on topic, Scott Sinclair? No thank you, let's build the youth around Rooney, it makes far more sense, both in the long term and from a financial perspective.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good signing for Preston. They have their wage cap in place, no doubt he'll be at the summit of that, but he's had a great career in Scotland. It wasn't that long ago I remember some news outlets linking him with an England call up - in the build up to the 2018 World Cup. 

I suspect that he will still have influence in this league.

This is where Derby fans stun me with the desire to sign absolutely anyone just to have a signing.

This is a guy who is 31 in March. He's played a little under 180 minutes of football this season and hasn't played for Celtic fully since last March. You would expect he will take 2/3 months to get up to speed so really it is a signing for next season.  

Fair play to Preston he fits in with the profile they need of bringing in an experienced midfielder to support a relatively young squad. We absolutely don't need that. 

It's what we have been rightly critical of signing in the past. Players who were in their prime 3/4 years ago. Not now.

I remember having the chance of signing Junior Hoilett, a similar player to Sinclair, he was too old for us also.

He then got promoted with Cardiff.

He would have been a cracking signing for us, 40 goals for Celtic shows he still knew where the net was. If we has the money I'm sure he would have been on our radar.

4 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

This is where Derby fans stun me with the desire to sign absolutely anyone just to have a signing.

This is a guy who is 31 in March. He's played a little under 180 minutes of football this season and hasn't played for Celtic fully since last March. You would expect he will take 2/3 months to get up to speed so really it is a signing for next season.  

Fair play to Preston he fits in with the profile they need of bringing in an experienced midfielder to support a relatively young squad. We absolutely don't need that. 

It's what we have been rightly critical of signing in the past. Players who were in their prime 3/4 years ago. Not now.

No you're right. I personally think he will still be able to influence games this season and win games for Preston. I do agree he isn't what we should be looking at, but let's wait and see who we get, if any. 

47 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

No you're right. I personally think he will still be able to influence games this season and win games for Preston. I do agree he isn't what we should be looking at, but let's wait and see who we get, if any. 

Someone who can play wide and supplement our attacking options 

sounds bang on what we want tbh

currently we have Bennett , Lawrence and flojo as our options so he’s exactly what we need 

I’m slightly disappointed as I remember seeing him star for Swansea in a side trying to play a similar way to us now 

I think he would have been a good fit , IF the money was right from our point of view as has been pointed out he’s not getting any younger 

a tidy player imo 

but hey ho plenty more fish 

25 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Someone who can play wide and supplement our attacking options 

sounds bang on what we want tbh

currently we have Bennett , Lawrence and flojo as our options so he’s exactly what we need 

I’m slightly disappointed as I remember seeing him star for Swansea in a side trying to play a similar way to us now 

I think he would have been a good fit , IF the money was right from our point of view as has been pointed out he’s not getting any younger 

a tidy player imo 

but hey ho plenty more fish 

That was literally 10 years ago. Kris Commons was good 10 years ago.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

That was literally 10 years ago. Kris Commons was good 10 years ago.

Yes and he’s still better than the options we have currently lol 

but as I said it’s not the end of the world 

Iv always quite liked him that’s all and feel he ticked enough boxes 

On 07/01/2020 at 14:13, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Tom Lawrence... Initially, I though he was a great signing, i even defended him on here a while back. Now, I am just not a fan. It's not even down to one thing either, there are many that build up as you watch a player over time.

Consistency, 1 good game in 10-15

Often not involved in the game

Seems petulant, cups ears to fans, picks up so many avoidable yellow cards

Well publicised off the field activity

Play breaking break down when the ball gets to him, doesn't seem a team player either

Often delivers free kicks and corners in a Ronaldo style, with little success, also uses this technique to blast shots wayward in open play. 

Flatters to deceive and imo the most frustrating in the team.

For 7 million, I'd have him as one of our poorest recent signings and he would have to go some way to change my opinion.

Anyway... back on topic, Scott Sinclair? No thank you, let's build the youth around Rooney, it makes far more sense, both in the long term and from a financial perspective.

In hindsight, replacing Ince with Lawrence will go down as the modern day equivalent of replacing Commons with Ben Davies.

1 minute ago, Ramshankered said:

In hindsight, replacing Ince with Lawrence will go down as the modern day equivalent of replacing Commons with Ben Davies.

We sold Ince for a lot more than it cost to buy Lawrence. The three major signings in that 17/18 were signed for less than the player they were replacing.
Ince - Lawrence, Jerome and a bag full of money
Hughes - Huddlestone, a very large bag full of money
Christie - Wisdom and Davies

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Lawrence and Waghorn seem to be first choice wide men. Holmes and Knight have also been used out wide.

I know 

but Lawrence has been shocking this season and I can’t help but think if he’s a bit broken without being harsh 

and Waggy is inconsistent our wide 

I would like to see more of holmes higher up as I think he’s much more effective when he can influence proceedings at the business end of the pitch 

36 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I know 

but Lawrence has been shocking this season and I can’t help but think if he’s a bit broken without being harsh 

and Waggy is inconsistent our wide 

I would like to see more of holmes higher up as I think he’s much more effective when he can influence proceedings at the business end of the pitch 

Lawrence needs a break. His mum passed away towards the back end of last year and the Keogh business wont be helping him concentrate on his football. The emergance of Knight in recent weeks has meant that his suspension didn't hit us as much as Cocu seemed to think it would. I think giving him an extended time out to sort his head out will do him good.

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I remember having the chance of signing Junior Hoilett, a similar player to Sinclair, he was too old for us also.

He then got promoted with Cardiff.

He would have been a cracking signing for us, 40 goals for Celtic shows he still knew where the net was. If we has the money I'm sure he would have been on our radar.

Having the chance? D'you mean he was available, we were rumoured to be interested or we actually made an offer?

Archived