Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

2 minutes ago, Barnetbyram said:

i wonder if maybe FL might have had a little influence on this.....

I wonder if sponsors may have have a little influence on this as well...Imagine you are the MD of 32Red and one of the clubs you are sponsoring is about to sign Wayne Rooney rather than Johnny Nobody from Someteam United...You may be enclined to try to facilitate the former over the line by offering a few incentives. 

Wayne Rooney brand is 17.1M followers on twitter, in terms of club exposure every media home and some abroad has reported the rumour/news this evening. Potential investors may not know be able to name any of our players but they will have heard of Rooney/Cocu/Lampard/Cole.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see Wayne wearing a Rams shirt,  but me think there is a bit more to this than football.

Uncle Mel you are a genius if you pull this off!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think those things will certainly be good side effects from the move. Ultimately though, I think this move is because Rooney is still a phenomenal player at this level, and with his reputation as one of the finest players of his generation, and one of England’s all time greats, he can only have a positive impact on our young players coming through.

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

B9AA4762-F3A8-419A-A2F0-B6FAC60AC0F0.jpeg.70da19f06ce03eaeb6c544681e9d5075.jpeg339BCD3F-EFA8-4A69-97F4-02288B9E3339.jpeg.a06b3acf29c6b25e1c3c90ed343d79c6.jpeg

2B662AD4-543F-492A-AD3A-AD27B0DC5D13.jpeg.7766be84c69f9bf690c27006bffb9713.jpeg

Currently working overtime to convince the boys from the pub/minibus that this is a good idea.

"How the ____ we going to afford Romney"
Are we linked with Mitt now, as well?

I can understand the excitement, but I am not in favour of this move at all.

It smacks of indulgence.

Rooney is a fantastic player, no doubt about that! He would walk into our team and is more than capable of flourishing at this level.

But does the team then become all about that one individual? Will it affect team spirit? Will it put unnecessary pressure upon the players and the manager? A Championship club breaks the bank and signs a player of Rooney’s calibre and that elevates them to favourites, surely?

Personally I think we could do without the sideshow, especially as it doesn’t align with our strategies - cutting costs, trimming the wage bill, spending sensibly, and putting a young, competitive and hungry squad together.

If this happens, we might as well rename the club PR FC.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Don’t get me wrong, if I was a fan of any other club, I’d be very excited too.

But it’s us, isn’t it?

When we make a big splash, how often does it end up working out?

Usually it ends up going horribly wrong.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Missus is absolutely fuming as I keep walking from room to room screaming ROOOONNNEEEYYYYYYY

Mine laughed in my face, claiming it's fake news.  Shut up woman, it's on every news outlet, i excitedly exclaimed.  Unfazed and still shrieking with merriment she replied, exactly, fake news!

Please let this happen. I've not seen him much at DC United but he seemed perfectly capable at Everton when they actually played him in his best position. At 33 he's still within his sell by date and would be a great leader for the squad to have. If you think of the increased profile of the club he'd easily pay for himself as well which is another bonus. 

11 hours ago, Kirkbyram said:

This makes sense on two levels.

1. He’s still a quality footballer. Would be streets ahead of most in this league.

2. We are clearly looking for investment. That’s why we bought Cocu in and that’s why we will be bringing Rooney in (if it happens). He’s very marketable in US and Far East.

Mel is making sensible decisions. Rooney like lampard will probably cover the cost of his wages by all the extra sponsorship money, games shown abroad etc...

Big yes from me.

Rooney must be one of the most marketable players around in Asia and Africa as well. Chelsea(Lampard) is big but United is massive around the world(in terms of pure numbers) and the generation that follows will all have idolised or been massive fans of Wazza growing up. 

Archived