Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

So, coaching wage budget. Does it count towards FFP or not? Asking on behalf of a Mr S Gibson, Middlesboro.

Not if it's within the youth infrastructure ?

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Sounds like our boards opened negotiations with dc uniteds then, be interesting to see how far through those talks we are. Weird cocu says his coaching staff is complete mind, does that mean the whole things a wind up, or just the coaching bit is wrong and he’s coming as just a player?

Actually scrap that- looks like this one is real, have to see what happens tomorrow! Hopefully we can come up with a contract he’ll accept tomorrow and we’ll have him officially announced, signed and sealed by the end of the day! Shame he won’t be available until January though, we still need more players in the mean time.

What he means is its a done deal so he knows his coaching staff is complete.

Its a world where we have been labouring in the second tier for over a decade and with no footprint globally....where billionaires buy football clubs, players go for £200mil and an average defender is moving for £80mil 

We are potentially knocking that story off the headlines and signing the most important player of his generation and who burst onto the scene at 16/17 as a fully fledged phenomenon. He can still play a fair bit and wants to help the youth, won't cost a huge transfer fee and will catapult us into the public consciousness.

Yet some people are against it. I can't fathom it.

If he is there Sat I will buy a shirt with Rooney on the back myself. 

50 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Remember that time when he went a full 4 years without scoring a competitive goal for England?

Who knows, maybe he'll be a good coach. After all, he was renowned for his intelligence.

How boring are you? Over a decade ago... this guy was one of the best strikers in the premier league for over a decade, he’s won everything there is to win domestically and your pointing out he didn’t score for England for a few years. 

Manchester United - (the most decorated team in English history, dominated English football for 2 decades) Rooney was a mainstay for Sir Alex when he signed, I guess he got it wrong playing him in all those games, scoring all those goals providing all those assists because he didn’t score a competitive goal for England for a few years. 

And let’s be honest there’s not a lot of footballers that are renowned for their intelligence but everyone who speaks about Rooney have all said he’s a student of the game, never stops watching games and studying players etc... so I reckon he may not be able to write a decent book but he might be able to coach our players.  

Providing Cocu is happy with him coming in, and he's not going to be on stupid wages, then there's no downside to this...

And to think up til around 6pm last night, I wasn't crazy excited about this season, but after hearing this, and seeing last nights performance I'm...

overjoyed so excited GIF by Demic

17 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

This would be a very good signing for most Premier league clubs... Also he wasnt mpast it when he went back to Everton... Wasn't he joint top of their assists, most key passes and still scored 14 goals... He was probably their best player 

Not sure why anyone would be against this he is another level a genuine world class player in his day and at 33 probably has a few years in him. 

He was their top scorer in the league as well. He would easily be the best player in the Championship. Whilst some may question the quality of the MLS he is still scoring a lot of wonder goals there both in open play and from set pieces.

I wonder if there is a wider implication here.  Perhaps there may also be some form of investment link-up with the owners of DC United?  Seems a neat brand fix in terms of the “DC” element, and maybe also a place for a few of our Academy players to start cutting their teeth in competitive games.  

18 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Its a world where we have been labouring in the second tier for over a decade and with no footprint globally....where billionaires buy football clubs, players go for £200mil and an average defender is moving for £80mil 

We are potentially knocking that story off the headlines and signing the most important player of his generation and who burst onto the scene at 16/17 as a fully fledged phenomenon. He can still play a fair bit and wants to help the youth, won't cost a huge transfer fee and will catapult us into the public consciousness.

Yet some people are against it. I can't fathom it.

If he is there Sat I will buy a shirt with Rooney on the back myself. 

Because they are idiots ?

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Providing Cocu is happy with him coming in, and he's not going to be on stupid wages, then there's no downside to this...

And to think up til around 6pm last night, I wasn't crazy excited about this season, but after hearing this, and seeing last nights performance I'm...

overjoyed so excited GIF by Demic

The only thing I'm not excited about is him not being able to play for half a season?? Unless him cancelling his dc united contract would mean he can come immediately ????

13 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

How boring are you? Over a decade ago... this guy was one of the best strikers in the premier league for over a decade, he’s won everything there is to win domestically and your pointing out he didn’t score for England for a few years. 

Manchester United - (the most decorated team in English history, dominated English football for 2 decades) Rooney was a mainstay for Sir Alex when he signed, I guess he got it wrong playing him in all those games, scoring all those goals providing all those assists because he didn’t score a competitive goal for England for a few years. 

And let’s be honest there’s not a lot of footballers that are renowned for their intelligence but everyone who speaks about Rooney have all said he’s a student of the game, never stops watching games and studying players etc... so I reckon he may not be able to write a decent book but he might be able to coach our players.  

Yeah, but remember on his logic, any goal he scored against teams of lower calibre than the top clubs don't count.....ffs

How can we afford this? - well let’s assume he has more than enough in the bank ! - pay him a coaching wage on a par with others and pay as you play on the pitch within our measured budget - if that is fine with him then great 

let’s not even mention the extra money this brings in from sponsorship,TV, attendances etc 

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

The only thing I'm not excited about is him not being able to play for half a season?? Unless him cancelling his dc united contract would mean he can come immediately ????

Not sure why he'd come mid-season to the UK for just negotiations. 

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I think even if they do, he still can't sign til there season ends.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I wonder if there is a wider implication here.  Perhaps there may also be some form of investment link-up with the owners of DC United?  Seems a neat brand fix in terms of the “DC” element, and maybe also a place for a few of our Academy players to start cutting their teeth in competitive games.  

DC United owners also own Swansea I believe, they already do the same thing with them unfortunately. 

Strangely, makes me wonder if Swansea was ever a destination for Wayne.

12 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He was their top scorer in the league as well. He would easily be the best player in the Championship. Whilst some may question the quality of the MLS he is still scoring a lot of wonder goals there both in open play and from set pieces.

It's almost as if we just lost a loan player who often didn't seem to be up to much and then changed matches with a well timed world beating set piece!

Providing he still has the legs to press teams and look strong for 60 plus mins I'm delighted if this comes off.

Archived