Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about this there could a number of ways that this plays out to benefit the club.

Exposure and profile were raised with Lampard but Rooney is another generation on and one that embraces social media and general exposure. Lampard had 3.2m Instagram followers....Rooney has 14.2m. From a profile perspective that is incredible.

That leads onto investment.  If you're looking to bring it in from Asia, Middle East or the US then this is the sort of exposure these teams crave. Couple that with an existing high profile manager in Cocu and you have the makings of a significant investment opportunity.

Away from that we have the 'player/coach' role. IF he signs it will first and foremost be as a player. There is then the opportunity for him to do some work, as has been done by Giggs/Gerrard/Terry/Lampard, with the U23's. This enables him to finish his badges and gain the required amount of hours coaching.  So if he comes in as 'player/coach'it will be as part of the under 23 coaching staff. Not the main coaching team.  

There are two major benefits for Derby to that. As a club the appointment Cocu signalled an intent to develop youth further. So you bring in an inspirational player who broke through at around 16 years old, has had a long career with significant downs as well as ups and if he is managed well he can really help those players step up and transition under the wider guidance of Cocu and the team.

Now comes the potential genius of this. I think I am right in saying that Academy costs are exempt from FFP losses. To encourage home grown talent development and make sure that isn't cut back when costs are cut. So if Rooney comes in as 'player/coach's it doesn't take a creative accountant to ser that you can write off half at least half his salary into Academy costs. 

Thus you are developing young players through inspirational leadership, you're creatively making your way around FFP whilst taking the club forward, you are also putting the club in, outside of the Prem, the biggest shop window going in terms of investment. 

I think it's quite exciting.

Rich man's Waghorn, but old and been on the fags for years.

Mel might be seeing the wee dollar signs lighting up his eyes commercially but he's hardly the future on the playing side. But then I as on the "Ashley Cole was let go in America because he was past it grumpwagon"

Its marginally more interesting than Adam Rooney I guess.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Rich man's Waghorn, but old and been on the fags for years.

Mel might be seeing the wee dollar signs lighting up his eyes commercially but he's hardly the future on the playing side. But then I as on the "Ashley Cole was let go in America because he was past it grumpwagon"

Its marginally more interesting than Adam Rooney I guess.

You can’t have a team full of future players.

I’m all for it.

He has more to offer as a player than Ashley Cole and our players can learn from him. He’s a winner and will gee everyone up.

He’s most likely to be an impact sub because he will have played a lot by January.

Bring it on!

There are a few who seem concerned he will cost too much. That is pure conjecture. If Rooney wishes to learn a coaching role I would imagine his agreement with Derby will be mutually beneficial. Rooney imo is a humble guy who would be absolutely inspirational to the whole squad no matter who. This makes sense football wise & commercially. Bring it on I say.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Its a fair point, but waggy's hardly a just got allowed in the big boys dressing room is he.

No, but I imagine Rooney will be playing in an advanced midfield role rather than up front. So more likely to be competing with Dowell, Holmes, Knight, Sibley, etc. He may even drop deeper than that for all I know.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Its a fair point, but waggy's hardly a just got allowed in the big boys dressing room is he.

If he comes I don't think he'll play up top. Maybe in the 10 role like he did at everton but could be an option to move up if we need to change it or Waggs needs replacing.

1 minute ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Another chance for our fans to become star struck at an "England legend" who could never actually cut it at the big tournaments and never got England past a quarter final. Yet somehow part of a 'Golden Generation'.

120 caps for his country, Man Utd & England top goal scorer ever...………...Nah, your right...…….not worth bringing to Derby in case we get excited!

3 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Another chance for our fans to become star struck at an "England legend" who could never actually cut it at the big tournaments and never got England past a quarter final. Yet somehow part of a 'Golden Generation'.

He's England's all time top scorer.

Archived