Roos, Carson or a new senior keeper

superzak

Must admit last night have started to wear down my defence of Roos, particulary that third goal. Just no excuse for it. Distribution is supposed to be his strength, that’s why he got in the team in the first place over Carson who kept making mistakes very much like that one. It’s basics, it really is, and it’s just down to a lack of thought in what he’s doing. Once his strengths are no longer that good, then his weaknesses are amplified and you start to wonder whether he’s not good enough. I maintain that he’s not as awful a keeper as some make out, he’s pretty average for the division. The thing is, to get where we want to be getting (promotion) we need better than average. 

My previous opinion was Roos and Carson were of a similar ability, with different strengths, but think I’m now back leaning towards Carson being the better goalie overall. He’s still not absolutely brilliant anymore either, but based on what we’ve seen, I think he’s still a better and more reliable goalie than Roos atm. I’d probably recall him if we can.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roos has never been close too Carson's ability has a goalie the only thing he has on Scott is his distribution.Carson represent his country because at one point in time he was that good,Roos will never represent his.

If you want a keeper who can dominate their area you need to look at keepers bought up in an era when keepers were expected to be precisely that Goalkeepers not  ball playing keepers like now.

In that respect I have seen Joe Hart mentioned it is a good shout he is in the position Carson was when we picked him up and gave him a new lease of life.

On 06/07/2019 at 20:28, Carl Sagan said:

Roos was in the PSV academy with Cocu and had the shirt at the end of last season, plus we have continuity of goalkeeping coach. So Roos logically is in pole position. 

Carson was magnificent - utterly magnificent - for 2 seasons but then got injured, Roos did well and Carson struggled. Maybe he wasn't fit and was trying too hard. 

I'd make enquiries about Joe Hart but if not I think Roos starts with the shirt. Having good feet seems to be the thing now. 

Ironically it was his 'good feet' that caused the the third goal.

He hit that pass to Bielik so hard it almost broke his ankle.

I think his distribution is so-so quite honestly.

We need a new one.

I've been a Roos defender because his distribution tends to be more of a positive than a negative and you can't deny his shot stopping, despite his heart stopping work from crosses. However, I can't defend his flapping in the past 2 games in particular.

Carson isn't the answer. He has a glass back and he can't save anything on the floor near his legs (Stoke away is still on repeat every time I hear his name). He's clearly on a packet or he wouldn't have been shipped off quite so readily too. Add that to hand over the eyes every moment he has the ball at his feet...

On 05/08/2019 at 18:52, Nuwtfly said:

Happy to die on this hill but I would just stick with Roos. Showed enough last season to merit his place, bar that final game at Wembley. Best player against Rangers, too.

?

(Sorry Nuwtfly, your post was the first unread post that came up on this thread for me. I’m on the wind up.)

34 minutes ago, cosmic said:

?

(Sorry Nuwtfly, your post was the first unread post that came up on this thread for me. I’m on the wind up.)

To be fair, I stand by that. He showed enough last season to merit his place.

I have stood by him this season, and I actually don't think he was as at fault last night as some are saying.

However, we look like a team whose defence has absolutely 0 confidence in its goalkeeper, and that simply isn't acceptable. The defenders just don't look like they trust him to make the right decision, and that is breeding errors everywhere.

For the good of the team he needs dropping and probably replacing in the long-run. 

I wasn't happy when Roo's took Carson's place last year and he is just getting worse. I think a goalkeeper's distribution skills are too often overplayed. It's a nice 'value add' but the priority has to be the ability to dominate the box and communicate as this helps prevent efforts on goal, followed by shot stopping for when efforts do get through. I know Carson wasn't as dominant as we would have liked but he has always been better than Roo's.

It has to be time to give Hamer a chance. Let him play December and if he doesn't work out you know a replacement must be sought in January.

26 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

If he could come and collect the ball at height he would be a very good goalkeeper. 
It’s little things like that that Shay Given should be coaching him. 

Ffs he’s a goalkeeper he shouldn’t need coaching to catch a ball he’s simply not good enough.

As a pretty avid defender of Roos I am now shifting my feelings towards not good enough, I don't think Carson is the answer either but right now he would be the better option if he was still with us. Hamer needs to be given a chance now and we need to address the situation in January.

4 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Joe Hart on loan

I seem to remember that Pep wasn't keen on Hart, due to his lack of passing skill rather than his shot stopping ability. Not sure that Cocu would see it any differently.

Personally, I would like us to try and sign a keeper like Hart. 

Archived