Roos, Carson or a new senior keeper

superzak

I think we need a new keeper.  It would be my main concern, and the foundation of what we are building.

Carson would still be my no.1 as things stand.

Roos doesn't inspire confidence, I don't think he will finish the season as first choice. For all the times he gets in the way of the ball, I  just see it bouncing to the opposition, or worse.  If we were a QPR it wouldn't matter, but for the level we are at these errors can have a huge impact on the season.

I'd take either a shot stopper or a big tall presence (which he should be at his height) over someone who has reasonable distribution any day

Mitchell doesn't look like he'll advance past benchwarmer.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather have Roos than the Leeds keeper and that is the guy Bielsa wanted...  Any keeper who is great with his feet and a commanding presence in the air won't be in this league. Maybe actually having a defender who dominates in the air might help.

40 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Happy to die on this hill but I would just stick with Roos. Showed enough last season to merit his place, bar that final game at Wembley. Best player against Rangers, too.

I think some of his performances actually got us there in the first place. 

• 1 month later...

I've defended Roos because I think people have turned against him following the playoff gaff (as they did Keogh) but, whether his confidence has drained as a result, I certainly thought he was shaky tonight.

By accident or design, everything bounced off him. Well, when he made contact with the ball anyhow. There was more than once where he just flapped at the air.

Roos is decent enough. I never thought he would make a Championship grade keeper and he has. We wouldn't have made the play-offs without him last season, the performance away at Bristol was arguably the best we saw from anyone last season. 

I think we should let him have the season, see where we stand then. 

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He seems like he can do everything except catch properly. I'm not sure if it's a technical flaw or if his decision making is just a bit poor, but there are times he should be catching the ball and he punches it. It keeps the pressure on as the oppo can recycle the ball.

Given needs to be drilling him on it.

It's because he's frightened. 

He doesn't want that pretty face damaged and so he flaps his long arms out in front of him as a protective measure. 

He is also a poor judge of crosses. When Clarke saved us last night with that clearance over the bar, Roos was stranded in the middle of nowhere. 

I've played with too many 'flappy' keepers and as a defender you never know where you stand. 

One to address in January. In the meantime I guess we just have to support the guy. 

Should have been replaced in the summer but we persisted in faffing around with this as per our other dealings and managed just to scrape Hamer through the door at the 11th hour 

Do we have a goalkeeping coach serious question one which I admit I should know as the persistence on punching when it's easier to catch the ball is a behavioural thing.

What you have with Roos and most modern day keepers is they do not have the presence of the the keepers from years ago.to command their area.Back then keepers were taught to come and catch the ball and take out  what ever was in their way, modern day thinking is punching is better there by removing the possibility of dropping the ball.

Archived