Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sign of a good manager is one that can adapt to the situation he’s in. 

Would love some high energy in your face football again.

Feel for Cocu slightly, arrived late last summer so wasn’t able to really assess and fill the gaps. Then this summer thanks to the EFL’s incompetence we’ve been under a soft embargo which had limited what he can do with the new season round the corner.

He needs this season and next summer with hopefully no issues to really get this squad looking how he wants it. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, David said:

Sign of a good manager is one that can adapt to the situation he’s in. 

Would love some high energy in your face football again.

Feel for Cocu slightly, arrived late last summer so wasn’t able to really assess and fill the gaps. Then this summer thanks to the EFL’s incompetence we’ve been under a soft embargo which had limited what he can do with the new season round the corner.

He needs this season and next summer with hopefully no issues to really get this squad looking how he wants it. 

A soft embargo shouldn't affect addressing the fitness issue. Belsay is apparently a genius for having double fitness sessions. Even cloughie knew he had to get the heavy boots out for running once in a while.....

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Did anyone spot the Chris van der Weerden interview on RamsTV the other day?

It was really interesting to hear about the plans for this season.

It sounds like the coaching team have learned a lot about the Championship over the last year... and which bits of their dutch philosophy will and won't work at this level.

He highlighted the way in which Leeds, West Brom, Fulham and Brentford played with more energy and intensity than us. He spoke about our fitness levels and said they weren't good enough last season.

He spoke about how the coaching team were planning some tactical changes for the team this season too.

I love the way that they are open about adapting their style and changing based on what they have learned being in England.

I am so inspired and positive about this coaching team!  

Other than having Mel at the helm, Cocu  and his team leave me feeling confident for the future more so than any squad player or possible signings in the foreseeable future.. Stability with competent managers and staff with the genuine interest of improving the club is what we need and appear to have in place with Cocu and associates. A team is only as good as its manager, look what fergie achieved in his last season with a team of players that over achieved.

57 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A soft embargo shouldn't affect addressing the fitness issue. Belsay is apparently a genius for having double fitness sessions. Even cloughie knew he had to get the heavy boots out for running once in a while.....

It shouldn’t, but if I was to offer a poor argument to that, some players are naturally fitter than others, take Bryson for example, he could still complete a marathon after finishing a game. 
I don’t think we had many “athletes” last year, Rooney looked knackered after lockdown, Martin, well Martin, Lawrence in fairness has improved recently tracking back and covering more ground, but I still think we’ve been lacking some what.

To counter my poor argument, some managers have that aura about them though, that players respect before they walk through the door like Bielsa and will run through brick walls for him, despite being a bit of a legend of the game, as a manager Cocu is still climbing that ladder where players will instantly respect him.

29 minutes ago, David said:

It shouldn’t, but if I was to offer a poor argument to that, some players are naturally fitter than others, take Bryson for example, he could still complete a marathon after finishing a game. 
I don’t think we had many “athletes” last year, Rooney looked knackered after lockdown, Martin, well Martin, Lawrence in fairness has improved recently tracking back and covering more ground, but I still think we’ve been lacking some what.

To counter my poor argument, some managers have that aura about them though, that players respect before they walk through the door like Bielsa and will run through brick walls for him, despite being a bit of a legend of the game, as a manager Cocu is still climbing that ladder where players will instantly respect him.

Bit of a concern if we don't have pace, and don't have stamina either.

I dont expect much from Rooney though but I'd have thought that the kids would look up to Cocu and not need encouragement to run around.

Let us see what a full year of PC brings. 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I dont expect much from Rooney though but I'd have thought that the kids would look up to Cocu and not need encouragement to run around.

It is a concern, but through the cycle of manager changes you will end up with situations like this. First manager we’ve had with back to back summers for quite a while to put their stamp on the team. 

15 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

As a pro ,you would think no encouragement would be needed with players already having the desire to improve and play at the highest level.. Unfortunately think to many of them think their billy big baalocks already on a cracking wack and desire and ambition to further improve isn't their most important objective.

26 minutes ago, David said:

It is a concern, but through the cycle of manager changes you will end up with situations like this. First manager we’ve had with back to back summers for quite a while to put their stamp on the team. 

This. We'll be better at doing what he wants. 

If Rowett had stayed we'd have been better at being a Rowett team.

Some stability has its merits.

• 3 weeks later...

People forget the rough hand Cocu was dealt. Late arrival in the summer, limited funds, mini transfer embargo, drink driving incident, Covid, investigation by the EFL. Yet we still put in a late playoff push. 

Been watching Sunderland til I die recently, they were relegated with a weak side. They had little to no funds available when relegated, had to turn to the academy for players and sign loans/freebies, and ended up bottom and relegated.

Cocus situation wasn’t all that different, had a side with 30 odd goals taken out of it, our best defender taken away, very little time or funds to get what was needed and he did a cracking job with the academy products. We could be much much worse off after last season and I don’t think some fans will ever realise how grim last season could have been. 

2 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Derby fan on 5live phone in last night slating cocu stating he isn't charismatic enough to get the players motivated and when he's interviewed its like he doesn't want to be here! 

1 game in....... ?

I don’t agree with the criticism but, to be fair to those that formed that opinion, this wasn’t his first game and, his demeanour etc. hasn’t changed so, it’s a bit unfair to finish your post with “1 game in.......”.

11 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

People forget the rough hand Cocu was dealt. Late arrival in the summer, limited funds, mini transfer embargo, drink driving incident, Covid, investigation by the EFL. Yet we still put in a late playoff push. 

Been watching Sunderland til I die recently, they were relegated with a weak side. They had little to no funds available when relegated, had to turn to the academy for players and sign loans/freebies, and ended up bottom and relegated.

Cocus situation wasn’t all that different, had a side with 30 odd goals taken out of it, our best defender taken away, very little time or funds to get what was needed and he did a cracking job with the academy products. We could be much much worse off after last season and I don’t think some fans will ever realise how grim last season could have been. 

He has lost another 30 goals this season as well. Waghorn and Lawrence might only be injured, but Martin isnt coming back. Without those 3 the highest scorer last season was Jason Knight. Its not difficult to see why we cant score atm.

24 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Nobody has forgotten that because nobody is allowed to forget it, it's mentioned in every discussion about Cocu. It doesn't given him an indefinite get out of jail free card though, does it? At some point, it's time for him to stop falling back on those.

32 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nobody has forgotten that because nobody is allowed to forget it, it's mentioned in every discussion about Cocu. It doesn't given him an indefinite get out of jail free card though, does it? At some point, it's time for him to stop falling back on those.

It is totally I agree but there is always something new off the field that he has to deal with so it keeps being relevant to mention it. This summer it has been the soft embargo, Injuries to key forward players who were missing at end of season too, uncertainty re Martin (assume while they said door was still open that Had some wage bill allocated), dont know if he had any say in martin's offered deal/whether he would have liked to keep him, seems finances are very tight so we needed players sold before we could buy, he may not have wanted bogle/lowe to go, etc. All of which means he still hasnt had a hassle-free summer pre-season snd transfer window where he seems to be in charge of events Rather than having to react and make do. Therefore many of us do think it is hard to judge him and Do keep mentioning all other garbage.   He is quiet but that doesn't mean he cant motivate players for goodness sake in response to other posters, he has others around who are more exuberant. 

4 hours ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Derby fan on 5live phone in last night slating cocu stating he isn't charismatic enough to get the players motivated and when he's interviewed its like he doesn't want to be here! 

1 game in....... ?

I agree Cocu isnt animated but he sees everything that goes off in the game and is not frightened to mention it , if we are pooor he says so , who do people want in charge Basil bloody Fawlty

5 Live on Friday, Curtis Davies  was asked an open question about how he has found Cocu to work with in comparison to other managers he has worked with.  Curtis was a little critical of Cocu, implying that last season he was perhaps unrealistic about wanting to do things in a certain way, straight away, that are better suited to elite players rather than championship players and that Cocu learned from this but he imagines that he is still frustrated with some of the current squad.

Perhaps confirms some people's view of early last season.

Interestingly, he didn't balance this out with positives like you'd expect. He wasn't given a lot of time to be fair, but as a current (albeit close to retirement) player talking about his former world class footballer boss, I was quite surprised. Maybe reading too much into it.

Archived