Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

5 Live on Friday, Curtis Davies  was asked an open question about how he has found Cocu to work with in comparison to other managers he has worked with.  Curtis was a little critical of Cocu, implying that last season he was perhaps unrealistic about wanting to do things in a certain way, straight away, that are better suited to elite players rather than championship players and that Cocu learned from this but he imagines that he is still frustrated with some of the current squad.

Perhaps confirms some people's view of early last season.

Interestingly, he didn't balance this out with positives like you'd expect. He wasn't given a lot of time to be fair, but as a current (albeit close to retirement) player talking about his former world class footballer boss, I was quite surprised. Maybe reading too much into it.

Interesting but that's 5th or 6th choice centre back Davies?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

That's 5th or 6th choice centre back Davies?

Doesn't strike me as the bitter type, but its possible he's biased of course.  If you're implying he has nothing to lose then fair enough, but a little concerning I think because we are a championship club with dwindling resources. Is his philosophy really best for us and will he adapt enough?

FWIW, I'm still pro Cocu ( but open to doubts) which is perhaps why I'm more sensitive to him being criticised.

1 minute ago, Andrew3000 said:

Doesn't strike me as the bitter type, but its possible he's biased of course.  If you're implying he has nothing to lose then fair enough, but a little concerning I think because we are a championship club with dwindling resources. Is his philosophy really best for us and will he adapt enough?

FWIW, I'm still pro Cocu ( but open to doubts) which is perhaps why I'm more sensitive to him being criticised.

No, I agree; Davies does not seem the bitter type.

Also he's very intelligent and articulate. Will make a great pundit if he doesn't go into coaching after his playing career.

Just now, IslandExile said:

No, I agree; Davies does not seem the bitter type.

Also he's very intelligent and articulate. Will make a great pundit if he doesn't go into coaching after his playing career.

I notice a few times Island you moderate your opinions in light of a response or at least concede certain points. Very commendable and rare on here I would say. It's like we  are having an honest but open conversation! Heavens above!

22 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Interesting but that's 5th or 6th choice centre back Davies?

Charming. Curtis Davies has done enough in the world of football to be listened to with some respect, instead of some cheapskate barb.

Get a grip. He may be down the pecking order these days but he was a regular fixture at all the clubs he was signed to throughout his main career. He knows more about the game probably than anyone else on this forum, and I wonder if he would have got caught out as easily as the other players were against Reading for the goals.

It could be that Cocu just isn't right for this level, something which Davies seemed to hint at. Does he have the support and commitment of the players?. Probably to some degree, but probably not enough. From what I have seen since his arrival, it is not working yet for me.

I saw a podcast with Bradley Johnson which was quite interesting. He talked about Lampard and cocu. He discussed how he was binned by lamps after the red card at stoke, but that eventually he was re-integrated. he was asked about cocu. He said that he understood cocu was trying to instil a very technical game, but that basically this was misconceived because the championship is a relentless physical battle. Maybe this is what they were discussing at the Joiners bonding session. I don’t see why it’s one or the other. Teams need both technical still and brute force. Exhibit a. Bruce Rioch. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wouldn't be playing in the Championship.

But he was. From age 22-27 he was playing for villa in the second division (and third).

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

I notice a few times Island you moderate your opinions in light of a response or at least concede certain points. Very commendable and rare on here I would say. It's like we  are having an honest but open conversation! Heavens above!

I'd say, on here, somebody paying someone a compliment is even rarer.

Anyone, anywhere, paying me a compliment.... I'm not sure it's ever happened before.

So thank you.

So Davies was basically saying that Cocu isn't realistic about the quality of our players and this league. 

Been personally saying this a long time. He needs to get realistic asap and I worry he still doesn't understand this league. 

In this league you can have 60% of the possession and play very good football, yet still loose 3-2 or 2-0. 

It's not as if our players are poor. He's almost comparing them with some of the greatest players in former teams mates, of the last few decades. 

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Does anyone have the link to the Davies interview from Friday? Tried to find it on the BBC website but had no luck.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08qt66t

27 minutes in for the relevent bit, the discussion about foreign managers starts on 22 minutes.

Tbh I don't think it's anything to get fired up about, simply a statement of facts.

Keep seeing this thread near the top of the page, so decided to take a look. Can't believe some people are being critical. We are struggling for cash and desperate to use the Academy to generate funds and provide players for the first team. Despite selling two academy products for £10m+ pre-season, seven more were in the squad on Saturday, four starting. Cocu looks one of if not the best developer of young talent in world football.

After a season assessing the division and what's required, I'm confident that despite the very difficult hand he's been dealt, he'll deliver a strong campaign. In the same manner as, for instance, he did when taking over at PSV. We're lucky to have him and the rest of the management team.

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

After a season assessing the division and what's required, I'm confident that despite the very difficult hand he's been dealt, he'll deliver a strong campaign. In the same manner as, for instance, he did when taking over at PSV. We're lucky to have him and the rest of the management team.

Where is the confidence coming from, other than blind faith? Genuinely, how can you watch that game and the barrow game and have faith in it? 

12 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

5 Live on Friday, Curtis Davies  was asked an open question about how he has found Cocu to work with in comparison to other managers he has worked with.  Curtis was a little critical of Cocu, implying that last season he was perhaps unrealistic about wanting to do things in a certain way, straight away, that are better suited to elite players rather than championship players and that Cocu learned from this but he imagines that he is still frustrated with some of the current squad.

Perhaps confirms some people's view of early last season.

Interestingly, he didn't balance this out with positives like you'd expect. He wasn't given a lot of time to be fair, but as a current (albeit close to retirement) player talking about his former world class footballer boss, I was quite surprised. Maybe reading too much into it.

In terms of passing ability Curtis is really not Cocu’s style so I can understand his comment. 

I am not despondent about the football at the moment. It must be difficult to play with a limited outlet at the top. Marriott is not a centre forward, he has plenty of attributes but leading the line is not one of them, he needs a centre forward with him. 

All managers need time (and some sensibly used cash is useful) to develop a team. I suspect that Cocu is as frustrated as some of the fans on here. 

Its probably why we look so ponderous, they are struggling to implement what they're supposed to be doing, so it's a bit to slow, so they find the opposition shut it down so can only pass side and back.

Don't junk the whole endeavour, just accept the mistakes in n exchange for a bit of tempo.

We saw fleeting glimpses of it working last season in some games.

It's a hard watch at the moment.

Archived