Suggestions for the next Derby manager

26 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The only problem is that we don't have a style and are in need of a rebuild. We've got two centre halfs the wrong side of 30 and void of any Centre midfielders barring Graham Shinnie and an aging Tom Huddlestone and Bradley Johnson. Brighton tried to play expansive with Oscar Garcia and Sami Hypia, that failed and Hughton got them up played some nice football. 

Really don't want us to go down the route of a manager learning on the job, relying on loan players to bail us out. Loans should be only used to complement the core of the squad, Mac 1 did it perfectly. 

I agree with you on some points but disagree on others.

We do need a rebuild, granted - but this is why a previous post I put together (about looking at the overall structure of the club) is needed. We need to identify who we want to be and what style we want to use first.

As it happens, I do think we have a style. We have a way that we clearly want to play and I would hope that we could maintain some continuity of this. If we haven't learned anything from the constant chopping and changing of styles, then we don't deserve promotion. Simple as.

I don't think that the comparison with Brighton is fair. First, Oscar Garcia actually did a good job at Brighton - realistically, they were only undone by our insane performance in the play offs. But, we're not Brighton so it's lazy. For every example of Hughton being able to come in a push a team over the edge, there is a Nigel Pearson who we thought would do that here. Just because Hughton did it at Brighton doesn't make him a shoe in to do it here. I just don't want to go down the route of just abandoning everything every single time it doesn't work out.

I've never advocated a 'learn on the job' route and I'm not sure where I've even implied it. More that I'd sooner we identified a style (and I think we have) and find a manager who fits that. As opposed to the other way around which, for years now, has failed.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

Like him or loathe him, he will be less of a risk than anyone else. And Lampard will want to leave the club in what he considers to be safe hands.

Im not opposed to giving Terry a chance, but there is no way in hell fhat a completely untested manager whose playstyle is currently a mystery to everyone would be less of a risk than anyone else. Not really sure why Lampard would care who our manager is if he leaves either, but i trust Mel to choose wisely.

1 hour ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

Terry just announced he's signed a new contract at Villa.

Lampard to announce he's signed a new contract next. But for who. Please be for us!

You’ll have to clarify which “us” you’re talking about there, chap.

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Mourinho let’s ducking go lads 

100-1 aint bad odds. Ask McClaren to talk to his mate and big us up. We'll just do a leeds and spend all our transfer money on a new manager instead.

Gary Rowett 12-1 No no no. I really couldn't bear it. And whatsmore paddy power says Derby were steadily improving when he was manager. Was I dreaming when I thought we were in free fall after Christmas when he was in charge? I want to watch exciting, successful football and any manager who can deliver that will be welcome.

Archived