Starting 11 next season

MallyRam95

20 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Lampard and Jody have said the same thing every time they've been asked about Marriott not playing, that he doesn't really work hard enough out of possession. It makes sense when you think about all the tactical decisions they've made .... they demand that the forward works hard off the ball and presses the defence. Nugent hasn't scored for ages but he works harder off the ball than Marriott so was preferred, same for Waghorn and even at Wembley, with Waghorn returning from injury they chose to go with a fully fit Bennett over (I presume) a fully fit Marriott because he would work harder to press their defence. Hopefully a full preseason will be enough for them to get Marriott doing the job they want him to do and he'll be trusted as our main striker next season

If it means Marriott either working hard or sticking the ball in the net...I go for the latter everytime.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, DJFern94 said:

I've got a weird feeling that Jozefzoon will come good next season. We have had quite a few players (mainly Vydra) who have taken a season to settle. Zoon seemed up for it yesterday and did not look out of place. 

sorry but waiting for players to come good is a risky policy, if they don't then we lose value.  We need to be tougher, if they aren't adding tot he team they need to go quickly and there is then some chance that they find a better fit elsewhere without losing too much money.  I'd rather move him on rather than wait to see if a miracle (sorry I don't rate him) happens

NEW/Ravas

Bogle/Wisdom          Keogh/Evans          Davies/NEW          Lowe/Malone

Huddlestone/Shinnie

Holmes/Bird*                            Johnson/Sibley*

Lawrence/McAllister/Thomas*

Waghorn/Martin           Marriott/Bennett

Width provided from the fullbacks as we don't have one single winger who's out and out. They all want to cut inside so lets do away with it and replace with an extra striker and a number 10. 

I've gone with a team here that we've currently got/have the option of trying to keep (Johnson). 

NEW represents areas that we are short in, including academy prospects. 

* represents an area that I think we could strengthen in. 

Summary: 

Play with the diamond which guarantees us 2 strikers on the field. 

Sign a GK, CB and tidy CM as a matter of urgency. 

If we sell a first teamer - replace. 

Good preseason behind us and we go again. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ravas

Bogle Huddlestone MacDonald Lowe

Knight Bird Sibley

Thomas Bennett McAllister

With Huddlestone in there, the average age is still in the mid-late twenties.

(says me at my age ?. I'm old enough to have seen him play at centre half; he cannot head it but would make a great Beckenbauer).

Who knows who’s on the wish list to come in.

If possible would sell Anya, wisdom, Martin, Davies, Lawrence and Hudds to raise some funds.

extend Roos and Johnson’s contract on lesser terms.

release everyone else who’s out of contract.

sign a GK, 2xCB, 2xCM for starters. 

Walton/Roos

Bogle/New       Keogh/Evans      Tomori/Davies      Malone/Forsyth

Shinnie/Bird

Aribo/Sibley                            Holmes/Johnson

Lawrence/Jozefzoon

Marriott/New      Waghorn/Bennett

This would assume that Carson, Wisdom, Ambrose, Cole, Olsson, Lowe (on loan again), Thorne, Huddlestone, Butterfield, Bryson, Anya, Nugent, Blackman, and Martin all leave (can you imagine how much we would save on wages for players who mostly aren't even near our starting 11?!).

In terms of new signings, I would love to see us sign a new keeper, offer Roos a new contract, bring Tomori back on loan, offer Johnson a new contract on reduced terms, sign Joe Aribo on a free, then dig out a couple of loans for competition at RB, CM and up front. 

Assuming absolutely worst case, no signings and all contracts expire. 

Something like this

ee4666874de0213a6fc78f99d1649247.png

Not a bad starting line up, but once you get to back up it really starts to paint a grim picture.

We are weakest in:

Centre back: Keogh and Davies are your only experienced centre backs, and one of them is recovering from a serious knee injury

Centre Mid: New boy Shinnie, assuming hes any good? Bird's time to step up? Huddlestone on the way out

Wings: Lawrence/Holmes/Bennett/Waghorn all decent options, but feel they all perform better in the centre? 

We do have strengths though:

Full/Wing Back: Malone/Bogle have proved themselves excellent this season, Lowe had a good year in Scotland

Striker: Marriott and Waghorn can both score 20+ a season if played regularly

If we had an endless money pit, you'd say just strengthen all our weak areas. But we dont, we need to be smart and think about where we are strong and how we play to those strengths whilst mitigating the weaknesses. Why play with a lone striker and two wingers when we have good strikers and relatively poor wingers? 

Looking at lack of depth, may be important that we do keep some players who's contracts expirae (Johnson, Bryson, Roos) if wages can be negotiated.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ravas

Bogle Huddlestone MacDonald Lowe

Knight Bird Sibley

Thomas Bennett McAllister

Are you hoping we go down to League 1 and then come back up stronger?

29 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Assuming absolutely worst case, no signings and all contracts expire. 

Something like this

ee4666874de0213a6fc78f99d1649247.png

Not a bad starting line up, but once you get to back up it really starts to paint a grim picture.

We are weakest in:

Centre back: Keogh and Davies are your only experienced centre backs, and one of them is recovering from a serious knee injury

Centre Mid: New boy Shinnie, assuming hes any good? Bird's time to step up? Huddlestone on the way out

Wings: Lawrence/Holmes/Bennett/Waghorn all decent options, but feel they all perform better in the centre? 

We do have strengths though:

Full/Wing Back: Malone/Bogle have proved themselves excellent this season, Lowe had a good year in Scotland

Striker: Marriott and Waghorn can both score 20+ a season if played regularly

If we had an endless money pit, you'd say just strengthen all our weak areas. But we dont, we need to be smart and think about where we are strong and how we play to those strengths whilst mitigating the weaknesses. Why play with a lone striker and two wingers when we have good strikers and relatively poor wingers? 

Looking at lack of depth, may be important that we do keep some players who's contracts expirae (Johnson, Bryson, Roos) if wages can be negotiated.

Only 2 recognised CBs so you suggest we use a formation which requires 3 of them? Better off putting an extra man in midfield and go 4312 which would give Holmes a starting spot. You also missed out Forsyth who can cover CB

I've seen a few mentions of Forsyth. I really hope he makes it, but do we really think it's likely? One ACL injury is recoverable with modern surgical techniques, but two in the same leg and one in the other feels like a bridge too far. Quite apart from the physical aspects, the mental effort required will be huge.

Roos

Bogle        Keogh        Tomori        Malone

Shinnie

Holmes.                         New mid

Lawrence

Marriott            Waghorn

To me that doesn't look too bad at all. Maybe need a new GK. Obviously I'm being hopeful that we can get tomori back but not sure. We would need a new defender and also midfielder in replacement of mount. Holmes will step up to be that out wide midfielder/winger that Wilson was. What does everyone think?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Only 2 recognised CBs so you suggest we use a formation which requires 3 of them? Better off putting an extra man in midfield and go 4312 which would give Holmes a starting spot. You also missed out Forsyth who can cover CB

Our centre mids really ain't too hot either, went we three to make best use of wing backs - arguably our strongest position. 

It was painful to leave out Duane though

On 28/05/2019 at 11:27, MallyRam95 said:

33 I believe now mate, isn't that just a touch off the pace of things now? Look at Huddlestone yesterday, I think same would apply, but I'd start him if hes fit enough as hes better than what we have!

In fairness, Huddlestone wasn’t quick when he was 16

I think the team needs a big overhaul so I took a look at the out of contract players (we have to be careful of FFP right), I came up with this team that I think will sweep all before them.

GK - Frank Fielding, quality, solid championship keeper.

Full Backs - Paul Coutts, Alefe Santos. Classic blend of experience and youth - Coutts knows what it takes to win promotion and the young Brazillian could bring a bit of that samba beat to PPS, flair!

CBs - Tyrone Mears and Josh Lelan. Again you cannot beat pairing youth and experience. Two PROVEN internationals at the heart of your defence, what's not to like?

Centre Mid - Ben Pringle, Dave Jones. Is there a more mercurial, dynamic duo out there? Jones to pick the holes, Pringle to be the heartbeat of the team.

Wings - Jamie Ward, Simon Dawkins. Wow, again, proven international experience on show, full backs of the EFL, watch out!

Up Front - Nathan Tyson, Jon Stead. Experience, experience, experience, not to mention pace, goals, goals and more goals.

Great backup in Gareth Ainsworth, Lee Holmes, James Vaughan and Michael Tonge, would be a seriously exciting season if we could make this happen.

@Shuff264 i dont think we will be using Thorne again as much as i would like to. The reason we didnt play him last year was related to payments we have to make to West Brom if he plays again isnt it? Same with Anya and Watford. I assume this will still apply next season as well.

As we stand but much can change 

GK - roos carson

RB - Bogle Wisdom Anya 

CB - Keogh Davies 

LB - Malone Lowe Forsyth

DM - Huddlestone  Johnson  Shinnie Evans Thorne 

CM -Butterfield  Bird 

LWRW - Lawrence holmes Bennett jafoozon Thomas McAllister

CF - Waghorn Marriott Martin Blackman 

thats 27 experienced professionals still, even if central defence has no real cover and central midfield is very weak - probably at least 7 of those will never play probably- some work to be done 

Archived