Starting 11 next season

MallyRam95

Just now, SaintRam said:

In all my time watching football, when you find out that a player's fallen out with a manager, you can see it in the player's demeanour. I can't recall a situation where that's occurred at any level and the player's performances haven't dropped or there's been moments where they've argued with the manager/teammates or been the picture of grumpiness on the sidelines.

I really do think that Marriott's issue has been one of fitness. In all the time he's not been starting he hasn't been sulky or scowling on the bench, when he plays he looks like he's enjoying himself and he puts in 100% effort. I know that's what they're "supposed" to do, and maybe he is just the perfect professional, but history suggests players don't usually react that way to being left out over non-footballing reasons (which is the implication of this "falling out" rumour).

Lampard and Jody have said the same thing every time they've been asked about Marriott not playing, that he doesn't really work hard enough out of possession. It makes sense when you think about all the tactical decisions they've made .... they demand that the forward works hard off the ball and presses the defence. Nugent hasn't scored for ages but he works harder off the ball than Marriott so was preferred, same for Waghorn and even at Wembley, with Waghorn returning from injury they chose to go with a fully fit Bennett over (I presume) a fully fit Marriott because he would work harder to press their defence. Hopefully a full preseason will be enough for them to get Marriott doing the job they want him to do and he'll be trusted as our main striker next season

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK- Carson (unless sold, if so replace)

RB-Bogle, LB - Malone 

CBs- Keogh, Davies

CM - Shinnie, Holmes, New 

Forwards - Mariott, Waghorn, Lawrence. 

Subs - Forsyth, Evans, Bennett, Josefzoon, Thomas, 

Sell - Huddlestone, Wisdom, Thorne, Martin, Anya, Lowe. 

Hudds and Lowe are saleable but the others have little chance of being sold as they will be lucky to get half their current wage elsewhere. 

I would say we need a centre half, at least one centre-mid, and a wide man. This is exactly what we had on loan this season. 

Don’t buy anyone unless they’re a lower league bargain like Holmes. Youth to fill in the gaps. 

5 minutes ago, Kuskus said:

Gk- Carson/new

defenders- Malone/Keogh/Davies/Forsyth/Bogle/Wisdom/new/new

Midfielders-Evans/huddlestone/Shinnie/Holmes/new/new

Attackers-Waghorn/Marriott/Jozefzoon/Lawrence/Bennett/New

Can't see Wisdom staying and Evans will be fighting for a central defender position rather than midfield where he has been very average.....also wouldn't surprise me to see Joze sold.....

Think we’ll see a lot more youngsters on the bench next season, the 2 wingers Thomas and mcallister have done alright on loan this season, bird is rated by frank and Macdonald and knight were on the bench at Wembley , added to the return of fozzy and Davies  and hopefully a couple of loans and we’ll be about the same with some deadwood gone

a more younger hungrier squad

4 hours ago, cannable said:

From what I gather, Shinnie an energetic battler rather than a holding midfielder. More Kante than Busquests. So I’d still have a sitter next to him.

Probs been brought in to replace Johnson’s high wages and have huddlestone/Evans sat next to him next season..

Next season...

NEW GK

BOGLE      KEOGH        NEW CB    LOWE

SHINNIE

THOMAS           SIBLEY/ BIRD          HOLMES

Marriott           WAGHORN 

Promote the youngsters and buy/loan a couple of quality additions. CB and Gk as priority. 

Maybe a tough dm to partner Shinnie in away games.

Bennett can cover and start in place of either striker as we require, all three are needed. 

Bird and Sibley to be given chance and Lowe as well.

Sell:

Martin

Thorne - this is sad

Huddlestone 

Lawrence? Mixed thoughts as the season went on. 

0Trying to be realistic here about who stays and who goes, I'd like to see this (backup/alternatives in brackets)

New GK (Ravas)

Bogle (New)        Keogh (Davies)       New/Tomori (Davies)        Forsyth (Lowe)

Shinnie (Johnson)

Holmes (Bird)                 New (Sibley)

Lawrence (New)

Marriott (Whittaker)    Waghorn (Bennett)

19 hours ago, cannable said:

From what I gather, Shinnie an energetic battler rather than a holding midfielder. More Kante than Busquests. So I’d still have a sitter next to him.

Players like Busquets are becoming redundant in the modern game so I think Shinnie would be fine on his own, providing the two in front of him are intense and have bags of energy as well. I use reddit(soccer) and many Barcelona fans call Busquets useless now and that the modern game is too quick for him. I don’t watch Barcelona enough so I’d take their word for it but what I can see if a shift into a modern game the last few years where everything is about intensity rather than slow build up play where players like Busquets thrived. I think that’s why English clubs have done well in Europe this season because the intense style suits them.

22 hours ago, Srg said:

New, Bogle (maybe new if sold), Keogh, New, New, Shinnie, Holmes, New, Lawrence, New, Waghorn/Marriott.

Where on earth are we going to find up to 6 people with the surname 'new'?

Just imagine the commentary!!!!

22 hours ago, MallyRam95 said:

Right people, now our season is over, who feels this starting 11 is possibly the way forward? 

Roos

Bogle      Keogh          New CB      Malone

Shinnie 

Holmes           Lawrence           New LW 

Waghorn           Marriott

We need a new goalkeeper. Roos is just not good enough.  Whenever the ball goes anywhere near him it frightens me 

Keepers - New GK, Roos, Ravas (although im not sure Roos will stay if he isn't guaranteed to be a starter). 

Fullbacks - Bogle, Wisdom, Malone, Forsyth, Lowe - I'm not sure much change is required, he hasn't had the best season at all but you can't really hope for a better back up RB than Wisdom, although im sure he will want to leave and Frank clearly doesn't rate him at all. 

Centre backs - New CB, New CB, Davies, Keogh, Buchanan? - Not seen much of the young lad play, but he was on the bench at least once this year. Ideally would bring in a younger CB (can't possibly think of someone who fits the description)

Central Midfielders - New CM, New CM, Shinnie, Evans, Bird, Sibley - would be tempted to potentially keep Johnson on for another year, but for the wages we must be paying him at the moment i'm sure we could get a player of similar standard with some change to spare. 

Wingers - Lawrence, New Winger, Holmes, Thomas, Zoon - we're not going to be able to get rid of Zoon, and i'm not sure he's as bad as most think. 

Strikers - Waghorn, Marriott, Bennett, Knight - think Marriott may go if Frank stays, and don't blame him if he wants to. 

New GK 

New RB   Keogh Tomori /New  Forsyth 

Shinnie 

New /Sibley   Holmes/New

Bogle /Thomas  Marriott /Waghorn Lawrence/ Jozefoon

It would be nice to have a reliable keeper , so a new keeper should be a priority , I would keep Roos as back up and get rid of Carson becuase of age and wages.  I would be open to selling Bogle if we can get £14million or more with a good sell on fee of around 15% maybe. If he stays  I would be interested to see how he plays as a winger because he is much better offensively than defensively, I would rather have a rock solid right back who can win headers and then let Bogle do his thing going forward. He has got the skills to be a winger and I reckon he would be a menace to opposition defences if he played there. I would say singing another midfielder is important as that is where we have been lacking at times this season and we will need someone to replace Mount.

My Prediction

First XI

New; Bogle, Keogh, New, Malone; New, Shinnie, Holmes; Waghorn, Marriott, Lawrence

From the existing squad

GKs - Mitchell, Ravas

RBs - Bogle, (Holmes as emergency cover)

CBs - Keogh, Davies (Evans and Forsyth as emergency cover)

LBs - Malone, Lowe, Forsyth

CMs - Shinnie, Holmes, Johnson, Evans, Bird, Sibley, Knight

FWs - Lawrence, Bennett, Waghorn, Marriott, Thomas

Signings

GK, CB (who can cover RB), CM, Winger

Outs

Out of contract players, Thorne, Martin, Jozefzoon, with lots of youth out on loan. Anya to sit at home for another year

I saw that a few forest fans want Marriott after he was initially down to go there! I hope he stays with us as he is a complete predator in front of goal and if he ever plays against us he would definitely be having hat tricks ?don’t know about anyone else but I’m bored already with no football ️ 

55 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

New GK 

New RB   Keogh Tomori /New  Forsyth 

Shinnie 

New /Sibley   Holmes/New

Bogle /Thomas  Marriott /Waghorn Lawrence/ Jozefoon

It would be nice to have a reliable keeper , so a new keeper should be a priority , I would keep Roos as back up and get rid of Carson becuase of age and wages.  I would be open to selling Bogle if we can get £14million or more with a good sell on fee of around 15% maybe. If he stays  I would be interested to see how he plays as a winger because he is much better offensively than defensively, I would rather have a rock solid right back who can win headers and then let Bogle do his thing going forward. He has got the skills to be a winger and I reckon he would be a menace to opposition defences if he played there. I would say singing another midfielder is important as that is where we have been lacking at times this season and we will need someone to replace Mount.

Completely agree, we have looked much better going forward which is our strength however we need to be more solid at the back, dealing with the basic things like crosses etc. Hopefully tomori stays for another season, could try Bogle as a winger and he can track back if needs be, sign a solid full back and a new creative midfielder to replace mount. Holmes will replace Wilson as that good player on the ball out wide. Shinnie will be the player that just takes the game by the scruff of the neck and I think that's all we need really. A good reliable goalkeeper would be good too. Any other players could be brought in from our top of the range academy.

Roos (or new GK)

Bogle.       Keogh.      Tomori.       Malone                                   (or new CB)

Shinnie

Holmes.                           (New mid)

Lawrence

Marriott             Waghorn

Archived