Starting 11 next season

MallyRam95

40 minutes ago, Kernow said:

As good as the loanees have been, this time last year, none of us knew an awful lot about them. Wilson had a short but good spell with Hull, Tomori came with mixed reviews, Mount was exciting but had only played in Holland.

As long as we can keep Lampard, we’ll attract players of that calibre. Even with Chelsea’s transfer ban, other sides will look at how we’ve treated the three loan players and how much we’ve brought them on. How much value have we added to the players collectively for their parent clubs? 

We have excellent facilities and currently a coaching team who can get the best out of young players. I think top clubs will be queuing up to send their prospects here to develop, and I think the strength of next season’s side will rely heavily on the importance of any loans again, given our situation.

Terrific post , agree totally 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carnero said:

New GK

Bogle    Keogh    Tomori    Malone

Holmes  Vaulks  Shinnie   Lawrence

Waggy   Marriott

We will not get Tomori back, he will either stay at Chelsea or go to a mid table premier league club. Lawrwnce should only play on the wing if we have a MAJOR injury crisis, he is not a winger. Same applies to holmes, but take away the major part. 

I've got a weird feeling that Jozefzoon will come good next season. We have had quite a few players (mainly Vydra) who have taken a season to settle. Zoon seemed up for it yesterday and did not look out of place. 

1 hour ago, MallyRam95 said:

Right people, now our season is over, who feels this starting 11 is possibly the way forward? 

Roos

Bogle      Keogh          New CB      Malone

Shinnie 

Holmes           Lawrence           New LW 

Waghorn           Marriott

I actually thought the diamond they played yesterday is a possible solution to getting 2 up front - Mount and Johnson both did a great job of piling around the midfield causing trouble, supported the full backs coming forward and gave Wilson loads of space - The only problem (I think) is that the CM area is where we're going to be the most light next season - And I think 

Carson

Bogle Keogh Evans Malone

Shinnie

Holmes                   ???

Lawrence

Waggers       Marriott

8 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

I've got a weird feeling that Jozefzoon will come good next season. We have had quite a few players (mainly Vydra) who have taken a season to settle. Zoon seemed up for it yesterday and did not look out of place. 

Yeah there was a real sea change when he came on, winning the ball and running down the wing crossing in. I thought he was great.

We've got plenty of options in the academy that could thrive with a full pre-season. We also have Thomas & Lowe coming back off good loan spells. We could do with a GK & a CB as the priority. We need a goalkeeper who is strong at distributing the ball, also.. Tomori. I would seriously look at forking up the money for him, because the transfer fee will be spread over the course of his contract with regards to FFP and the promise he has means he's a fairly safe investment, although nothing's guaranteed. The sale of the ground has given us a huge boost in terms of what we can look to do this summer. We're in a decent place, obviously the loan players going back causes a few worries, but we're going to be strong in the loan market again next season. 

It's difficult to predict the team next season, we're probably going to sign 6-8 players again this summer. Shinnie, all being well, should slot straight in at CDM. The number of players coming over from the SPL and doing well in the Championship is cause for optimism. If Lampard sticks around next season, he'll have a very good chance to win promotion. We'll certainly be better placed than we was this season. We just need to recruit well. 

33 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

He still has a hell of a lot to prove as he never got going in the regular season, but I was pleasantly surprised with his impact at Wembley. I have to admit, I was less than impressed when I saw he was being introduced, but he used his pace to great effect, was really positive in possession and put some dangerous balls into the box.

it depends what we will consider a success come May 2020.

more of the same probably gets us where we are now (at best) - some major surgery may do the trick - or not

if so (major surgery)

new GK

Bogle new CB (Tomori extended loan?) new CB Malone (reluctantly)

Holmes Shinnie new LM

Waghorn Marriott new LW

Subs Bird, Evans, Huddlestone, Carson (or another GK) some more 23s

or we can settle for more of the same and go with

Roos / Carson

Bogle Keogh Davies Malone

Shinnie 

Holmes Lawrence Bennett

Waghorn Marriott

subs Evans Huddlestone Bird Roos/Carson (whoever does'nt start) and some more 23s

If we still have Lampard then we still have the best and most attractive place to send the best young talent from top teams. Before this season we didn’t know about Tomori and we had seen a bit of wilson and Mount was just a highly rated prospect so it will be interesting to see who we sign and how they fair 

I think we’ll need a new goalie and may yet lose bogle. Not sure shinnie will be a guaranteed starter either, other than that I’d pretty much go with you. I’d say something like:

New GK

Bogle/new RB    New CB/Tomori    Keogh/Davies   Malone

Cdm

Holmes New CM

Lawrence 

Marriott Waghorn

Put cdm because I’m not sure who’s be starting, but we have enough on the books to not need more there.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yeah that's an option, but does mean Lawrence would probably be out of the team.

Lawrence has started the last two games up top with Bennett.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

All I'm bothered about is that Holmes and Marriott are key players in our team. Neither managed to make 20 starts this season through fitness/selection reasons, but both still had a huge impact despite the lesser playing time.

Let's look at the direct impact of those players in the league...

Marriott - 139.9 mins per goal/assist

Lawrence - 355.6 mins per goal/assist

Holmes - 535 mins per goal/assist

Everyone's teams are so lacking height and we will be susceptible to this again. Shinnie isn't the tallest but I don't know what his aerial presence is like.

Holmes, Bogle, Marriott, Lawrence, Malone (Despite his height) are all very poor defensively in the air.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let's look at the direct impact of those players in the league...

Marriott - 139.9 mins per goal/assist

Lawrence - 355.6 mins per goal/assist

Holmes - 535 mins per goal/assist

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here? Are you suggesting Marriott and Holmes haven't had a big impact when they've played this season, or am I just missing the point you're trying to make? 

In last summer's version of this thread I put Bogle, Elsnik and (I think) Lowe in mine. While I try and take some credit for being right about Bogle, I was clearly very wrong about Elsnik, and wrong about Lowe (although Malone hadn't been signed at the time, Forsyth was still our #1 guy last season).

I think, if I were to throw 3 youth names into the mix that I think have the best chance of being in the starting XI come next season, I'd go with Lowe again, Bird and Thomas. 

MacDonald is right up there, and I'd bet on him seeing first team football if Lowe moves on. He could even leapfrog Lowe tbh, he's been on the bench a lot. Then there's Sibly, who I'm only being wary of purely because his youth performances have reminded me so much of Elsnik's dominant games ? But he's got every chance too.

Basically, I see the potential for maybe 6 or 7 youth players stepping up - which is really amazing and a fairly new circumstance to be in.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here? Are you suggesting Marriott and Holmes haven't had a big impact when they've played this season, or am I just missing the point you're trying to make? 

I may have missed your point. I thought you were saying both Marriott and Holmes have had a greater impact than Lawrence despite them playing less. I agree on Marriott but not Holmes

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

I may have missed your point. I thought you were saying both Marriott and Holmes have had a greater impact than Lawrence despite them playing less. I agree on Marriott but not Holmes

Nah Lawrence wasn't really part of my thinking in relation to Marriott and Holmes. I worded it a bit badly, apologies. I was just saying I hope those 2 are key players next season because when they've played they have both had a big impact on the team (more so how we play rather than goals + assists)

In all my time watching football, when you find out that a player's fallen out with a manager, you can see it in the player's demeanour. I can't recall a situation where that's occurred at any level and the player's performances haven't dropped significantly or there's been moments where they've argued with the manager/teammates or been the picture of grumpiness on the sidelines.

I really do think that Marriott's issue has been one of fitness. In all the time he's not been starting he hasn't been sulky or scowling on the bench, when he plays he looks like he's enjoying himself and he puts in 100% effort. I know that's what they're "supposed" to do, and maybe he is just the perfect professional, but history suggests players don't usually react that way to being left out over non-footballing reasons (which is the implication of this "falling out" rumour).

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

In all my time watching football, when you find out that a player's fallen out with a manager, you can see it in the player's demeanour. I can't recall a situation where that's occurred at any level and the player's performances haven't dropped significantly or there's been moments where they've argued with the manager/teammates or been the picture of grumpiness on the sidelines.

I really do think that Marriott's issue has been one of fitness. In all the time he's not been starting he hasn't been sulky or scowling on the bench, when he plays he looks like he's enjoying himself and he puts in 100% effort. I know that's what they're "supposed" to do, and maybe he is just the perfect professional, but history suggests players don't usually react that way to being left out over non-footballing reasons (which is the implication of this "falling out" rumour).

Hope you are right but he hasn’t exactly looked unfit when he has come on has he. He’s a natural goal scorer. Play him in a 2 with Waghorn and we will score plenty next season, especially with a couple of proper wingers getting to the byline.

Archived