Retained List

11 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Anyway, back on the topic of the retained list. Considering we've released 4 defenders today with 2 of them being centre halves, this leaves us seriously short in that department. Is it too optimistic to hope we've lined Tomori up for a return? At the very least we must have something in the pipeline unless we're trying a new 2-4-4 formation. 

We've not released any that played a part last season.

We've lost Tomori but have Curtis Davies coming back. We still have Wisdom and Forsyth who are capable of playing full back or centre half to return. 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if aimed at me, but if so, being an accountant I'd say I'm as qualified as most to comment on financial issues.

On the basis of you only wanting experts commenting in their chosen fields, I'm guessing you're a highly decorated football manager. Are you Sir Alex or Arsene? Sigh 

We've already had this discussion and the conclusion was you are not an expert on football finances, you even agreed you weren't.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We've not released any that played a part last season.

We've lost Tomori but have Curtis Davies coming back. We still have Wisdom and Forsyth who are capable of playing full back or centre half to return. 

Fair points but we have released Ashley Cole who played a part for us. A fully fit Fozzy returning will be a bonus but I worry if he can come back again from another serious injury. Really hope he can because as you say he is also versatile. 

20 minutes ago, KCG said:

We've already had this discussion and the conclusion was you are not an expert on football finances, you even agreed you weren't.

I can read a set of accounts. I cant really comment on FFP because there is not enough information in the accounts to calculate where we are in terms of FFP.

You don't need to be an expert to realise that the need to sell your ground or give new contracts to players that are surplus to requirements, paints your finances in a bad light.

15 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Fair points but we have released Ashley Cole who played a part for us. A fully fit Fozzy returning will be a bonus but I worry if he can come back again from another serious injury. Really hope he can because as you say he is also versatile. 

Olsson gone too. 

Guessing we are expecting Forsyth to recover fully and maybe MacDonald? Will be making the step up to the first team squad full time.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Olsson gone too. 

Guessing we are expecting Forsyth to recover fully and maybe MacDonald? Will be making the step up to the first team squad full time.

Lowe ? 

Not advocating him .. just hoping tbh 

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

Lowe ? 

Lowe has looked very good for Aberdeen this season, by all accounts.

Has always looked a talented player - maybe he just needed that season of football to get him going?

Can remember Chris Powell talking him up when he was here with Pearson. Would love to see us start next season with two academy players at full-back! Proper Norwich vibes!

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Lowe ? 

Of course.

Out of sight out of mind! 

Interesting to see if he is part of our plans. FL packed him off pretty quickly after his shocker against Leeds away!

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course.

Out of sight out of mind! 

Interesting to see if he is part of our plans. FL packed him off pretty quickly after his shocker against Leeds away!

When he got sent back up to Scotland, Frank said that he's definitely in the long-term plans and is "very much our player", but that it was agreed that it would suit him better to get a full season of first team football at Aberdeen that season, before playing a bigger role at Derby next season. I think the plan was always to only bring him back in as a temporary fix until we could get Cole signed on, and if we didn't have the crisis at left-back he probably wouldn't have come back until the end of the season. 

54 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Olsson gone too. 

48 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Lowe has looked very good for Aberdeen this season, by all accounts.

Has always looked a talented player - maybe he just needed that season of football to get him going?

Can remember Chris Powell talking him up when he was here with Pearson. Would love to see us start next season with two academy players at full-back! Proper Norwich vibes!

well i am sure we would all be pleased if Frank announced we had taken on loan  a young english guy currently in Toulouse playing for the England under 20s.Silly me thats Max Lowe.Also there is Scott Malone so according to my reckoning that would give us  4 players to cover the left back slot

2 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

well i am sure we would all be pleased if Frank announced we had taken on loan  a young english guy currently in Toulouse playing for the England under 20s.Silly me thats Max Lowe.Also there is Scott Malone so according to my reckoning that would give us  4 players to cover the left back slot

Who would you have as our starting left back? 

Out of all of them I still think Forsyth is the most rounded. 

Think both Malone and Lowe are very suspect defensively but both good going forward.

An I the only one genuinely excited about the prospect of Nick Blackman lining up for us again. This news alone takes away the Wembley blues for me...

Doesn’t this just confirm what a sad and sorry financial state football has got itself into. I wish we could just go back to the days when the size of club dictated who you could afford to buy and the quality of the manager made the ultimate difference. 

Still, if it annoys the Boro chairman then we might get some value out of it.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

When playing staff decisions are being made based on financial issues rather than footballing issues you really have to question how the club is being run.

Obviously there will be some who think this is another MM masterstroke but in my eyes this is completely ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Exactly

INT - DCFC BOARD ROOM OCTOBER  21st 2019 - DAY 

Frank Lampard & Mel Morris are having a meeting to discuss players for the following season.

Frank - I’m serious Mel. Butterfield & Blackman are crap, I mean really crap. I’d rather play Shay outfield than either of them.  Can’t we give em a pay off in January? Cus nobody will pay for them, fee or their wages. If not, there’s no way I’ll want em here next season.

Mel - I know, I know.  But the FFP implications are so, that we can’t just let them go, it will cost us a fortune.

Frank - So there’s nothing we can do?

Mel - Haha.  I didn’t say that did I...

If you think this has been done simply due to the financials, then wouldn’t we be releasing Keogh, Carson and other top earners???

2 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

INT - DCFC BOARD ROOM OCTOBER  21st 2019 - DAY 

Frank Lampard & Mel Morris are having a meeting to discuss players for the following season.

Frank - I’m serious Mel. Butterfield & Blackman are crap, I mean really crap. I’d rather play Shay outfield than either of them.  Can’t we give em a pay off in January? Cus nobody will pay for them, fee or their wages. If not, there’s no way I’ll want em here next season.

Mel - I know, I know.  But the FFP implications are so, that we can’t just let them go, it will cost us a fortune.

Frank - So there’s nothing we can do?

Mel - Haha.  I didn’t say that did I...

If you think this has been done simply due to the financials, then wouldn’t we be releasing Keogh, Carson and other top earners???

Carson maybe but Keogh plays week in week out.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

@G STAR RAM Just to echo your point mate, check the date on this tweet and what Johnson has said. BBC Radio Derby or Telegraph that’s come from 

0F43F8EE-90B9-4000-ABE4-0ABA95E25F8E.png

Would be funny if Johnson genuinely did think he was out of contract and this extension is as much of a surprise to him as anyone else

I'm not arsed regarding the retained list - the extensions for Butterfield and Blackman haven't been done for footballing reasons. It just goes to show how ridiculous FFP is in the grand scheme of things and the hoops we need to jump through to make the most of our budget. 

I can't get my head round why Butterfield and Blackman have accepted contracts on significantly lower terms either, surely they're just prolonging the inevitable. Anyway.. I guess that's football in the Championship nowadays, especially without parachute payments. We have to do what we can to compete, the alternative could well be Ipswich. 

Archived