Retained List

1 hour ago, JfR said:

When he got sent back up to Scotland, Frank said that he's definitely in the long-term plans and is "very much our player", but that it was agreed that it would suit him better to get a full season of first team football at Aberdeen that season, before playing a bigger role at Derby next season. I think the plan was always to only bring him back in as a temporary fix until we could get Cole signed on, and if we didn't have the crisis at left-back he probably wouldn't have come back until the end of the season. 

Lets be honest here throwing him straight in against Leeds probably didnt do his confidence much good. Reaction to his performance was unfair as the rest of the team didnt exactly do great in that game either. Hopefully his time in Scotland has done him good though.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not arsed regarding the retained list - the extensions for Butterfield and Blackman haven't been done for footballing reasons. It just goes to show how ridiculous FFP is in the grand scheme of things and the hoops we need to jump through to make the most of our budget. 

I can't get my head round why Butterfield and Blackman have accepted contracts on significantly lower terms either, surely they're just prolonging the inevitable. Anyway.. I guess that's football in the Championship nowadays, especially without parachute payments. We have to do what we can to compete, the alternative could well be Ipswich. 

15k for 2 seasons followed by 5k for one plus 2 signing bonuses, or 25k for 1 season followed by 5k for 2 with 1 signing bonus. ?‍♂️

I agree on your (and 99% of people’s) view on FFP. Needs to be more focused on ‘sustainability’ rather than limiting losses. 

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not arsed regarding the retained list - the extensions for Butterfield and Blackman haven't been done for footballing reasons. It just goes to show how ridiculous FFP is in the grand scheme of things and the hoops we need to jump through to make the most of our budget. 

I can't get my head round why Butterfield and Blackman have accepted contracts on significantly lower terms either, surely they're just prolonging the inevitable. Anyway.. I guess that's football in the Championship nowadays, especially without parachute payments. We have to do what we can to compete, the alternative could well be Ipswich. 

50k a week to 40k a week is a significant % drop!

In all fairness you can understand the new deals for Blackman and butterfield ur they’re effectively paper transactions for ffp and we’ll see them go before pre season anyway. The one year extension for Johnson has me a little concerned though, on reduced wages which is good and expected at his age, but while I think he’s still got something to offer at this level, have we not just singed his replacement in shinnie? In which case surely he’s surplus to requirements and at his age the best thing to do is let him leave for free. We knew about Brysons contract offer anyway, although im not 100% sure he’ll take it as he may want to move back to Scotland with his family. The other releases were all fairly obvious, all older players either not good enough at this level anymore, or unneeded/done their job, none really that spectacular in their time here either. Best thing to do is let them go, although we are now short at centre half it has to be said and we need a replacement there. Thanks to the loan players for doing the job we needed of them as well.

Shocked at some of the u23s being let go, in particular elsnik who I’ve always rated as one of our top prospects. Feel many of them have been let go too early in this day and age when sometimes youngsters can take a while to reach their best, could regret letting some go in the future. In the past you could kinda understand it, nowadays I’d like to see them stay for a couple more years to see if they make it/become worth something at the very least.

Good to see no under 18s being released either at the end of their scholarships, all have signed pro deals and moved up to where it all really starts with the u23s. A seriously talented group and I’d imagine quite the rarity that that happens, academy really baring fruits now that all of that generation was good enough for the step up. Testimony to their achievements at u18 level this season. Will be interested to see how good the next batch to come through are as well to supplement the remaining u18s, if they’re as good as the last lot the investment really is working wonders!

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or Sheff Utd

Sheffield United are a good example of how exceptional a team needs to be in order to compete at this level without that level of funds. They've signed largely players that were released or unwanted by other clubs on cheap deals and found a manager who quite frankly is nothing short of a genius to put them all together.

Jon Egan is the only player, really, in their squad they have and their previous club would have wanted to keep. It's an astonishing achievement. They had to sell their best young talent in over a decade in order to be able to do that, as well. 

All very intriguing stuff

I am shocked at the Blackman Butterfield part as I thought they would never return but we are where we are

regarding the actual players - a contract is still better than no contract  

that clement era is a hauntingly good reminder of how not to do things and the Pearson  era was like setting of fireworks in a gunpowder factory. Rowett actually did ok on that financial front.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

. The one year extension for Johnson has me a little concerned though, on reduced wages which is good and expected at his age, but while I think he’s still got something to offer at this level, have we not just singed his replacement in shinnie? In which case surely he’s surplus to requirements and at his age the best thing to do is let him leave for free. 

Well I suppose it might be a good idea to have some cover! But maybe he might play further forward too, y'know like what he was signed for originally?

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Based on?

a) It makes sense for FFP to have just pushed their release from the 18/19 books to the 19/20 books and 
b) it says their release this summer is "highly likely" in the DET article about the retained list

hi all

The retained list according to the DCFC website is

Scott Carson, Andre Wisdom, Craig Forsyth, Richard Keogh, Martyn Waghorn, Tom Lawrence, Florian Jozefzoon, Jack Marriott, Bradley Johnson, George Evans, Jacob Butterfield, Chris Martin, Mason Bennett, Kelle Roos, Nick Blackman, Duane Holmes, Max Lowe, Ikechi Anya, Curtis Davies, George Thorne, Jonathan Mitchell, Jayden Bogle, Luke Thomas, Max Bird, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Malone.

So, new game...what's the best 11 from just those players and where do you think we would finish if that was the team for next season?

I'd go for (cover in brackets):

Carson (Roos)

Bogle (Wisdom)   Psycho (Davies)   Evans (Malone)    Lowe (Fozzy)

Thorne (Hudds)   

Lawrence (Anya)  Mason B (Brad)  Marriott (Butters)  Holmes (Josefzoon)

Chris Martin (Waggy)   

Y'know, 5 years ago we'd have said that a team that included Thorne, Hudds, Chris Martin, Waggy & Wisdom was a strong side!  Add to that the pace of Lawro & Duane H, plus two quality wing backs in Bogle & Max Lowe, and even if no one came in or out in the summer we'd still be competitive I reckon, though probably top 10 rather than top 2.

To me, as I look at that team, it reminds me of the recent Hatton Garden robbery.  Can this team of old stagers, together with the new blood we now have, come together for one last raid on the Holy Grail of promotion. one last 'blaaaaag' as it were?  In recent years we've seen teams go up who individually didn't have the quality that we still have even now, they just found a way of making the whole greater than the sum of the parts (Brighton, Huddersfield, Burnley, Sheff Utd).

If we make changes, who goes out & who comes in?  Why bring in players who aren't an improvement on what we already have?  We've done this so many times, signing too many players in the £1-2 million range, and it almost never works out.  Why not (i) give the old stagers a chance once more (ii) bring the U23/U18 through and (iii) if we have money, bring in 1 or 2 real quality people from the PL on the basis that we very nearly went up this time and should be up there again?

Someone pointed out the other day that this will be the first decade during which we haven't played top flight football.  True, but we've been so close so many times that if/when we do get back where we belong we need to make sure we stay there!  Can we, in the long term, go from being like West Brom/Norwich (yoyo team) to being like Villa/Newcastle (bottom half but usually safe)?  Or even like Everton (usually top half, Europa league maybe)?

What do we need?  Who will provide the magic this time?  

LR2

8 hours ago, GenBr said:

Lets be honest here throwing him straight in against Leeds probably didnt do his confidence much good. Reaction to his performance was unfair as the rest of the team didnt exactly do great in that game either. Hopefully his time in Scotland has done him good though.

Franks team selection for that game was in any case kamikaze.

47 minutes ago, LondonRam2 said:

I'd go for (cover in brackets):

Carson (Roos)

Thorne (Hudds)   

Chris Martin (Waggy)   

I'm not entirely sure you've been watching Derby in the last 2 seasons ?

Martin and Thorne are probably (unfortunately) spent forces at Derby now - Two of the most talented footballers we've had at the club in recent years but the combo of manager changes and injuries seem to have done for them

Malone doesn't play CB and I wouldn't want him to - Fozzy has played there though so you could potentially switch them over

You haven't accounted for Shinnie coming in (and I wouldn't be shocked to see Huddlestone leave in the summer - Apparently he nearly went to Udinese in January)

Anya? Really?

Marriott is a forward...

Butterfield will be gone

55 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

a) It makes sense for FFP to have just pushed their release from the 18/19 books to the 19/20 books and 
b) it says their release this summer is "highly likely" in the DET article about the retained list

As I mentioned elsewhere, I don't see how they can give the players any value in the accounts if they release them before the season starts, especially if they have informed DET this is the plan. 

If it does play out like that other clubs would be well within their rights to call our acounting practices into question.

55 minutes ago, LondonRam2 said:

Carson (Roos)

Thorne (Hudds)   

Chris Martin (Waggy)   

Sack Frank and get this genius in charge.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, I don't see how they can give the players any value in the accounts if they release them before the season starts, especially if they have informed DET this is the plan. 

If it does play out like that other clubs would be well within their rights to call our acounting practices into question.

I think it’s because it drops into a different financial year for the club ( I could easily be wrong mind)

Well well Johnson wasn’t playing for a new contract after all! I guess all the haters are annoyed they weren’t right!

on the financial side I would imagine that they’ve cut the wages in half but an extra year so they aren’t out of pocket but it’s spread over the 2 years for FFP purposes.

shrewd business if you ask me

Archived