Silence

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Explain telling people to sit down as soon as we score then...

Daytrippers admiring the view....happened in block 223....."sit-down please I'd like to watch the last five minutes seated."

Ultimate Day tripper attitude.

We finally get some noise and something to cheer.  The daytrippers can't help themselves.

It was funny, sad and predictable 

They won't even frequent pride park often.

We sold tickets the wrong way and unknowing impacted on the atmosphere.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Daytrippers admiring the view....happened in block 223....."sit-down please I'd like to watch the last five minutes seated."

Ultimate Day tripper attitude.

We finally get some noise and something to cheer.  The daytrippers can't help themselves.

It was funny, sad and predictable 

They won't even frequent pride park often.

We sold tickets the wrong way and unknowing impacted on the atmosphere.

And yet a row of people behind me who were standing up from the start, left after Villa’s second goal went in. No doubt went for more beer. The rest of us stayed and supported our team.

Think we peaked too early. Villa were quiet in London itself. We were deafening in Covent Garden, Leicester Square and the tube down. Barely saw a claret and blue shirt until we got there.

Think we drank and sang ourselves out of contention before a ball was kicked.

Also, there’s those blaming the team sheet for the atmosphere. Kevin from Sinfin decided not to sing because Mason Bennett was playing up front...yeah, right.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Think we peaked too early. Villa were quiet in London itself. We were deafening in Covent Garden, Leicester Square and the tube down. Barely saw a claret and blue shirt until we got there.

Also, there’s those blaming the team sheet for the atmosphere. Kevin from Sinfin decided not to sing because Mason Bennett was playing up front...yeah, right.

I don’t agree, you’ll get some who will adapt a “I told you so” attitude when the first went in, that was after a dire start. 

We were very loud pre match, the whole end did the bounce, if we’d of started better then that would have carried on in my opinion.

look what happened when the changes came, the crowd lifted, the goal went in and we got behind them again.

But you can’t maintain loud noise when a team that aren’t prepared to give you something in return, I don’t care who you are.

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Nerves take over. 

It's pretty difficult to get universal chants going in Wembley sitting all over the place and trying to be in unison, especially the more wordy chants. Villa had an advantage on that front with that bloody Allez song and their anthem being quite easy to sing and stay in time to.

Why is being asked to sit down such a heinous crime and why does it make you any less of a fan for sitting rather than standing?

My entire block stood for the whole game.  Presumably this wasn't by choice, but because ignorant people in the first row wanted to stand irrespective of the views (literal and metaphorical) of the people behind them. This then effects the whole block.  Luckily for me at least, I can stand and the people directly behind me could as well.  But what if one of the old men or woman I saw around the stands had been behind me?  I'd have felt a right ignorant d*ckhead for depriving those people of a view and no doubt would have gotten nowhere asking the rows of people in front of me to sit.  

I'm not necessarily against people standing or being a killjoy, but berating those who thought they were buying a seat and were expecting to sit is very poor in my view and if its true that people were getting abuse for asking then even more so.  

By the by, I sensed no particular upswell in volume from my block of standers than anywhere else either, so there might be a false equivalency there too.

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Did the fans turn up today?

Once again, the fans didn’t turn up when it mattered. Some running away at half time, some sitting on their hands after we scored.

We have a fantastic core you are there to support us home and away, but when it really matters, there’s not enough to spur the team on. It’s no surprise to me our best performances have been away when we’ve taken a few thousand fans. When the ground is silent (home and Wembley) we as fans don’t offer enough. 

I think that's unfair - The Derby boys were in full voice pre-game and by far the loudest - The first 30 mins even when Villa were dominating I thought we were in good voice

I fully admit after their second goal the crowd became a bit subdued but that happens - I fully assumed we were done for at that point (and thought the resilience the team showed after that was spectacular)

The major problem if you ask me is they should have allocated specific parts of the ground to specific stands from home - But it seemed like there were loads of parents and kids around me (and I tried/mostly failed to keep my language in check), a smattering of the beer-brigade (leaving 5 mins before half-time) and a lot of (I think) casuals (who also seemed gutted at the end)

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Explain telling people to sit down as soon as we score then...

I sat down for the majority of the game because 1) I'm fudging terrified of heights and the top of Wembley is steep! After a couple of beers I was pretty worried about myself and 2) There was a little lad sat behind me who wouldn't have been able to see if everyone was stood in front of him

13 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Why is being asked to sit down such a heinous crime and why does it make you any less of a fan for sitting rather than standing?

I don't understand this either - I live in London but have a season ticket - Come up for every home game (I have to take afternoon and next morning off for evenings games) and go to a fair few of the away games in and around London - Have done that for 12 years, did 4 years of commuting from Durham for games and have had the ticket for 25+ years in total - I'd like to think of myself as a fairly committed fan

And I like to sit - And I'm fine with that

My mate took his old man to the game yesterday - The dude has been a Derby fan for 70 odd years now - Is he less of a Derby fan because he needs to sit for some of the game at least? And should he suffer not being able to see the game so people can stand in front of him?

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

......,And I like to sit - And I'm fine with that

My mate took his old man to the game yesterday - The dude has been a Derby fan for 70 odd years now - Is he less of a Derby fan because he needs to sit for some of the game at least? And should he suffer not being able to see the game so people can stand in front of him?

Hear hear. I'm 72 and I've had many many years standing in the BBG terraces. But now I don't think I could stand for 90 minutes

1 hour ago, SaffyRam said:

And yet a row of people behind me who were standing up from the start, left after Villa’s second goal went in. No doubt went for more beer. The rest of us stayed and supported our team.

Same where we were ! Stood up spouted some incomprehensible garbage due to over inebriation, went for more beer on mass, just because you stand up for a whole game in the south stand does not put you into the elite supporter group, it’s something that is done by choice, like those who wish to sit, like many I have been watching this team for forty years and I find it insulting being described as a day tripper, I was there with my 76 year old dad who has been a season ticket holder for probably fifty of those years, and my nine year old lad, we were in the family section which I think made as much noise as the south stand elite  that were obviously dotted around the ground, at least we didn’t have to endure the embarrassing Collymore diatribe!

We haven’t even got a couple of unique songs like most clubs can resort to when looking to get the noise generated, we sing about hating forest and everybody is expected to stand up, we sing about bouncing if we don’t we are a red, both songs aimed at forcing a reaction  to do with forest rather than embracing our own team, we sing about hating Leeds, it’s a pretty poor selection of tunes to be honest, I remember in the old days, we used to go to night clubs, get a decent DJ on and the place would be jumping ! Get a poor one playing his favourite tunes and it was dead ! Just saying !

any how that’s enough of my condescending waffle ! A new season beckons, hopefully with some new faces and with Frank still at the wheel, whatever happens we will still be there in our numbers supporting our team in which ever way we want to !

up the rams !

Went to the game. I'm not a ST holder, live in London - last time I saw the rams live was against Watford and West Ham away, so that's a good few years ago. It was disappointing, but still a good day out. 

I was sitting maybe two blocks from the Villa end, but they were so loud. And even if they've stolen Liverpool's song/and also a selection of Neil Diamond songs, at least they have them. We've got a song about how much we hate Forest. Is it a bit pathetic, really. Sorry, forgot the 'come on Derby' song, written by anonymous. 

I'm a bit disappointed that you lot who go every week didn't make more noise. You made it at Wembley park station, but in the stadium you could have heard a butterfly fart in China. 

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

Sorry, you are wrong about this (the last bit). The team news deflated a lot, just like nugent being selected against Leeds did. The opposite can also be true. Pride park was bouncing when raziak  and  idiakez were on the team sheet against Preston in the play offs-it lifted everyone. It was only when it became apparent that they were still injured and in Claude davies’ pocket that it quietened down. 

Just chiming in on behalf of all "daytrippers", I think it's unfair assuming that we're all there to sit quietly and take in the spectacle, and that we're merely fair weather fans, without knowing everyone's circumstances. I'm sure there are supporters who fall into that category, but I certainly like to think I'm not one of them.

I first started attending games in '93, had a season ticket from '94 through to '06, and went to away games whenever I could ( and my Dad could take me). I had to stop going when I could no longer afford it and regularly worked Saturday afternoons. Since then I've lived in Leeds, and now London, and due to my misguided career choices (seriously regretting that bloody art degree) can't go to nearly as many games as I'd like. Despite this, I like to think I'm fairly vociferous, probably more so than when I had a season ticket as it's now more of an occasion for myself, and I try to make the most of it.

Yesterday my mate got called something obscene (something about his self-love routine) for not clapping or singing loud enough. He was both singing and clapping, but he has weak hands (surprising considering all the self-love) and he's a fairly shy guy, so wasn't exactly leading the chants. He was a long term season ticket holder, but that's irrelevant - creating these kind of divisions within your own fan base, especially during the game, is hardly encouraging... and also a tragically accurate representation of British society currently. As a result my mate was pretty sheepish for the rest of the game because he was humiliated.

Fact is, you could attend 50 games a season, stand up for 90 minutes each game, be as loud as you like and spew nothing but hateful bile at the players and your own supporters (experienced this on many occasions) - does that make you more of a supporter? Is that contributing more to the club's success in any way, besides financially? Or does is create a more poisonous atmosphere that prevents 'casual' fans from going more regularly?

Is it any surprise the atmosphere was lacking?

Villa stood together side by side. They were as one, and backed their team as one. You could feel it from the moment you arrived on Wembley Way.

Our fan base is divided, has been for a while, and topics like this merely add fuel to the fire.

We are all hurting right now. Yet some fans see fit to twist the knife even further. It beggars belief. It stinks of a misplaced sense of superiority when you label another fan who has paid their hard earned money to watch our team a half-fan, a daytripper, a bandwagon jumper etc.

I flew from Porto for the second time in just under three weeks just to watch us. I took another day off work. I spent several hundred pounds again. I traded cocktails on the beach for hours on buses, trains and planes. I didn’t stand all game. I didn’t sing all game.

I am sorry if that’s not enough for some of you and it doesn’t fit into your box of what a supporter should be. Sorry I am not worthy to stand side by side with some of you who have been to almost every game and can get Linda in HR to start the bounce.

All this talk about vocal support being the difference too is just a deflection from the fact the players, not the fans, froze on the big stage.

If it’s supposed to make a difference, what difference did it make for Leeds two weeks ago when they were sent home crying into their scarves?

I’ve been to many games where our fans have given everything vocally and the players haven’t responded, and I’ve been to games where the atmosphere has been deathly and we have played fantastically despite that.

Just because some fans have only been 1-2 or 4-5 games this season - it doesn’t mean this is the extent of their support. They are doing the best they can in their circumstances. They might be different to what they were a few years ago. I know I can’t go as often as I did when I was 17, but the passion is still there.

If we want to have togetherness as a fan base, we have to appreciate our fans come from many different walks of life and we have to appreciate every one of the fans we have, instead of this rotten attitude of suggesting that if you don’t tick certain boxes, you’re not worthy.

How many Derby season ticket holders are there?

What's the average "home" attendance?

Why were some Derby fans demanding extra tickets if they didn't want 38,000 Rams there?

When there are 38,000 at Wembley of course there are going to be AT LEAST 10,000 and probably closer to 15,000 who don't go to games regularly, 10,000 who are there for the occasion, 10,000 who may not be part of the singing "ultra" fan.

You can't begrudge that type of fan, the chances are they are family members of other fans, the chances are nanna, grandad, uncle joe and a few of their kids are going to show up.

I've never understood the venom some fans spout at Football, if it's not at the players or the manager it's at the fans. FFS, concentrate on your own behaviour, if you come away proud of the way you've sang and shouted, fair play but don't judge everyone else by your standards.

I can't believe some of the nastiness over the last couple of days.

Nastiness towards the manager, nastiness toward some of the players and nastiness to those who no doubt stumped up a couple of hundred quid to get to London and watch a fantastic occasion.

It's bizarre and it doesn't reflect well on the club.

17 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

How many Derby season ticket holders are there?

What's the average "home" attendance?

Why were some Derby fans demanding extra tickets if they didn't want 38,000 Rams there?

When there are 38,000 at Wembley of course there are going to be AT LEAST 10,000 and probably closer to 15,000 who don't go to games regularly, 10,000 who are there for the occasion, 10,000 who may not be part of the singing "ultra" fan.

You can't begrudge that type of fan, the chances are they are family members of other fans, the chances are nanna, grandad, uncle joe and a few of their kids are going to show up.

I've never understood the venom some fans spout at Football, if it's not at the players or the manager it's at the fans. FFS, concentrate on your own behaviour, if you come away proud of the way you've sang and shouted, fair play but don't judge everyone else by your standards.

I can't believe some of the nastiness over the last couple of days.

Nastiness towards the manager, nastiness toward some of the players and nastiness to those who no doubt stumped up a couple of hundred quid to get to London and watch a fantastic occasion.

It's bizarre and it doesn't reflect well on the club.

I agree completely with nearly everything you have said. Very wise words and some on this forum really need to wind their necks in. Everything that is except for your final sentence. I don't really think it reflects on the club, just a small number of supporters that have seriously over-reacted.

I stood up at times but sat down at times but I had few singers near me but I do feel sone cant or wont see what certain players offer. But I do feel away members should been given first dips of tickets. Saying 15 games or more.

This would stop some of these glory hunting fans from getting tickets.

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I stood up at times but sat down at times but I had few singers near me but I do feel sone cant or wont see what certain players offer. But I do feel away members should been given first dips of tickets. Saying 15 games or more.

This would stop some of these glory hunting fans from getting tickets.

I wonder how many of our away members actually failed to get one of the 38,000 tickets though?

It doesn't mean everyone has to jump, bounce and yell the songs at the tops of their voices as that's not always possible due to health reasons, age etc. It's not hard to clap along though and all too often a song would start up and no one would even bother to clap along. No of course you can't measure how good a fan is on the % of the game they played a vocal/visual part in supporting the team, but why go if you have no desire to join in and motivate the team? This was even before Villas first goal as well, so we were still in the game!

Just now, goldstar said:

It doesn't mean everyone has to jump, bounce and yell the songs at the tops of their voices as that's not always possible due to health reasons, age etc. It's not hard to clap along though and all too often a song would start up and no one would even bother to clap along. No of course you can't measure how good a fan is on the % of the game they played a vocal/visual part in supporting the team, but why go if you have no desire to join in and motivate the team? This was even before Villas first goal as well, so we were still in the game!

right at the start I promise you Derby were the only fans heard, doing the bounce. As the game wore on though, that faded naturally as a reaction to being 2 down. 

Archived