Silence

I'll go back to the point I made in the other thread. Most of my frustration is aimed at those who specifically chose to sit in the designated singing area but looked at those singing as though they were weirdos.  If you didn't want to sing, there were about 20 other blocks to sit in. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I'll go back to the point I made in the other thread. Most of my frustration is aimed at those who specifically chose to sit in the designated singing area but looked at those singing as though they were weirdos.  If you didn't want to sing, there were about 20 other blocks to sit in. 

You know by now I like you right?

I've avoided replying directly 'cos I wanted to work out how to do it without you thinking I'm having a pop.

All I can say is you'll change as you get older pal. When I was 17/18 I'd be going absolutely nuts, jumping around like a mad mad (the days before all seater), throwing chips and drinks everywhere. Starting the chants.

It's what you do as a young fan, not only is it what you do, it's your job. You feel like you owe it to the team.

It's like going clubbing or going to discos or going to Ibiza. You do it when you're young and full of life and energy.

Then you get older. you sit down at games, you sing along but not so much. You go out for a glass of wine and a bite to eat instead of going clubbing and you go to Mallorca instead of Ibiza.

It's just an age thing, you get calmer as you get older.

The club needs fans like you, you are the next generation but it doesn't mean the oldies love the club any less.

Keep singing pal. It's good to see your enthusiasm.

12 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I've avoided replying directly 'cos I wanted to work out how to do it without you thinking I'm having a pop.

All I can say is you'll change as you get older pal. When I was 17/18 I'd be going absolutely nuts, jumping around like a mad mad (the days before all seater), throwing chips and drinks everywhere. Starting the chants.

It's what you do as a young fan, not only is it what you do, it's your job. You feel like you owe it to the team.

It's like going clubbing or going to discos or going to Ibiza. You do it when you're young and full of life and energy.

Then you get older. you sit down at games, you sing along but not so much. You go out for a glass of wine and a bite to eat instead of going clubbing and you go to Mallorca instead of Ibiza.

The club needs fans like you, you are the next generation but it doesn't mean the oldies love the club any less.

Probably the best post I've seen since the game finished.

I wish we could close the two threads "silence" and "hang your head in shame". We;re never going to all agree, and we'll keep getting reports of "it was great/crap where I was" in equal measure. All it's doing is continuing to divide fans and is getting quite boring now. Can we move on to something new?

A few quick thoughts from me. Villa fans weren't loud until they scored and were silent when we were on the front foot, momentum in matches and atmosphere match up pretty well... I thought after we scored the fans tried to suck that ball into the goal but it wasn't to be. 

Second, there are numerous ways to support the club, personally as a man of 25 I sing and shout and analyse the game after. My mum being 50 doesn't sing so much but joins in with the odd chant when she wants and has a good time talking to me about the game. I've got a mate who doesn't sing so much or chant and he likes to analyse the football so he often sits in the west stand. These are all equally valid ways of supporting the club, I'm not a drunken lout or a moron, my mum isn't a part timer and my mate isn't a boring lad who needs to scream and holler. 

Neither me or my  mum are season ticket holders anymore but we attend 8-10 games a season and follow it religiously on radio when we can. I live in leeds and am still a student so money is too tight for a season ticket really. If Derby had sold the tickets in a similar way to Villa maybe we wouldn't have had these kinds of issues we're now all talking about? Maybe the singing section would have been filled with those happy to sing and bounce as i do every game i go to rather than a free for all where people were simply trying to get any ticket possible. 

Personally i had a cracking time in london throughout the day and didn't experience one bit of trouble or dodgy behaviour until i was inside the stadium where there was a villa fan who did annoy some fellow Derby fans in block 207.  I wouldn't be overly critical as wembley is a tricky place to get an atmosphere going. 

33 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Never worry about saying what you think to me mate. I do try and evaluate my own behaviour/posts, so I'm happy to have anyone agree or disagree with me.

What you're describing is exactly how I feel, minus the chips and drink throwing part! I have no idea what I'll be like when I'm older but perhaps it will be as you say, although, to be honest, I hope I don't lose my enthusiasm for standing or singing. I definitely could do with loosening up a bit and caring less about what others do. It's just very difficult to let go of the disappointment I felt on Monday at the minute though. Very difficult.

have to say I was taken back by the lack of atmosphere from our end, though did seemed to be pockets of fans dotted around trying to drum up some noise.. strange when you consider the chaos at Covent Garden beforehand and rams fans made a racket from Wembley Park station back to St Pancras from what I saw whereas the Villa fans heading in the same direction were surprisingly mute?

Archived