Silence

3 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I hate the 'big club' argument but I have been doing some thinking in regard to the 'better fan' argument since cooling down after Monday. And I've decided that, yes, there are some that are 'better fans' than others. Thinking back to the passion that pockets of us were showing, trying to cheer our team on with 20 minutes to go in the biggest game of the season but getting absolutely nothing back suggests that some people do care more about the club than others.

I know that will likely annoy a few people but I was genuinely astounded by the lack of passion shown on Monday. I felt like we had let the club down.

Substitute 'fan' for 'supporter' and I would agree with you. I have nothing against 'fans', but it would be nice to see more people at the ground supporting the players

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Archied said:

Jeez you don’t catch on fast mate shouting and being loud does not make anybody a better fan or mean they care more about the club than the loud ,,, it’s just people have different personalities , you say you never went to the baseball ground ,,I did from the age of 5 and over the years was very much part of making that ground the legendary cauldron it was but for many years I used to get a lift to and from games from stapenhill with three old boys who sat in the ley stand and used to laugh at me going off to the pop side and ossie end , they were not loud singers but I never once doubted they loved Derby county and their passion for the club ,

so ok you want to be really silly and play the better fans than others game because you had a few sherbet s and made a noise ,,, you’ve been a Derby fan 5 minutes in terms of fans in that ground who followed the club all their lives  , being a better Derby fan is turning up and being amongst and respecting all our brotherhood of fans of all shapes ,sizes, types, ,,how many of those loud drunks you foolishly class as better fans only turn up for big games ? Nope you don’t know but as long as they fit your view of what a better fan is the so be it ,

gonna leave it at that because as much as I thought you had half a brain you just keep making posts ,comments and judgments that show perhaps you haven’t really

Have to agree with you.

i go to games with a mix of people, I’m one of the more vocal ones but would never think for one minute that I’m more of a fan than them just because they don’t choose to sing and stand up during a game.

I was sat in front of an elderly gentleman who couldn’t stand, he didn’t sing and reminded us several times that he couldn’t see when we were giving our vocal backing, no problem with that, he had every right to be there as I did.

It seems to be more and more fans trying to create this elite group that they want to be in, not just the ones that think it’s a must to sing and think knocking one off at a football ground is something to shout about. I go to away games, and quite often the atmosphere has been poor, agree it’s great when we are winning but as in the play offs that isn’t always the case. Safe standing will improve it, funny that people advocating this didn’t even sit in the designated singing area, maybe if they did they could have improved the said poor atmosphere.

maybe the answer is to get some badges made, away club elite member who sings, shouts and stands throughout the game, maybe have stars above it for how many times you have “frequented” the toilet as well ?

11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Have to agree with you.

i go to games with a mix of people, I’m one of the more vocal ones but would never think for one minute that I’m more of a fan than them just because they don’t choose to sing and stand up during a game.

I was sat in front of an elderly gentleman who couldn’t stand, he didn’t sing and reminded us several times that he couldn’t see when we were giving our vocal backing, no problem with that, he had every right to be there as I did.

It seems to be more and more fans trying to create this elite group that they want to be in, not just the ones that think it’s a must to sing and think knocking one off at a football ground is something to shout about. I go to away games, and quite often the atmosphere has been poor, agree it’s great when we are winning but as in the play offs that isn’t always the case. Safe standing will improve it, funny that people advocating this didn’t even sit in the designated singing area, maybe if they did they could have improved the said poor atmosphere.

maybe the answer is to get some badges made, away club elite member who sings, shouts and stands throughout the game, maybe have stars above it for how many times you have “frequented” the toilet as well ?

Maybe if the people not planning to sing buy the tickets in those areas it would have been better. 0 available in those blocks past the ST period iirc

11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Safe standing will improve it, funny that people advocating this didn’t even sit in the designated singing area, maybe if they did they could have improved the said poor atmosphere.

I think that was because of the way the tickets were sold. After waiting in the queue for an hour an half all of the singing blocks with seats available had only single seats dotted around the block. After looking around the blocks for ten minutes the only one that opened up was in the top tier. I haven't sat down at a game for years, and I was in front of two small boys so I couldn't stand up and due to the lack of anyone singing around us I was sat on my hands for most of the game.

Looking down at the 'singing sections' it looked the same in reverse, I would guess that half the people in there weren't in there because it's the singing section but because they were the only seats available in their preferred price band when they logged on.

As for safe standing, it will ease the problem a little if it's ever given the go-ahead, because people will be able to choose tickets in the standing area or the seating area, but you'll still get a lot of people going in there not because they want to improve the atmosphere but because the tickets are cheaper, like they do in the South Stand now.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe if the people not planning to sing buy the tickets in those areas it would have been better. 0 available in those blocks past the ST period iirc

Wembley never released the level two ,side line blocks until most st holders had already bought , was a dogs dinner of a sale policy , 

I am sure Mel Morris will listen to all this constructive feedback in his forums.

Tough gig for him - as he has to cater for all fans, supporters all shapes and sizes ages gender, loudness, drinking end etc!! (thats what cricket has!!)

I don't think anyone has the right to say. - who can go. - and who should stay at home - its our club. And whether you are an ex pop side lad like me  - turned over 50 now - but still as vociferous as ever...or you like just watching the game - everyone should be welcome as long as they are Derby Fans and back the team

The secret to this is clear understanding of the problem and get people channelled into the right areas. Quite right that some 75 year old doesn,t want to stand up and be loud - and there are few like that......so lets have a quiet area! My mate who has dodgy knees cant go in the South Stand because of the standing issue...no probs

Another things that I have also been thinking about and I really don't want people calling some of our fans "day trippers" or the happy clappers

everyone has there own choice what they do before the game - beers at dawn, lunch somewhere or whatever - dosent make you a less supporter

In a way - tin hat on now - you could class a day tripper on BH Monday  - to the people who get W22nkered before 0930 - go to tourist place in London - act loud, get to the game and fall asleep or lose their voice before the game........what use is that in the decibel count in the Derby end. 

This footballer supporter image of going to trafalger square in a mob or west end of London I think is a bit touristy and crass - I live down in London in the week. Don't get me wrong I had a gal before I sat down in block523 - and was probably the loudest in the block - my lad calms me down!!

have a think about that.....its an all inclusive club

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I couldn’t vouch for those who did and didn’t in buy in that area, however it doesn’t seem a problem to be for those seats to be available to ST holders first, maybe they didn’t even realise it was designated as a singing area ?

I managed to get tickets near to the blocks a few hours after they went on sale to ST holders,  didn’t use them myself as I swapped to be with friends, but a few have moaned were not even within the same vicinity as the singing block. 

17 minutes ago, curb said:

I think that was because of the way the tickets were sold. After waiting in the queue for an hour an half all of the singing blocks with seats available had only single seats dotted around the block. After looking around the blocks for ten minutes the only one that opened up was in the top tier. I haven't sat down at a game for years, and I was in front of two small boys so I couldn't stand up and due to the lack of anyone singing around us I was sat on my hands for most of the game.

Looking down at the 'singing sections' it looked the same in reverse, I would guess that half the people in there weren't in there because it's the singing section but because they were the only seats available in their preferred price band when they logged on.

As for safe standing, it will ease the problem a little if it's ever given the go-ahead, because people will be able to choose tickets in the standing area or the seating area, but you'll still get a lot of people going in there not because they want to improve the atmosphere but because the tickets are cheaper, like they do in the South Stand now.

I wouldn’t argue to much that the ticketing system didn’t help, but as on my previous post, some of these moaning weren’t even close to the signing block.

I also don’t get the “signing” section as being the sole driver behind the atmosphere, showing my age but we never had it back in my day, we never had clubs or anything like that, I get the point about standing up helps, but back to my original point those claiming to be these fans better than others (not my words) are no better just because they are more vocal.

26 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I wouldn’t argue to much that the ticketing system didn’t help, but as on my previous post, some of these moaning weren’t even close to the signing block.

I also don’t get the “signing” section as being the sole driver behind the atmosphere, showing my age but we never had it back in my day, we never had clubs or anything like that, I get the point about standing up helps, but back to my original point those claiming to be these fans better than others (not my words) are no better just because they are more vocal.

We didn't have to call it a singing block back in the day, everyone knew that if they went over to the middle of the Popside, or the area of the Ossie End next to the away fans, you'd be jumping around getting crushed etc. etc., so the young uns would go down the front, and the old uns would go to the sides or go in the seats. It's only now because of all seating and having to sit where your ticket tells you, whether that's in an area where they're standing up and you want to sit down, or vice versa, either way it's a problem and causes arguments.

I'm sure football would lose it's appeal we lost the atmosphere completely, and you can't just exclude someone who doesn't want to stand and sing, so there has to be a compromise somewhere, or a better system where most people get what they want.

14 minutes ago, curb said:

We didn't have to call it a singing block back in the day, everyone knew that if they went over to the middle of the Popside, or the area of the Ossie End next to the away fans, you'd be jumping around getting crushed etc. etc., so the young uns would go down the front, and the old uns would go to the sides or go in the seats. It's only now because of all seating and having to sit where your ticket tells you, whether that's in an area where they're standing up and you want to sit down, or vice versa, either way it's a problem and causes arguments.

I'm sure football would lose it's appeal we lost the atmosphere completely, and you can't just exclude someone who doesn't want to stand and sing, so there has to be a compromise somewhere, or a better system where most people get what they want.

Once again not disagreeing with the sentiment, personally enjoyed the atmosphere and the day, however I was sat with a group of friends that made our own atmosphere that wasn’t reliant on others. I took my lad (sort of) who is too young to take on a regular basis as he would get bored and may mean long term that he loses interest, I got him ticket in the family end, me I sat somewhere else because I knew that wouldn’t suit me, doesn’t make me a better fan than anyone else imo. 

I do get the call for improving the atmosphere, I don’t get the call out of fans that don’t sing as being inferior though.

Its always difficult to recreate singing atmosphere in neutral grounds the the main vocal element are scattered.

Was sat at on the segregation line between the 2 sets of fans and sure Villa noisy but that only started after they scored just before half time and carried the chants through the break. Up till that point they broke out into the odd song, like we did.  If we'd have scored first then we'd have been noisy and vocal.

They were very quiet for the last 20 mins and we were louder.

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I hate the 'big club' argument but I have been doing some thinking in regard to the 'better fan' argument since cooling down after Monday. And I've decided that, yes, there are some that are 'better fans' than others. Thinking back to the passion that pockets of us were showing, trying to cheer our team on with 20 minutes to go in the biggest game of the season but getting absolutely nothing back suggests that some people do care more about the club than others.

I know that will likely annoy a few people but I was genuinely astounded by the lack of passion shown on Monday. I felt like we had let the club down.

I go to a lot of away games with a close mate, and he's been to more away games than me this season (around 15) plus of course his season ticket. He spends a fortune on hotels/food/drink etc. Loves going to the games, loves watching the Rams, and it dominates the conversation to and from the games.

But can I get him to open his mouth to even shout, let alone sing. Can I heck. Yet I consider him to be a fantastic Derby supporter because he loves the club and goes to so many games. If you met him in the pub, what would you say to him? 

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

I go to a lot of away games with a close mate, and he's been to more away games than me this season (around 15) plus of course his season ticket. He spends a fortune on hotels/food/drink etc. Loves going to the games, loves watching the Rams, and it dominates the conversation to and from the games.

But can I get him to open his mouth to even shout, let alone sing. Can I heck. Yet I consider him to be a fantastic Derby supporter because he loves the club and goes to so many games. If you met him in the pub, what would you say to him? 

Ill I'll get the first round..what are you having? 

........silence...........?

10 hours ago, angieram said:

There were loads of people round me not making any noise - didn't even clap politely. I mean you'd clap at the theatre. I just don't get it. 

Give me 2,000 of us at an away game any day!  

@archram, I think the club could help with sitting at away games by designating first 10 rows for sitters and sticking to it. It would become self-policing if we did it.

Wembley was hit and miss - we were on Row 39 and sat throughout game. It didn't stop me making lots of noise though! 

I think the performance does have an effect on the crowd. I don’t think I have quite experienced anything like Leeds away in the semi final. Can 2600 do that week in week out I doubt it. I was disappointed that 38000 couldn’t generate anything like that but we had lost the game before we got going. The last 15 mins or so I was out my seat trying to get behind the team but the previous 75 mins didn’t get me up and out my seat. It wasn’t through not wanting to it was mood at the time.

We only sing when we are winning!!

Maybe too many had been in Covent Garden or whatever part of London. Made so much noise and drank so much beer that the vocal chords gave up when they got inside Wembley. Maybe some were so pissed they fell asleep inside the stadium. 

But we are all fans and we support our club in whatever way we decide is the best for us

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-afc-news/sunderland-fans-react-as-charlie-methven-brands-34-000-fans-as-quiet-during-wembley-clash-with-charlton-1-9792041?fbclid=IwAR1pQc-wRrh_YeNQMTdMkK_S9TJL5rSBbOKVFABcxQnLBZ5iciTiA_-2Dws

And he went on to state that he felt the travelling Wearside support was 'quiet' in the capital - especially in comparison to that of the Addicks.

"Ultimately Sunderland fans need to get realistic about that [staying in League One]," he said.

"Charlton have been in the Premier League for much of the last 20, 30 years and they had 40,000 fans to our 34,000 fans.

"On sheer size of club, it's hard to say that Charlton are the ones that deserved to stay down.

"I thought the Charlton fans were very loud. I thought our fans were quiet.

Sunderland owner getting absolutely hammered today for this.

Fans of losing team are quieter than the fans of a winning team shock.

20 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

WTF is this day tripper thing?There are many reason why a person can not  attend every match that does make them any lesser fan than you.

but its a chicken and egg situation do the team react to the crowd or is it the play produced by the team that starts the crown off.Yes villa fans were more vocal from the start because Villa attacked from the start

A day tripper is exactly as per the descriptor. I am not a ST holder FWIW, I live in the SE, I try and do the away games south of Derby. I was there cheering on the boys at the first game of the season at the Madejski stadium. Last game of the season? I was sat watching at home on TV because I was assigned number 18,000 odd in a randomly generated queue. Incidentally spending a couple of hours on this forum on the Sunday hearing about ST holders who had already secured their own tickets buying up tickets for family and friends. Nice one. And yes, I have been very vocal about why the club did not give fans who have attended games this season, however many, the opportunity to buy a ticket before all and sundry could. Seems reasonable enough for Villa to do it. 

Archived