Silence

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

right at the start I promise you Derby were the only fans heard, doing the bounce. As the game wore on though, that faded naturally as a reaction to being 2 down. 

Don't disagree, it started off well and I even felt a bit smug. But as soon as we misplaced a few passes, instead of encouraging the team there was loads of swearing, yelling and tutting and the atmosphere just went dead. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on an end of the back row of 502, next to some wired off bit of the top tier that had no seats.

Next to me was a chap who had come with mates, but they were separated so spent quite a bit of the time on his phone to them. Next to him a couple my age (mid 50's) in this years kit, then a younger chap with his daughter who looked c10.

I tried to chat a few times to the bloke and he was affable enough, but declared himself "knackered" from the start so didn't stand of sing. He then spoke to his mates and arranged after 60 mins to go and "get some snap - we're not going to come back from this". I was stood most of the game but I am a) short and b) was at the back. I sung a bit and clapped. 

Point is, this was a mixed crowd - not going to bellow out chants - but they were all shouting for Derby in their own fashion. We should embrace that we can attract all generations - including the next! 

Interesting that you thought that Derby were loud at the start. I sat in 121 so quite close to half way and throughout the game the noise was loudest when it was Villa fans singing.

I kept looking to my right for our singing section to get going but to be honest it wasn't reaching as far as me, no matter how hard they were trying in there.

Villa kept it simple - repeated the same two or three songs and it seemed their whole half was singing at times. 

We nearly shut them up before half time as we gradually wrestled possession away from them but the timing of their goal got them going again and carried into half time (just like we did at Leeds.) 

I have to give a shout out to some guys above and to the left of me who kept singing and I just joined in with them. I've no idea whether we were singing at odds with our singing section though as that noise was not reaching the halfway line.

The standing does become a problem as we get older. It’s one of the reasons I didn’t go yesterday. At nearly 78, I just can’t stand for that long and it’s a very expensive day if you get behind someone who refuses to sit down and you see very little of the game! I don’t know what the answer is - mine is to stay at home!

Having said that, I did stand for most of the Bristol away game, but it’s only 10 miles away so I don’t have a long journey either side of the match. Mind you, I did have to lie down in a darkened room for a few days afterwards!

13 hours ago, Duracell said:

Think we peaked too early. Villa were quiet in London itself. We were deafening in Covent Garden, Leicester Square and the tube down. Barely saw a claret and blue shirt until we got there.

Think we drank and sang ourselves out of contention before a ball was kicked.

Also, there’s those blaming the team sheet for the atmosphere. Kevin from Sinfin decided not to sing because Mason Bennett was playing up front...yeah, right.

I don’t agree I parked behind the villa end and at about 12.00 I walked past a crowd of about 200 drinking, letting off smoke bombs and singing that Liverpool song. They were really loud

On 27/05/2019 at 17:39, SillyBilly said:

No surprise when every non-ST holder was thrown into a lottery for a ticket. The way Villa sold they probably had less day trippers there.

WTF is this day tripper thing?There are many reason why a person can not  attend every match that does make them any lesser fan than you.

but its a chicken and egg situation do the team react to the crowd or is it the play produced by the team that starts the crown off.Yes villa fans were more vocal from the start because Villa attacked from the start

7 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

WTF is this day tripper thing?There are many reason why a person can not  attend every match that does make them any lesser fan than you.

but its a chicken and egg situation do the team react to the crowd or is it the play produced by the team that starts the crown off.Yes villa fans were more vocal from the start because Villa attacked from the start

There were plenty of day trippers though. My sister hasn't been to a game for 10 years, yet she messaged me just after I had booked my tickets, which was half an hour after they first went on sale, to say she was going to the match.

There were loads of people round me not making any noise - didn't even clap politely. I mean you'd clap at the theatre. I just don't get it. 

Give me 2,000 of us at an away game any day!  

@archram, I think the club could help with sitting at away games by designating first 10 rows for sitters and sticking to it. It would become self-policing if we did it.

Wembley was hit and miss - we were on Row 39 and sat throughout game. It didn't stop me making lots of noise though! 

8 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

What would be your definition of a Derby fan then?

Is it one who goes to 45/50 games a season spending most of their available time and money travelling around the country every weekend to watch their club?

Or is it someone who only goes to Wembley every 5 years because it's a good day out and it makes a good selfie for instagram?

1 hour ago, curb said:

What would be your definition of a Derby fan then?

Is it one who goes to 45/50 games a season spending most of their available time and money travelling around the country every weekend to watch their club?

Or is it someone who only goes to Wembley every 5 years because it's a good day out and it makes a good selfie for instagram?

Why the need to define what a Derby fan is ?,,,usually it’s a need in someone to feel superior to others , I’m a Derby fan ,have been for over 50 years ,I’m no better or worse a Derby fan than anybody else and don’t feel the need to find a spot on any undefinable pecking order ,people need to get a grip , the one thing I can tell you is that within reason anybody who is desperate to get a ticket to watch Derby at Wembley will find a way 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Why the need to define what a Derby fan is ?,,,usually it’s a need in someone to feel superior to others , I’m a Derby fan ,have been for over 50 years ,I’m no better or worse a Derby fan than anybody else and don’t feel the need to find a spot on any undefinable pecking order ,people need to get a grip , the one thing I can tell you is that within reason anybody who is desperate to get a ticket to watch Derby at Wembley will find a way 

It just interests me, it always comes up at times like this, similar to the ‘big club’ argument that repeatedly rears it’s head, people say it doesn’t matter, yet it obviously does or it wouldn’t come up so often. It’s not a case of feeling superior, quite the opposite, I mostly think I should be doing something more constructive with my time and money than feeding my obsession with The Rams ?

6 minutes ago, curb said:

It just interests me, it always comes up at times like this, similar to the ‘big club’ argument that repeatedly rears it’s head, people say it doesn’t matter, yet it obviously does or it wouldn’t come up so often. It’s not a case of feeling superior, quite the opposite, I mostly think I should be doing something more constructive with my time and money than feeding my obsession with The Rams ?

I hate the 'big club' argument but I have been doing some thinking in regard to the 'better fan' argument since cooling down after Monday. And I've decided that, yes, there are some that are 'better fans' than others. Thinking back to the passion that pockets of us were showing, trying to cheer our team on with 20 minutes to go in the biggest game of the season but getting absolutely nothing back suggests that some people do care more about the club than others.

I know that will likely annoy a few people but I was genuinely astounded by the lack of passion shown on Monday. I felt like we had let the club down.

18 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I stood up at times but sat down at times but I had few singers near me but I do feel sone cant or wont see what certain players offer. But I do feel away members should been given first dips of tickets. Saying 15 games or more.

This would stop some of these glory hunting fans from getting tickets.

Like me I suppose

4 hours ago, angieram said:

There were loads of people round me not making any noise - didn't even clap politely. I mean you'd clap at the theatre. I just don't get it. 

Give me 2,000 of us at an away game any day!  

@archram, I think the club could help with sitting at away games by designating first 10 rows for sitters and sticking to it. It would become self-policing if we did it.

Wembley was hit and miss - we were on Row 39 and sat throughout game. It didn't stop me making lots of noise though! 

sensible solution but they cant do anything that effectively condones standing.  A guy near us was looking for people who were upset by the standing and then finding people on the lower rows willing to swap seats.  It can be self policing as long as it isn't some lardy drunkard, we have our fair share unfortunately 

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

sensible solution but they cant do anything that effectively condones standing.  A guy near us was looking for people who were upset by the standing and then finding people on the lower rows willing to swap seats.  It can be self policing as long as it isn't some lardy drunkard, we have our fair share unfortunately 

Tell me about them! I  know if the row in front of me is still empty at 2.45 it is going to be taken up by some loud-mouthed drunk with a limited vocab that consists mainly of swear words usually aimed at the opposition fans, Lawrence or Keogh.

On the rare occasion I have struck pay dirt and they've either cleared off to the bar before half time or fallen asleep in their seats! 

My favourite place at away games is a few rows in front of those 1884 crowd who sing the right songs and keep them going all game, especially when they are most needed. Hats off to those guys! 

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You’re right. Standing really does help the atmosphere but I make sure to check with the person behind me first to make sure it’s alright. If not, you find somewhere else to stand. Unless it’s in the ‘singing section’ or something, in which case you’ve got no excuse.

The last few comments has got me thinking about the standing/sitting 'problem'. It should be easy enough to self-police at home and for the typical away day. Places like Wembley is much more difficult.

I suppose I shouldn't have expected much at Wembley after what it was like in the Leeds first leg. The block in the East stand closest to the Leeds fans sat down as soon as the whistle blew. A couple of lads stayed on their feet and tried to get a song going but a mardy sod behind them immediately called a steward over to get them to sit. A few minutes later they stood up and he tried to get them kicked out. They didn't join in with any chants after that. When we were awarded the penalty the mardy fella remained in his seat, and half the block didn't even clap. This was the biggest game of the season and one of the few blocks (outside the SS) you'd expect people to remain standing. 

Home - I think we need to consider the South Stand and the two south most blocks in the East to be standing. If you don't want to stand for the full game it should be common sense not to buy a ticket in these areas.

Away - It's generally accepted to be all standing in the away area. I suppose leaving the front few rows or a small section to one side for those who want to sit wouldn't be too troublesome.

Wembley - You'll almost always have the problem of having a real mix of standers/sitters singers/non-singers. Having 2 or 3 songs which are easy to pick up with no offensive language is all we can do to get the whole set of fans going. (the same but to a lesser extent applies to home games too).

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I hate the 'big club' argument but I have been doing some thinking in regard to the 'better fan' argument since cooling down after Monday. And I've decided that, yes, there are some that are 'better fans' than others. Thinking back to the passion that pockets of us were showing, trying to cheer our team on with 20 minutes to go in the biggest game of the season but getting absolutely nothing back suggests that some people do care more about the club than others.

I know that will likely annoy a few people but I was genuinely astounded by the lack of passion shown on Monday. I felt like we had let the club down.

Jeez you don’t catch on fast mate shouting and being loud does not make anybody a better fan or mean they care more about the club than the loud ,,, it’s just people have different personalities , you say you never went to the baseball ground ,,I did from the age of 5 and over the years was very much part of making that ground the legendary cauldron it was but for many years I used to get a lift to and from games from stapenhill with three old boys who sat in the ley stand and used to laugh at me going off to the pop side and ossie end , they were not loud singers but I never once doubted they loved Derby county and their passion for the club ,

so ok you want to be really silly and play the better fans than others game because you had a few sherbet s and made a noise ,,, you’ve been a Derby fan 5 minutes in terms of fans in that ground who followed the club all their lives  , being a better Derby fan is turning up and being amongst and respecting all our brotherhood of fans of all shapes ,sizes, types, ,,how many of those loud drunks you foolishly class as better fans only turn up for big games ? Nope you don’t know but as long as they fit your view of what a better fan is the so be it ,

gonna leave it at that because as much as I thought you had half a brain you just keep making posts ,comments and judgments that show perhaps you haven’t really

Archived