Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the formation was a good one but start the game with Waghorn and Marriott and it’s a different contest.

First half we lacked width especially on Coles side but we didn’t have a striker making runs through the middle.

I hope Lampard stays and the fact with so many leaving means he can create his team. That prospect excites me so I hope we don’t have a few weeks of rumours and Frank can start planning immediately.

1 hour ago, Igorlegend11 said:

I will bet you £100 he won't be a first choice for any championship team next season.

I can also bet £10 he won't play more than ten games for a championship team next season.

He's not played at championship level other than for us. He's been available on loan for five years.

And yes, he made a mistake that cost us a goal today 

He also made a mistake that almost cost us a goal.

In a game where we had most possession his poor play cost us 

Glad I won't see him play again for us

Yes he has.....

59 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Thoughts of todays game and beyond

Now i have calmed down and taken stock i think the best team won in the end to be fair.

Once i saw the team selection my heart sank as perhaps a lot of people did on this forum,one think FL said prior to the game was have no regrets and i think it may be himself that may be having them tonight

Injured or not match fit aside leaving our two main strikers on the bench was criminal,if someone had told me in August that we would get to a play off final and we would have Mason Bennett as our centre forward i would of laughed my head off.

Been a magical season though and now its drawn to a close i do think that will be FL last match in charge of Derby County im sorry to say even the bookmakers have stopped taking any more bets.On the flip side i think he will help us next season in terms of loan players coming

Only 10 weeks to go before the next season starts and these next weeks are going to possibly be the biggest ones we have ever had in terms of recruitment and money available if any at all.

This could be just to much for Mel Morris to take lets hope not but i do live in fear.

UP THE RAMS

Genuine question 

all this talk about frank to Chelsea from the media and bookies which I realise carry’s some weight but is he really good enough for where hey want to be ?

do u think everyone is jumping the gun a bit ? 

Sat in a bar with very little to do in London - my flight leaves tomorrow evening. 

Don’t want to pick apart the game. Just wanted to say despite spending beyond my means to fly over, I wouldn’t have missed this opportunity for the world. I’d have been gutted if we’d won and I wasn’t there. It’s been an amazing season, and the lads out there deserved my support for what they’ve given us all (me via Rams TV). Just glad I got to see one game of this team live. 

Roll on next season. COYR!

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Home. Not read the match thread let alone the forum. Will maybe take a look over the coming days. Too gutted right now. 

We gave it a go. I felt the ball didn't quite run for us when we needed it and fell beautifully for them. Football is such fine margins. I was confident if we got to half-time at 0-0 we'd win. We started poorly but grew into the game and were the better side by the time of the first goal. It looked as though a different ref might have given us a couple of free kicks around their box in the buildup, but he didn't allowing the Villa breakaway and goal. 

For their second, I've only seen it once live from high up at Wembley but it looked a weird flight to the ball (deflection?) meaning it died on Roos and McGinn got there. 

Then we came to life. Where had this team been? Villa who were never especially good (that's the terrible frustration of the day) looked out on their feet and there for the raking. We finally charged. A shot a fraction wide. Jack belts it into the back of the net. But no clearcut chance after. One especially brilliant move but not the quality on the final ball to carve out the opportunity it deserved. 

We'd have brought Waggy on with Marriott but had to wait to see if Mount was fit after his knocks. It's the tiny details like this which went against us. 

My third playoff final (I missed Leicester). It seems the norm that on the final whistle the losing fans disappear from the stadium. Not today. Proud of the fans, players and staff all sharing the moment and disappointment together. 

I hate this. Another slog of 46 games to get out of this god forsaken league next season. Without Mount, Tomori and Wilson. One game makes a massive difference. If Mel Morris is reading the forum I can't begin to think how he must be feeling. What a guy! 

See y'all next season. 

Agree, for me the frustrating thing was that Villa were not that great today ?

3 hours ago, Ramarena said:

To fair to @KCG hes been around and posting some reasonable views, I particularly agree with the ones on our midfield. I didn’t agree with the stance on Keogh but other than that I haven’t seen anything that has been out of line so to speak!

Thanks for your support. I like to be balanced in my opinion... what I've said today is that Frank got it wrong with the selection because he showed too much respect to Villa. I said before the game we needed to earn the right to play football; we didn't until it was way too late.

Villa are OK, but they really aren't special, as our football at the end showed.

As for "86 points", the guy's an idiot. I recognised this awhile back and put him on ignore. He admits that for the prediction league he has never once predicted a loss, or a draw for Derby. To say he watches through rose-coloured specs is very much an under statement.

I predicted a win today as I thought we would line up as we did towards the end against Leeds, but as soon as I saw the starting line-up my optimism went rock bottom.

Just got home.

this won't be popular but frank has pished me off today with that team selection. Yet again didn't have the courage to play marriott.

Bennett and huddz did ok but that set up is too safe. Marriott changed the game v Leeds and changed it again when he came on today. we were undoubtedly the best team for the last 20 minutes. Villa weren't great. Grealish was given free reign but didn't really do much. It was there to be won. But frank didn't have the courage to go for it from the start or to make the change at half time.

Marriott has scored v norwich, sheff utd, man utd, chelsea, west brom, and two v leeds. But still he's on the bench. 

Ok. It doesn't alter the achievements and the many highlights, but i felt we didn't really do ourselves justice today because we set up too safe. We were fantastic when we went for it, but it was too late.

aaaaagghh.

At least this game shows us that Marriott and Waggy will be huge players for us next season, absolutely vital that Frank and Jack resolve whatever is preventing Jack from starting regularly, because he's a talented player. Those two strikers give us as much firepower as anyone in this league.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Just got home.

this won't be popular but frank has pished me off today with that team selection. Yet again didn't have the courage to play marriott.

Bennett and huddz did ok but that set up is too safe. Marriott changed the game v Leeds and changed it again when he came on today. we were undoubtedly the best team for the last 20 minutes. Villa weren't great. Grealish was given free reign but didn't really do much. It was there to be won. But frank didn't have the courage to go for it from the start or to make the change at half time.

Marriott has scored v norwich, sheff utd, man utd, chelsea, west brom, and two v leeds. But still he's on the bench. 

Ok. It doesn't alter the achievements and the many highlights, but i felt we didn't really do ourselves justice today because we set up too safe. We were fantastic when we went for it, but it was too late.

aaaaagghh.

Agree totally ?

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Just got home.

aaaaagghh.

I feel your pain brother 

I think that’s the thing that leaves a bit of a sour taste, we seemed to show them too much respect and not put enough emphasis on us playing their game 

we’ll never know, maybe we would have got torn apart but it’s that big what if 

arghhhhhhhh!!!

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Just got home.

this won't be popular but frank has pished me off today with that team selection. Yet again didn't have the courage to play marriott…

As I said on another thread, if Nugent had been fit we probably wouldn't have seen Marriott! 

Frank played it too safe and too predictable. Wasted the talents of Mount and Wilson too imo.

3 hours ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Rewatch the game. Tomori was immense today 

I've seen some immense central defenders over the years (MacFarland, Todd, Stimac, McGrath) and the two we have at the moment don't come close to them. Tomori is very talented, but makes elementary mistakes and does not dominate in the air. I hope he proves me wrong, but, as I say, I see him as a better midfield prospect, or maybe as a full-back.

30 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Yes he has.....

Happy to be corrected. He did indeed play four games for Rotherham and was not required after that by them or ant other championship team.

Point being the football world has not determined him to be a championshioevek player.  Needs must and we had to play him as our No1 

I remember reading Rotherham fans disparaging remarks in him years ago.

He left Rotherham, adnitedky aong tine ago.

Anyway, he's leaving us so not our issue going forwards.

A fast swerving hard shot I could understand.  He spilled one bear end at Leeds.  But it was hit hard.

To miss ball whilst ensuring he didn't get hurt is appalling and really poor keeping 

Beaten by a better team today. Margins are small. Selection might have made a minor difference but bottom line they were 2/3% better in key areas. Good luck Villa. We the bridesmaids go again. An interesting summer beckons. 

Lets have lots of youth and light up the division. Frank and Jodie know players and know the modern game. 

After the Leeds game I know we have spirit in bucket loads. This really was a free hit. Very sad, for everyone but somehow not destroyed as after the QPR game.

it would have been magical to win but hey ho .. Footy on Saturday continues, looking forward to seeing some of our U23’s and U18’s making the squad 

We are Derby 

I’ve had a few since I got home and I’m feeling quite emotional because my dear old dad was still here for the last play off final. Today I got to take my lad to Wembley for the first time and we both had a great day out, but both shed a few tears.

I got to meet B4 on the way down - a lovely bloke, as is his dad.

Team selection concerned me with apparently 2 holding mids, but Brad was playing more on the left and our formation seemed to do a good job of nullifying Grealish - he didn’t do much.

I understand why Frank stuck with Bennett and Lawrence but would have been very tempted to start with Waggy and Marriott .  We looked much more dangerous when they came on, maybe partly as Villa were always going to sit back by then.

Such a shame Duane was injured - FloJo has done very little this season so not a great option to bring on.

Have to say over the games against them, Villa deserve the win. Just hope we can keep Frank and Jodie and build again next season. I’ve loved this year.  COYR

2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

IMO Roos is definitely Championship standard BUT he made a mistake. Unfortunately this happens sometimes. 

A keeper his size has to dominate the box more often than not.  The second goal was his fault entirely, he was too passive waiting for it to fall into his arms instead of punching it clear.  i like Roos, i think he has potential but this he has to improve.

16 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Double whammy for me this, obviously the loss but also I’ll have to go back to work tomorrow as they’ve turned the internet back on in Nottingham 

I've already blocked 4 forest fans ringing me straight after the whistle the bloody Bamfords

Archived