Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

Got back last night but to disappointed to log on - just felt like a massive missed opportunity ?

Aston Villa looked bigger and stronger than us and kept their shape well, we were to slow to move the ball and only looked capable of turning it around when we bought Waghorn and Marriott on, we have more energy when we're going for it and for to long yesterday it felt like we were hoping not to concede rather than trying to win.

Good season overall but with a bit more belief we could have won yesterday.  It will be an interesting summer now...

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to villa for the winning result but it’s such a shame that ultimately the winning goal was such a poor one

we knew starting Huddlestone was a problem as well having Johnson playing but our first choice central midfielder Bryson was missing and so was his replacement Holmes not to mention waghorn and Marriott were not considered fit enough to start  

It was of no consequence to the outcome but I was surprised that, when Lampard was about to make the tactical change that Huddlestone and most of the players went over to talk to the coaches whereas Keogh stayed near to our penno area. As I say, it made no difference (and Keogh played well enough on the day). I was just a bit surprised that Keogh wasn't the one talking to the coaches is all.

Roos - he done ok but yesterday he made a really basic mistake 

bogle - he was really good attacking and at 18 fantastic but he could have stopped the winger getting a header on the first and had a great opportunity to cut the ball back to 2 rams players when he shot into the side netting

Keogh - I thought he was excellent

Tomori- did his best

Cole - kept it as sensible as he could 

johnson - did decent I though 

Huddlestone some great balls out to bogle but we slow down so much with him

mount - lively 

Wilson - couldn’t really get into the game and a bit to much falling down 

Bennett- battled excellently 

lawrence - disappointing for me as he never got on the ball much or took anyone on 

subs Waghorn- changed the dynamic of the game as we pushed on

marriott - as waghorn

jo flo - showed what Lawrence didn’t do when he was on the wing 

Roos is the new Keogh then?

Just watched the highlights back.

wow our two goals conceded were poor.

a couple of cases of wrong final ball or just letting villa get a touch in during a promising build up.... Sigh.....my overall impression at the match was we just weren't pulling out the big performance we needed to, we were OK when we needed to exceptional.

Whatever happens next, I think we'll still be decent. And if Lampard goes, at least the FL's Derby County thing will go.

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Roos - he done ok but yesterday he made a really basic mistake 

bogle - he was really good attacking and at 18 fantastic but he could have stopped the winger getting a header on the first and had a great opportunity to cut the ball back to 2 rams players when he shot into the side netting

Keogh - I thought he was excellent

Tomori- did his best

Cole - kept it as sensible as he could 

johnson - did decent I though 

Huddlestone some great balls out to bogle but we slow down so much with him

mount - lively 

Wilson - couldn’t really get into the game and a bit to much falling down 

Bennett- battled excellently 

lawrence - disappointing for me as he never got on the ball much or took anyone on 

subs Waghorn- changed the dynamic of the game as we pushed on

marriott - as waghorn

jo flo - showed what Lawrence didn’t do when he was on the wing 

We needed something really special from Mount / Wilson / Lawrence with Huddlestone and Johnson in the side. We didn't get it. They didn't 'show' enough when the back 5 plus the 2 x DMs had the ball either.

Their first was poor. Tomori was pulled out of the centre, Cole dropped across but not into a useful position. Keogh was wrestling with his (Tomori's? man). Bogle ball watched and lost his man. His reaction was too late to prevent the ball hitting his man on the back of his neck and going past Roos.

Their second was worse with the ball flirting up and Roos making a major error in not catching it above his head / clearing out their boy.

That said, the had a few chances that could have cost us with half-decent finishing.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

You need to take him under your wing Ramit. A few weeks heaving seals onto the trawlers should bulk him up nicely. ?

Alas, my sailor days are long since over, but i could teach him a thing or two about attitude and presence.

Actually i´ve been giving the Roos situation a bit more thought since last night.  A specially made football thrice the normal weight daily chucked at him to grab in the box would buff up those arms quick enough and running back and forth in waist high water would strengthen his lower sections.

19 hours ago, R@M said:

Not asking for you to be banned at all, and sorry I did not realise you were joking. I would however like any mention of them consigned to history and talk of them banned.

(chat for another time......I had 4 ‘instances’ myself in Derby, (numerous others for friends) all caused by DLF members.)

What happened?

37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Congratulations to villa for the winning result but it’s such a shame that ultimately the winning goal was such a poor one

we knew starting Huddlestone was a problem as well having Johnson playing but our first choice central midfielder Bryson was missing and so was his replacement Holmes not to mention waghorn and Marriott were not considered fit enough to start  

I wouldn't have played Bryson even if he was fit.....

La few saying Wilson/Mount/Lawrence were poor, but in fairness Villa were excellent in breaking up our play in that midfield area. Not even with tackles per se but putting pressure on our players and squeezing the space around them.

It’s similar to how we kept Grealish and Abraham quiet too. In all honesty a Josefzoon starting could have been a potential master stroke (in an outlet who would stay wide and not be picked up like Wilson and Mount), but that’s all a bit hindsighty rubbish and we don’t really know.

We did what we did, nearly came off but didn’t.

Also let’s not scapegoat players for errors made, let’s learn from what happened after QPR. Let’s stay a collective unit and support our own a bit. Similar to the fan baiting, take lessons in how to improve the experience (maybe the point needs making that it’s about the club you support, not just a boozy day with mates or day out with your family...we should all be as one)

I liked how our 2 kids didn't even have a picture on the team lineups, where they had Lansbury up there who has cost them a small fortune in wages.

We've got so many great kids coming through. We'll see more of them next season in the Championship.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I wouldn't have played Bryson even if he was fit.....

Yet lampard one of the best midfielders in recent times has started him whenever he has been fit over all the other options available 

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I liked how our 2 kids didn't even have a picture on the team lineups, where they had Lansbury up there who has cost them a small fortune in wages.

We've got so many great kids coming through. We'll see more of them next season in the Championship.

I’m not a rumour merchant and this is defo not 100% fact but I have heard a number of contracts have been handed out to the u23’s and they will be expecting quite a few to be in and around the first team next season. Whether that’s just a bit of talk or not I have no idea

The goals we conceded were poor but we didn't do ourselves any favours first half in an attacking sense.  I have no complaints with the starting line up. Villa put us under pressure from the start and we did well to largely nullify Grealish and Abraham. By the half hour we were getting on the ball and started moving it around but always seemingly fell short at the final pass.

Waghorn would have been on sooner but clearly we had to see how Mount was. I also feel we may have been torn to shreds had we gone with that approach from the start. Had Bogle pulled the ball back instead of shooting that may have got us back into the game sooner and more time to pile on the pressure. Sadly, straight after we scored the game stopped for the Mings injury and all momentum faded. When we needed things to go our way, they didn't.  They did for them, a goal off a shoulder and keeper error. In that last 15-20 mins we easily played the best football of the day, one of our passing moves was excellent.

It was a tight game and I never felt we were out of it. For an inexperienced manager and a largely inexperienced team, gave it our best.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I think Hudds started as a mature, calm head for the younger guys. He aint quick but he's the best passer, as shown a few times yesterday. Johnson played well.

Bryson first choice CM? Nah.

Before there first goal we were starting to get into the game and at one point it appeared as though Villa didn’t want the ball. They then scored and I felt it knocked us. They then got the second and that floored us. We then started playing and in my opinion Villa couldn’t cope with us. When we had a more attacking threat Villa really struggled. If we had started like that we would of dispatched them easily. We gave them too much respect in the first half and I think Frank still had the 4 - 0 mauling from Villa Park in his mind. He was hoping to catch Villa on the break but it didn’t quite work.   People keep raving about Grealish and I don’t get it. He did nothing yesterday and was nullified quite easily. Let’s face it they finished fifth two points ahead of Derby. I don’t rate him at all. Apparently he is the future, according to the media, but after listening to them before the match Derby may as well just not turned up yesterday. They all had it down as a Villa win.

Sucker punched as I was getting into a taxi, 2 set upon me on a petrol station. 

A group of about 10 attacked 3 of us cause one of them thought my mate 'looked at them funny'. Luckily we knew the bouncers and people nearby got involved. 

Then , by far the worst, a mate was jumped in a car park by at least 3 and was left unconscious with a cracked cheek. He had never even said an angry word to anyone in the 10 years I knew him. 

There are more, that disgusting fat one drunk and swearing offering fights in Derby on a sat afternoon with loads of kids around. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Yet lampard one of the best midfielders in recent times has started him whenever he has been fit over all the other options available 

Frank is new to managing.  Can't expect him to get everything right straight away, unlike us armchair maestros ?

Archived