Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided to wash the car and water the garden to give me time to compose myself and offer my thoughts. Two key points for me. I think on this one Frank got the selection and formation wrong. Should have started with the diamond with Bradders holding and Waggers and Marriott up top. Look at the carnage they caused in the last 20 minutes. Up until then we had created next to nothing. Secondly I think Villa were very average today. I was expecting Grealish to pull all the strings but he did very little. I was actually beginning to relax when their first goal went in. That was a little fortunate coming off his back/shoulder but so disappointing to concede the second in the manner we did. Can't legislate for that. Not sure what the future holds for us now. I still think we have the nucleus of a decent side with Keogh, Bogle, Malone, Johnson, Holmes, Lawrence, Waghorn and Marriott...interesting summer ahead...….

6 minutes ago, Simon Bradley said:

No Johnson Bryson Nugent Wilson mount tomori  Cole maybe no roos that's 6 of our team today who replaces them 

Just thought that myself. Big summer coming up. I presume some youth will step up? What does the future hold for Martin & Thorne? 

5 minutes ago, Simon Bradley said:

No Johnson Bryson Nugent Wilson mount tomori  Cole maybe no roos that's 6 of our team today who replaces them 

I imagine we may be forced to sell Bogle as well. Tomori, Mount and Wilson will go back to their parent clubs. Cole will probably retire. I think Johnson and Roos are out of contract at the end of the season? Huddlestone got a year extension. 

We've got two great strikers still and I would build our new team around them. (unless Frank wants to get rid of Marriott as well) We've already been making moves in the transfer market for next year, but we also have some of the best youth players in the country at the moment. Can't see why we would want to take Prem players when we can just look at our own u23s and u18s instead.

Villa fan here (i come in peace).

Just wanted to say well played and although i obviously wanted my team to win, commiserations to you all.

Myself and nearly all Villa fans i know said that if we were to lose to anyone in the playoff final we would prefer Derby as they are a team who like to play real football and dont play dirty all the time (dirty Leeds and WBA).

All i can say is we lost last year and know how you are feeling now, and if you guys keep developing you might get your chance next year, you have a wonderful, young & exciting team, and i have no doubt if you can keep the core together and add a few players you will be a force again next season.

Well played, keep your chins up (i know your pain), and good luck for next season.

13 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I imagine we may be forced to sell Bogle as well. Tomori, Mount and Wilson will go back to their parent clubs. Cole will probably retire. I think Johnson and Roos are out of contract at the end of the season? Huddlestone got a year extension. 

We've got two great strikers still and I would build our new team around them. (unless Frank wants to get rid of Marriott as well) We've already been making moves in the transfer market for next year, but we also have some of the best youth players in the country at the moment. Can't see why we would want to take Prem players when we can just look at our own u23s and u18s instead.

I can see alot of u23s coming through I got radio Derby on they are making out as is Frank already gone I hope not 

44 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Agreed, and I'm pretty sure Frank knows he was taking a risk with Roos which sadly cost us today.  More than held our own today and really deserved a draw over the 97mins 

What? How was selecting Roos a risk? If he'd have picked Carson the fans would have been  bemused.

SO next year we'll be without Tomori, Mount, King and Wilson.

Roos, Johnson, Nugent, Bryson, Ambrose, Cole and Olsson are out of contract. I'm not sure I would want to keep any of them.

THis means we'll need:

New keeper

New central defender (maybe 2), new right back (can't see Forsyth coming back)

At LEAST 3 midfielders ( to replace Bryson, Mount, Wilson, Johnson)

1 more striker

I'm so glad we DIDNT get promoted - We have a major, major rebuilding to do. I think next year will be worse than this year because of this.

Now - am I being too pessimistic or just realistic?

I'm only trying to point out the facts and I've just spent the afternoon with 30 or so Villa fans in the pub and I'm feeling fragile after listening to their garbage about how poor we are and laughing about Lampard and the boys. Villa have just gone into my top 5 of hated teams. I would really love it if Terry goes to Chelsea and Villa beat our 11 points. Hate them.

General consensus not just on here but everywhere, you start your snipers.... we lost that game in attack today. What’s even more crushing is that Villa wasn’t anything special.

We go again. 

43 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

To fair to @KCG hes been around and posting some reasonable views, I particularly agree with the ones on our midfield. I didn’t agree with the stance on Keogh but other than that I haven’t seen anything that has been out of line so to speak!

Fair one. In pissy mode. 

5 minutes ago, Reverend said:

SO next year we'll be without Tomori, Mount, King and Wilson.

Roos, Johnson, Nugent, Bryson, Ambrose, Cole and Olsson are out of contract. I'm not sure I would want to keep any of them.

THis means we'll need:

New keeper

New central defender (maybe 2), new right back (can't see Forsyth coming back)

At LEAST 3 midfielders ( to replace Bryson, Mount, Wilson, Johnson)

1 more striker

I'm so glad we DIDNT get promoted - We have a major, major rebuilding to do. I think next year will be worse than this year because of this.

Now - am I being too pessimistic or just realistic?

I'm only trying to point out the facts and I've just spent the afternoon with 30 or so Villa fans in the pub and I'm feeling fragile after listening to their garbage about how poor we are and laughing about Lampard and the boys. Villa have just gone into my top 5 of hated teams. I would really love it if Terry goes to Chelsea and Villa beat our 11 points. Hate them.

Yeah, King's loss will be a huge blow. 

I've just walked back through Wembley to get the train to clapham Junction in amongst the villa fans. They've been reasonable, grateful for the win but not triumphalist. They know they've been in a game. 

I could see the plan but sadly it needed more from Hudds I thought to be successful. 

I thought waghorn didn't look fully fit when he came on. Kept pulling up behind their defence. Jack is good but let's not kid ourselves- villa dropped very deep and that suited our aggressive running game. First half we didn't seem to be able to move the ball away from the press quickly enough.

We gave it a good go so can't be too fed up. Frank will hopefully be able to move a few on and bring a couple in plus promote some youth. 

Ashley Cole I thought showed great experience in defence. Sadly for roos he looked to make poor decisions for both goals. Maybe theres something in the keeper rumours.

See you all next season lads ??

Just now, Simon Bradley said:

Frankie spoke he is staying 

Not sure why everyone’s been bed wetting about him leaving!

Yes Chelsea “could” come in for him, but it’s unlikely, he’s had a good first season but he’s not ready for that challenge yet. I’m sure he will be in a couple of years though!

Just now, LittleEatonRam said:

Yeah, King's loss will be a huge blow. 

There is a whole side I mentioned there. Why pick on King? You think Mount, Wilson and Tomori won't be a loss? 

You want to keep Johnson, Roos, Bryson, Nugent...…..? Olsson and Ambrose never played so will be released.

These players will need replacing and we'll need better players if we are serious about promotion.

Its time to be serious instead of nit picking.  Where is the money coming from? I don't think Mel is waving a blank chequebook anymore.

Archived