Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Shang said:

Whatever happens next season we need to sort out our vulnerability to crosses. Absolutely shocking how much we concede from the wide passes being whipped in.

Surely one of the ways to help this is not to deal with the crosses, but to stop them coming in in the first place, the full backs job!

Apparently villas previous owner banked 30 million from their win yesterday. That must be a kick in the teeth before they even start to consider spending the 170m. Villa were fortunate yesterday, after watching the game back I think we handed it to them on a plate. We must of wasted about 10 minutes passing it around at the back. The most dissapointing part was villa were there for the taking and we showed them too much respect from the off. 

10 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Apparently villas previous owner banked 30 million from their win yesterday. That must be a kick in the teeth before they even start to consider spending the 170m. Villa were fortunate yesterday, after watching the game back I think we handed it to them on a plate. We must of wasted about 10 minutes passing it around at the back. The most dissapointing part was villa were there for the taking and we showed them too much respect from the off. 

Dr Xia also appears to have sanctioned some pretty awful contracts for the likes of McCormack and Lansbury. Both getting huge pay rises because of promotion for basically doing nothing for 2 years. McCormack is going to be on £70,000 per week!!!!!! Good luck getting rid of him.

•  
2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m not a rumour merchant and this is defo not 100% fact but I have heard a number of contracts have been handed out to the u23’s and they will be expecting quite a few to be in and around the first team next season. Whether that’s just a bit of talk or not I have no idea

We typically wait until the season's finished before dealing with contracts for the youth squads. If this season is anything to go by, then I would 100% expect to see more youth integrated into the squad next year.

This season we've used the following youth players:

• Bogle - 50 apps (+2 unused sub)
  • Bennett - 38 apps (+2 unused sub)
  • Bird - 8 apps (+9 unused sub)
  • Lowe - 5 apps (+4 unused sub)
  • Mitchell-Lawson - 1 app (+2 unused sub)

We've also used a number of youth on the bench who haven't played:

• MacDonald - 9
  • Ravas - 5
  • Knight - 2
  • Thomas - 1
  • Buchanan - 1
  • Tyree Wilson - 1

So from this season alone, we've gained 1 first team starter, 1 squad player and 2/3 on the verge. Add Sibley and McAllsiter to the list of players above for the ones most likely to play a part next season - the situation looks promising to me.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:
  •  

We typically wait until the season's finished before dealing with contracts for the youth squads. If this season is anything to go by, then I would 100% expect to see more youth integrated into the squad next year.

This season we've used the following youth players:

• Bogle - 50 apps (+2 unused sub)
  • Bennett - 38 apps (+2 unused sub)
  • Bird - 8 apps (+9 unused sub)
  • Lowe - 5 apps (+4 unused sub)
  • Mitchell-Lawson - 1 app (+2 unused sub)

We've also used a number of youth on the bench who haven't played:

• MacDonald - 9
  • Ravas - 5
  • Knight - 2
  • Thomas - 1
  • Buchanan - 1
  • Tyree Wilson - 1

So from this season alone, we've gained 1 first team starter, 1 squad player and 2/3 on the verge. Add Sibley and McAllsiter to the list of players above for the ones most likely to play a part next season - the situation looks promising to me.

All those names will be heavily involved in pre-season at least, you'd have to imagine. Along with probbaly Morgan Whittaker and one or two of the CBs, and Elsnik if he's still a Derby player.

You never really know who's going to come through the summer but its a great time to look at them all. Especially when, you'd imagine, our first team squad will be light at the start of pre-season.

35 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

All those names will be heavily involved in pre-season at least, you'd have to imagine. Along with probbaly Morgan Whittaker and one or two of the CBs, and Elsnik if he's still a Derby player.

You never really know who's going to come through the summer but its a great time to look at them all. Especially when, you'd imagine, our first team squad will be light at the start of pre-season.

I didn’t include Whittaker as he hasn’t played much for the U23s yet. Although, Bogle had only played 2 more games at that level before making the permanent step up to the first team, so it shouldn’t be ruled out. 

Having watched us home and away vs Villa this season I didn’t really expect much yesterday as they put classed us both times, but really is disappointing today because they were there for the taking! We kept Grealish quiet all game! Ultimately crosses cost all season but finished us off yesterday! 

The Real Killer Was The Steps.

A bit late - we got stuck in the M1 closure, and as an HGV driver I had an early start this morning, but here we go:

We parked up near Wembly Stadium and then tubed to Covent Garden, landing at about 10.00 am. It was already Rammed and we had a great time. More and more people were piling in to the area all the time, and we were visited by Frank Lampard - well, a lifesize cardboard cut-out, anyway, help up above head height on a stick. HE got us chanting, and started the bounce on a numb er of occasions! It was actually really silly, and hilarious. HArry Styles turnep up on top of a telephone box wearing a white loincloth, well for most of the time anyway. I have no idea why, but Villa fans in their ones and twos trying to force their way through the mass of "YAm Yam" singing Rams fans. I don't know where their chosen location was, but it wasn't Covent Garden. They did get out alive, though! AS did a couple of Chinese tourists carrying an enormous video camera, obviously trying to film a bit of traditional London culture. All they got was a load of alcohol- influenced Rams fans giving it large!

Oh, and those steps - when we got to Covent Garden station there was a large queue for the lift, and not working out why, we elected for the stairs. We didn't see the first sign until there was a large crowd of people behind us. It said "There are 193 steps, the equivalent of a 15 story building. Make sure you are fit enough to climb to the top before embarking"! Woops!

In the stadium, I was taken by just how awe-inspiring the view of all those fans in their seats was. I had been there to see Muse, but it is a totally different view altogether when you are there for the footy. However, it does then make the pitch seem rather small, almost insignificant. Also, the view is not that inspiring either. We were quite low down (Row 7), which you have to be to be near enough to identify the players, but you don't get to appreciate the matchplay from down there. Higher up means being miles away from the action. Ho hum. But boy is it loud in there, with the Villa fans sounding like their singing was being played through the stadium speakers.

The game started really fast, with Villa looking threatening for about 10 minutes or so before we started to get a bit of grip on play. We kept Grealish pretty quiet, with only one shot in the first half which ballooned over the bar, although I suspect Keogh got something on it. The main threat, and the first goal, was from El Havegotbookedearly. Although  going a goal behind, the first half was pretty even, and although we hadn't threatened much, neither had Villa, with only one shot each on target. However, we were far too ponderous and cautious with our play, giving the opposition time to set up in defence ready for when we finally arrived. I can understand the caution to a degree - we had been well beaten in our two league meetings, even though we were missing Mason Mount while they had Grealish pulling the strings for those two matches. So we went with two defensive midfielders. It worked, with Grealish not really achieving very much. 

Going two down effectively said "game over", although this season Derby have struggled to understand what that means. With nothing to lose (which we had from the kick-off) we ditched a DM and went two up front, and suddenly our passing was incisive and we were on the front foot. It looked better than it was because Villa were sitting back and attacking on the break, but their defence breaking was just a matter of time. Sadly we had waited too late and ran out of the commodity.

Paul Tierney didn't help, missing a clear foul on Cole in the build up to the first goal, although he was fairly even in the first half, nearly getting to the level of almost average, but came out in the second half with a mission to protect ballet dancers and circus divers. Had he been bought by Villa, or loaned in from the EFL, or simply given his orders at half-time I don't know, but yet again it left Derby reluctant to put in decent challenges. But apart from the missed foul for the first goal he had no real effect on the outcome. The defeat was entirely of our own doing because we were too cautious. It is in part understandable (see my comments in the "Poor Selection" thread, page 15), but Villa's defence is suspect when under pressure so we should have been quicker in the transitions and tried to put them on the back foot. So the changes which we made, which were all good, should have been made much sooner.

However, we shouldn't have even been there, given what had gone on during much of the season. We were out of the player-offs not long ago, but a couple of matches and the doors were suddenly wide open, and we duly sauntered through. We ought to have been happy with 10th to 12th place, but played at Wemberly and were actually pretty close to getting Premier League football for next season. I wouldn't have thought it possible before the season started, so thank you Frank and Jody for some great football, for relating so well with the fans, and for creating a massive "togetherness" between the players!

COME ON YOU RAMS!

18 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The Real Killer Was The Steps.

A bit late - we got stuck in the M1 closure, and as an HGV driver I had an early start this morning, but here we go:

We parked up near Wembly Stadium and then tubed to Covent Garden, landing at about 10.00 am. It was already Rammed and we had a great time. More and more people were piling in to the area all the time, and we were visited by Frank Lampard - well, a lifesize cardboard cut-out, anyway, help up above head height on a stick. HE got us chanting, and started the bounce on a numb er of occasions! It was actually really silly, and hilarious. HArry Styles turnep up on top of a telephone box wearing a white loincloth, well for most of the time anyway. I have no idea why, but Villa fans in their ones and twos trying to force their way through the mass of "YAm Yam" singing Rams fans. I don't know where their chosen location was, but it wasn't Covent Garden. They did get out alive, though! AS did a couple of Chinese tourists carrying an enormous video camera, obviously trying to film a bit of traditional London culture. All they got was a load of alcohol- influenced Rams fans giving it large!

Oh, and those steps - when we got to Covent Garden station there was a large queue for the lift, and not working out why, we elected for the stairs. We didn't see the first sign until there was a large crowd of people behind us. It said "There are 193 steps, the equivalent of a 15 story building. Make sure you are fit enough to climb to the top before embarking"! Woops!

In the stadium, I was taken by just how awe-inspiring the view of all those fans in their seats was. I had been there to see Muse, but it is a totally different view altogether when you are there for the footy. However, it does then make the pitch seem rather small, almost insignificant. Also, the view is not that inspiring either. We were quite low down (Row 7), which you have to be to be near enough to identify the players, but you don't get to appreciate the matchplay from down there. Higher up means being miles away from the action. Ho hum. But boy is it loud in there, with the Villa fans sounding like their singing was being played through the stadium speakers.

The game started really fast, with Villa looking threatening for about 10 minutes or so before we started to get a bit of grip on play. We kept Grealish pretty quiet, with only one shot in the first half which ballooned over the bar, although I suspect Keogh got something on it. The main threat, and the first goal, was from El Havegotbookedearly. Although  going a goal behind, the first half was pretty even, and although we hadn't threatened much, neither had Villa, with only one shot each on target. However, we were far too ponderous and cautious with our play, giving the opposition time to set up in defence ready for when we finally arrived. I can understand the caution to a degree - we had been well beaten in our two league meetings, even though we were missing Mason Mount while they had Grealish pulling the strings for those two matches. So we went with two defensive midfielders. It worked, with Grealish not really achieving very much. 

Going two down effectively said "game over", although this season Derby have struggled to understand what that means. With nothing to lose (which we had from the kick-off) we ditched a DM and went two up front, and suddenly our passing was incisive and we were on the front foot. It looked better than it was because Villa were sitting back and attacking on the break, but their defence breaking was just a matter of time. Sadly we had waited too late and ran out of the commodity.

Paul Tierney didn't help, missing a clear foul on Cole in the build up to the first goal, although he was fairly even in the first half, nearly getting to the level of almost average, but came out in the second half with a mission to protect ballet dancers and circus divers. Had he been bought by Villa, or loaned in from the EFL, or simply given his orders at half-time I don't know, but yet again it left Derby reluctant to put in decent challenges. But apart from the missed foul for the first goal he had no real effect on the outcome. The defeat was entirely of our own doing because we were too cautious. It is in part understandable (see my comments in the "Poor Selection" thread, page 15), but Villa's defence is suspect when under pressure so we should have been quicker in the transitions and tried to put them on the back foot. So the changes which we made, which were all good, should have been made much sooner.

However, we shouldn't have even been there, given what had gone on during much of the season. We were out of the player-offs not long ago, but a couple of matches and the doors were suddenly wide open, and we duly sauntered through. We ought to have been happy with 10th to 12th place, but played at Wemberly and were actually pretty close to getting Premier League football for next season. I wouldn't have thought it possible before the season started, so thank you Frank and Jody for some great football, for relating so well with the fans, and for creating a massive "togetherness" between the players!

COME ON YOU RAMS!

G8 post. I always enjoy reading your muse. 

On 28/05/2019 at 23:46, Remy the hare said:

G8 post. I always enjoy reading your muse. 

Just back in Malaga having spent the week in Majorca,watched the match in Arenal beach side in a bar called Double Dutch,was sat down when an attractive young lady appeared out of the ladies wash room clad in a Derby County Wembley T shirt,and denim shorts,her and her husband were enthusiastic fans,shouting and cheering,she told me her father was at the match,so if anyone knows that couple holidaying in Majorca,and you see them say a thankyou from Malagaram for their company,and we made a pact to see each other at Wembley next year.

5 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Just back in Malaga having spent the week in Majorca,watched the match in Arenal beach side in a bar called Double Dutch,was sat down when an attractive young lady appeared out of the ladies wash room clad in a Derby County Wembley T shirt,and denim shorts,her and her husband were enthusiastic fans,shouting and cheering,she told me her father was at the match,so if anyone knows that couple holidaying in Majorca,and you see them say a thankyou from Malagaram for their company,and we made a pact to see each other at Wembley next year.

Hopefully she'll have dumped her hubby by then

The celebrations against Leeds and  afterwards were excessive. It was if we had already won our cup final. The Kings Head in Duffield scenes were embarrassing. Absolutely nothing had been achieved and yet they were behaving as if they had won the champions league - and were being encouraged to do so.

So mentally our approach to the final was all wrong in my opinion.

It was as if we had scaled our Mount Everest already and we were being asked to go one better.

As a result, the hunger and desire was what not it might have been

And the team selection put the team and the fans on the back foot before a ball had been kicked - it was clear that we were not ‘going for it’ but rather that we were hoping to pick up the pieces later in the game. 

For me, this is why monday was such a huge disappointment. 

12 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

The celebrations against Leeds and  afterwards were excessive. It was if we had already won our cup final. The Kings Head in Duffield scenes were embarrassing. Absolutely nothing had been achieved and yet they were behaving as if they had won the champions league - and were being encouraged to do so.

So mentally our approach to the final was all wrong in my opinion.

It was as if we had scaled our Mount Everest already and we were being asked to go one better.

As a result, the hunger and desire was what not it might have been

And the team selection put the team and the fans on the back foot before a ball had been kicked - it was clear that we were not ‘going for it’ but rather that we were hoping to pick up the pieces later in the game. 

For me, this is why monday was such a huge disappointment. 

Never mind, no point crying over spilt milk. There's always next season. Coyr

On 28/05/2019 at 11:23, Burton_Ram said:

Surely one of the ways to help this is not to deal with the crosses, but to stop them coming in in the first place, the full backs job!

The answer is to defend better full stop. Backs can't stop crosses from freekicks or corners and we have been vulnerable to them.

Hello, not here to take the mick.

I've seen Derby fans say there was no difference between the teams. 100% true. Very equally matched final, we just had the luck.

I don't want to come across as somebody who is patronising, or here to wind you up. I'm not even here to boast. Losing the final last year broke my heart and I really didn't like seeing players like Bogle in tears - and btw, what a talent. Had no idea he was 18 till the other day.

Anyway. I hope you smash the league next season ?. And please also smash Leeds ?

Archived