Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what to say really apart from that I'm gutted. As soon as the team sheet was posted I felt uneasy like he was playing too safe instead of just throwing our top scorers on and going right at em. Hate to say it but might be another huge opportunity missed, we were good enough to beat villa today but ran out of time.

Bugger, bugger, bugger.

Could easily have gone in 0-0. Could easily not have gifted the second one. Could easily have nicked an equaliser. 

Overall though we were too passive for my liking, especially first half. Set up to contain them. Once we went for it we caused them problems. I reckon we should have gone for it from the off.

Question marks for Frank over Roos, Huddlestone and Bennett and the safety first set-up. Nonetheless, for a rookie, he's had a remarkable season.

Please stay Frank. Please back him all you can Mel. We can do this. 2019/20 is our year!

Oh, and if you work for East Midlands trains, I hope you contract a rare and untreatable pustulating gonad wasting disease.

Lampard will rightfully get some stick for today.

Dont need to go into it because, without reading this thread, I’m sure it’s already been pointed out. The way we sacrificed our momentum today and strayed away from everything that made us dangerous this season is just mind boggling. This is in hindsight obviously, I was fully behind the lineup going into the stadium today but that defensive a line up was a big mistake.

Today hasn’t been as tough as 14 but it’s still poo. Anyone saying we didn’t expect to be here and should be happy that we simply made it needs their head checking. We were dead close to everything we’ve wanted for the last decade today and bottled it.

For all the accusations of us being bottlers in the past 5 years this was our most blatant bottle job to date. Not because I thought we were better than villa and spurned an easy chance to go up or anything. We got to the most important game of the season and abandoned the philosophy that got us there. That’s bottling it, we played scared today.

As if we got to that game and played like Gary Rowett was the manager. Gutting.

Got an interesting summer ahead and the championship looks on paper the weakest it’s been in years. Keep Lampard and we can take it. There’ll be new loanees next year and we’ve signed well in this regime, so there’s hope. There’s always new young talents to pick up and we still have the core of a decent team.

Hopeful for the future but massively upset about today.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Should Skybet even be allowed. Sky hype stories which people then bet on. They shorten the odds then the story carries more weight. Should be investigated.

Let alone the dangers of gambling where they sponsor the league and all their pundits are on adverts for Skybet deliberatly blurring the lines between news and gambling. The pundits are rich enough already. Maybe they need to be abused on social media.

Sky is nothing to do with Skybet, they’re run by a company who license the name.

Think it’s over the top to say we bottled it.     I saw the players trying to make stuff happen and be brave on the ball. We were undone by a massive individual error by Roos, and the tactics/team selection by Frank. Can understand why he picked the team he did and he would’ve been vindicated had we not conceded on stroke of half time, but it was the wrong call and we should’ve gone with what got us there ie. not playing both Johnson and Huddlestone.

Its gutting as villa were there for the taking, but on reflection it has been a great season with some huge highs. We need to keep Frank, he’s growing and learning and if we’re in a playoff final again he wouldn’t go the same way with team selection.

Bring on next season!! Looking forward to it already 

7 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I don't know what to say really apart from that I'm gutted. As soon as the team sheet was posted I felt uneasy like he was playing too safe instead of just throwing our top scorers on and going right at em. Hate to say it but might be another huge opportunity missed, we were good enough to beat villa today but ran out of time.

We did play it safe, it didn’t work and he changed it way to late. I know @AndyinLiverpool patrols the forum for these kind of post and lashes out with very knowing sarcasm and ? but I bet Smith and Terry rubbed their hands together when they seen our team sheet yesterday at 2pm. 

Agreed - we should have started with Marriott and Waghorn, with Johnson as the holding midfielder. In the first half in particular, Mings had so much time and space to start attacking moves from the back we made him look like Beckenbauer. On more than one occasion Lampard has intimated that Marriott struggles to maintain the pressurising on the opposition defence for the full 90 minutes but sharing that with Waghorn is a way out. We need his predatory instincts at the start, not just when playing catch-up but hopefully this is part of the learning process for FL.

7 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Did anyone hear the Villa Fan on Talksport who said Villa will be a top four team next season and then went on to say Mings was as good if not better than Van Dyke

All clubs have deluded fans who make stupid statements in the media.

9 hours ago, ramit said:

A valid view.  He had two choices but chose the third heh

Suspect he does not have confidence in his strength to catch it.  That can be fixed in the weight room

You need to take him under your wing Ramit. A few weeks heaving seals onto the trawlers should bulk him up nicely. ?

17 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Think it’s over the top to say we bottled it.     I saw the players trying to make stuff happen and be brave on the ball. We were undone by a massive individual error by Roos, and the tactics/team selection by Frank. Can understand why he picked the team he did and he would’ve been vindicated had we not conceded on stroke of half time, but it was the wrong call and we should’ve gone with what got us there ie. not playing both Johnson and Huddlestone.

Its gutting as villa were there for the taking, but on reflection it has been a great season with some huge highs. We need to keep Frank, he’s growing and learning and if we’re in a playoff final again he wouldn’t go the same way with team selection.

I agree. If we had tried to go all guns blazing when villa were also trying to win rather than dropping back to their box we could easily have been picked apart in central midfield. 

Frank put a plan together to try and counter a team that had put 7 past us without reply.

And we had to manage with a left back who wasn't going to provide any attacking width. We actually missed malone. 

The plan was ok. Couple of errors, 1 small (el ghazi getting ahead of bogle) and 1 howler (roos) unstitched it.

We were still playing some decent stuff even when "defensive". Bogle got down their right a couple of times but the midfield runners couldn't get to the pull backs.

It's disappointing of course. But I hope not disastrous. When is Frank sitting down with Mel?

7 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Lampard will rightfully get some stick for today.

Dont need to go into it because, without reading this thread, I’m sure it’s already been pointed out. The way we sacrificed our momentum today and strayed away from everything that made us dangerous this season is just mind boggling. This is in hindsight obviously, I was fully behind the lineup going into the stadium today but that defensive a line up was a big mistake.

Today hasn’t been as tough as 14 but it’s still poo. Anyone saying we didn’t expect to be here and should be happy that we simply made it needs their head checking. We were dead close to everything we’ve wanted for the last decade today and bottled it.

For all the accusations of us being bottlers in the past 5 years this was our most blatant bottle job to date. Not because I thought we were better than villa and spurned an easy chance to go up or anything. We got to the most important game of the season and abandoned the philosophy that got us there. That’s bottling it, we played scared today.

As if we got to that game and played like Gary Rowett was the manager. Gutting.

Got an interesting summer ahead and the championship looks on paper the weakest it’s been in years. Keep Lampard and we can take it. There’ll be new loanees next year and we’ve signed well in this regime, so there’s hope. There’s always new young talents to pick up and we still have the core of a decent team.

Hopeful for the future but massively upset about today.

Spot on LR. Frank's strategy to contain for an hour then hit them with Marriott/Waghorn was dangerous and it failed him. 

Don't mind losing as much if we do ourselves justice and give it a real go. But for too long we didn't.

Villa didn't need to get out of second gear until 65 mins, and looked what happened when we got on the front foot and got at their back 4.

Such an opportunity missed. That's what hurts most.

Back at work this morning. Can't focus on work thinking about what could've been. 

It was a strange one yesterday. I went thinking that we wouldn't win and i just wanted to enjoy the occasion, which we did for the build up. We hardly saw any villa fans on our way to the ground or even on Wembley Way so it felt like a big Derby day out.  Then went into the ground with about 45mins til kick-off and got a beer in the concourse which had a great atmosphere. But then the game started and the fans and team seemed really flat. Villa's first came at such a bad time, it felt like both our fans and team were starting to get into it, but that was then halted and we struggled to get going again.

I was so jealous of the villa fans. I was gutted when they scored but couldn't help thinking how fun it looked. Their celebrations went on for ages. It was nice when Marriott got ours, especially as it was right in front of us, but the celebrations were more like "finally! Right lets get another" rather than the pure joy that the villa fans seemed to have.

Oh well, just really hope Lamps stays so he can build on this next season. 

1 hour ago, jackhasler23 said:

Little video I made on yesterday. Any feedback appreciated if you can bare to watch the day back...

Excellent video. Totally agree with what you said. I think you might have a great future ahead of you in sports journalism. 

47 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It is over the top, but it's fair to say Frank went very cautious. Unlike you I was very disappointed when I saw the team, because you sensed what would come. And it did. What we saw on the teamsheet transpired on the pitch - looked ok defensively and midfield but absolutely no threat up front at all. Villa's defence barely broke sweat in the first half. One long range shot from Mount was it, I think (am happy to be corrected). And you're never going to win a game if you don't score.

It's one of those things. If we'd kept a clean sheet and gone on to win, Frank's a tactical genius. That's football. But we always stood more chance of winning playing the way that has won us games, and we didn't do that yesterday.

All said, it's been an enjoyable season. And no-one can ever take away the memory of Elland Road (the second visit, not the first!)

8 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

It is over the top, but it's fair to say Frank went very cautious. Unlike you I was very disappointed when I saw the team, because you sensed what would come. And it did. What we saw on the teamsheet transpired on the pitch - looked ok defensively and midfield but absolutely no threat up front at all. Villa's defence barely broke sweat in the first half. One long range shot from Mount was it, I think (am happy to be corrected). And you're never going to win a game if you don't score.

It's one of those things. If we'd kept a clean sheet and gone on to win, Frank's a tactical genius. That's football. But we always stood more chance of winning playing the way that has won us games, and we didn't do that yesterday.

All said, it's been an enjoyable season. And no-one can ever take away the memory of Elland Road (the second visit, not the first!)

No I was disappointed like you when I saw the team, but can understand why he went the way he did, I wouldn’t have been too cautious but then who’d be a manager?!

I left thinking Villa deserved it because they were the better team but on reflection, there wasn't too much difference. We lacked composure in front of goal. Simple mistakes cost us- Bogle trying to shoot when he needed to pull back for our player with a perfect chance. Roos mistake. Bogle not tracking man for first goal. Generally off with our finishing. Maybe Marriott/Waghorn would have not been able to play to the requited intensity for 90mins. The fact they came on and we scored showed the substitutions worked but the second goal really killed us. I think Roos has been really good this season, shame it was a big mistake when it mattered most.

Archived