Thanks Frank

Archied

From the minute the rumour of us employing frank as manager came out I banged on and on about how much I wanted him to be given the job,could have turned out wrong like any managerial appointment but in my opinion I have and am really enjoying this incarnation of derby county 

thanks frank ,the whole list of positives far far outweigh the odd sign of inexperience now and again 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep ,thought I was going to die of pleasure watching some of the early football Man U ,Chelsea, WBA etc .Long season and injuries plus a young side took it's toll for a while .But the Rams are back just when it matters at the business end of the season.

I’m pleased for Mel Morris for having the courage to appoint a young man who obviously interviewed well. But, as we all know, talk is cheap but Frank and his team walked the walk. 

How many experienced managers would have believed in and stuck with Mason Bennett ? Sending a message to all our young players,  get your head down and do the business and you’ll get your chance.

A breath of fresh air after his predecessor. ? 

1 minute ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’m pleased for Mel Morris for having the courage to appoint a young man who obviously interviewed well. But, as we all know, talk is cheap but Frank and his team walked the walk. 

How many experienced managers would have believed in and stuck with Mason Bennett ? Sending a message to all our young players,  get your head down and do the business and you’ll get your chance.

A breath of fresh air after his predecessor. ? 

This 100%.

Gotta say I’m all sensible mindset the appointment of such an experienced manager looked ludicrous, but as I said at the time I didn’t care cause it’s frank bloody Lampard! (Tho hindsight could have been an interesting thing...?). Personally I think across the season we’ve actually had more downs than ups, we’ve had far too many poor performances in certain spells that had me enjoying last season more than this one, certainly results wise, sorry to rain on anyone’s parade. There were times across the season if frank went I wouldn’t have been devastated as he seemed too naive.

HOWEVER, the last few weeks have seen a significant change. We’ve had consistent performances for the first time since November, and we’re now on a very good run of form going into the playoffs. Quite what changed is probably for another thread, but something really has and I just hope it isn’t temporary, we’ve been so so so much better in recent weeks, actually enjoying watching us consistently for the first time this season, and we’re actually getting some results too, let’s hope we keep it going into the playoffs. My expectations for the season were playoffs and we’ve made that so I won’t be waving my frank out banner anymore?

37 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Gotta say I’m all sensible mindset the appointment of such an experienced manager looked ludicrous, but as I said at the time I didn’t care cause it’s frank bloody Lampard! (Tho hindsight could have been an interesting thing...?). Personally I think across the season we’ve actually had more downs than ups, we’ve had far too many poor performances in certain spells that had me enjoying last season more than this one, certainly results wise, sorry to rain on anyone’s parade. There were times across the season if frank went I wouldn’t have been devastated as he seemed too naive.

HOWEVER, the last few weeks have seen a significant change. We’ve had consistent performances for the first time since November, and we’re now on a very good run of form going into the playoffs. Quite what changed is probably for another thread, but something really has and I just hope it isn’t temporary, we’ve been so so so much better in recent weeks, actually enjoying watching us consistently for the first time this season, and we’re actually getting some results too, let’s hope we keep it going into the playoffs. My expectations for the season were playoffs and we’ve made that so I won’t be waving my frank out banner anymore?

I think that looking at the season from a cold hearted position (I don't know if you can say that, but you get my drift) we probably have had more downs than ups, but at least Frank and his coaching staff have stuck by their principles. He has tried to play attractive football, which hasn't always come off. He has stuck by the young players, both our's and those on loan, when they have gone through sticky spells. He has also brought academy players into the squad even in important games, showing that if they do their part then they will be given their chance. It all bodes well for the future. If we do go up this year then brilliant. If we miss out then excellent foundations have been laid in my opinion.

Whatever happens in the playoffs, the football this season has been vastly more enjoyable than the last, and we can take the positives into the next season. It hasn't always gone as planned, but Frank clearly is trying to do things the right way, bringing through youth in Bogle, trying to reduce the age of the squad and getting us back to playing proper football after Rowett.

Best appointment we've made for a while.

17 hours ago, Archied said:

From the minute the rumour of us employing frank as manager came out I banged on and on about how much I wanted him to be given the job,could have turned out wrong like any managerial appointment but in my opinion I have and am really enjoying this incarnation of derby county 

thanks frank ,the whole list of positives far far outweigh the odd sign of inexperience now and again 

Remember it well Archied and you kinda turned my doubts into positives ...have to say he’s made errors but on the whole I’ve enjoyed this season much more than last regardless of what happens in the play offs 

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I would hazard a guess that what’s changed is a settled side. We aren’t making 4 or 5 changes every game like we were early on. 

Franks learnt his best team, a balanced team that’s so so important. He needed that time to learn this.

we've had injuries throughout, Bennett when looking good, Mount, Johnson with his ban and Marriott when he was flying.

He’s made mistakes, some odd line ups at times but after it all we are still in the play offs so hats off to him and everyone at the club for a better season than anyone expected.

Gates are up, average age is down and I bet a lot of our playing staffs values have increased. Which always has to be the remit along with promotion.

Lets hope we can finish the job and see Mount, Wilson and Tomori back here next season in the Prem

I was pleased we got Frank mainly because I really didn’t want one of the old dinosaurs that constantly do the rounds. Whatever happens I’ve really loved having him here and I think the players have too. 

Regarding whats changed lately it’s probably mostly down to the return of Mason Mount. 

Some really frustrating performances and periods throughout the season but by turning up the last few weeks we've ended it on a high. Not bad for a first year in management, could be even better still. 

23 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I think that looking at the season from a cold hearted position (I don't know if you can say that, but you get my drift) we probably have had more downs than ups, but at least Frank and his coaching staff have stuck by their principles. He has tried to play attractive football, which hasn't always come off. He has stuck by the young players, both our's and those on loan, when they have gone through sticky spells. He has also brought academy players into the squad even in important games, showing that if they do their part then they will be given their chance. It all bodes well for the future. If we do go up this year then brilliant. If we miss out then excellent foundations have been laid in my opinion.

'More downs than ups' is bit negative. When were we last lower than eighth? We had a bad run earlier this year, but most teams,even those near the top of the league, have a bad run at some point. It came good when Mason Mount was fit again and Frank returned to keeping the same team match to match, apart from injury enforced changes, and keeping an unchanged team is what he did October-December, when we also performed well.

Frank made some very brave choices for team selection and substitutes yesterday and got it right, all credit to him.

21 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I was pleased we got Frank mainly because I really didn’t want one of the old dinosaurs that constantly do the rounds. Whatever happens I’ve really loved having him here and I think the players have too. 

Regarding whats changed lately it’s probably mostly down to the return of Jono.. 

FTFY

32 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Regarding whats changed lately it’s probably mostly down to the return of Mason Mount

How many games have we lost since his return to fitness?

That and Waghorn getting a run of games in his best position

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

'More downs than ups' is bit negative. When were we last lower than eighth? We had a bad run earlier this year, but most teams,even those near the top of the league, have a bad run at some point. It came good when Mason Mount was fit again and Frank returned to keeping the same team match to match, apart from injury enforced changes, and keeping an unchanged team is what he did October-December, when we also performed well.

Frank made some very brave choices for team selection and substitutes yesterday and got it right, all credit to him.

Wasn't meant to be negative in the least. I've really enjoyed this season, and forgive the poorer performances for the circumstances surrounding them. A novice manager with a young team trying to learn a new system. I was trying to say that probably "poor" performances outnumbered "good to excellent" ones, but they were still often better than some of the better performances from last season. I defended Rowett plenty of times because I enjoy counter attacking football, it's just that he took it to extremes. I think that Frank has more or less got the balance right, even with the players at his disposal. It should be exciting when he's had a couple more windows to bring in players suited to the style he wants to play.

A rookie manager with a first class playing cv. How many have we seen be successful and how many have we seen fail. I admire Frank for taking the plunge into management. It shows his true love and desire to be at the day to day sharp end of the game. Easy to put his feet up and become a tv pundit. 

Coming from his former playing world, constantly surrounded with top class players, perfect timing, uber quick thinking it cant be easy to work with championship quality players ( most of our squad, a few exceptions). Its brave to take it on, not get totally frustrated, but to energize a team, get them playing stylish attacking football but within their capabilities and improving them as players and as a team.

I was once told by a Stoke City player that Alan Ball was a lovely guy but totally frustrated that they were all not as good as him or Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Bobby Charlton etc. 

Well done Frank on so many levels this season. Learning your new trade fast, improving your players and being humble.

5 hours ago, richinspain said:

I appreciate that you've qualified this in your previous post, but I still really disagree.

This season we've beaten Man United at Old Trafford; taken Chelsea within inches of penalties; beaten Southampton at the St Mary's; come back from 2-0 and 3-2 down to beat the champions 4-3 at Carrow Road; put in our best away performance in years to thrash West Brom at the Hawthorns; scored 10 goals in 2 home games and put together a fantastic string of results when it really mattered to get us over the line.  

If Mel was after a former superstar player who has won it all with his club domestically and abroad and with a decent international career and was wanting to cut his teeth on management, just thank goodness it was Frank he went for and not Paul Scholes.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

If Mel was after a former superstar player who has won it all with his club domestically and abroad and with a decent international career and was wanting to cut his teeth on management, just thank goodness it was Frank he went for and not Paul Scholes.

Or Thierry Henry! 

Archived