Jack Marriott

i-Ram

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Wow I’d say my 3 legged jack Russell offers more than those two, and Marriott certainly does,  but it’s a game of opinions I guess. 

Happy to listen to examples of where Marriott has changed a game after coming off the bench.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Don't be daft. Who'd spend their day off in Rhyl? 

Yet here you are ?

Thanks for letting us know the thread's of no interest to you though. Always handy  to know. 

Rhyl was  horrendous last time I went through it .  There's a little fairground that immediately made me think of the one in Father Ted .  I was looking for Spider Baby .  Maybe it's improved in the last 10 years .  Per head of population it was also once the UK murder capital.

19 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Rhyl was  horrendous last time I went through it .  There's a little fairground that immediately made me think of the one in Father Ted .  I was looking for Spider Baby .  Maybe it's improved in the last 10 years .  Per head of population it was also once the UK murder capital.

Some acquaintances of mine recently told me they were planning a long weekend there. I could have told them it's basically a town inhabited almost exclusively by OAPs and crackheads but I don't like them very much so I just let them go.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Happy to listen to examples of where Marriott has changed a game after coming off the bench.

I really don’t have any, I do have a few of when Nuge as come of the bench and missed absolute sitters or when Bennett has come of the bench and......ran about a bit. I just think he’s a better option then those two, Frank messed up. 

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

I really don’t have any, I do have a few of when Nuge as come of the bench and missed absolute sitters or when Bennett has come of the bench and......ran about a bit. I just think he’s a better option then those two, Frank messed up. 

That's a bit harsh on Bennett, scored that wonder goal last month and he offers physicality and wins headers. Marriott has been out of form since his injury, has come on or started several times and offered less threat than Bennett.  

Marriott's probably the better long term prospect but while we still have a chance of the playoffs, we have to get people on the pitch who are going to compete now.

He was really hungry to prove himself when he first got into the eleven; maybe if he gets his chance at Blackburn he will rediscover that. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's a bit harsh on Bennett, scored that wonder goal last month and he offers physicality and wins headers. Marriott has been out of form since his injury, has come on or started several times and offered less threat than Bennett.  

Marriott's probably the better long term prospect but while we still have a chance of the playoffs, we have to get people on the pitch who are going to compete now.

He was really hungry to prove himself when he first got into the eleven; maybe if he gets his chance at Blackburn he will rediscover that. 

Disagree, thought it was a bit of a fluke actually and unfortunately will cement his place in the squad for another few months. I really think Marriott coming of the bench offers far more than Bennett ever will. Again unfortunately Jack seems to only get 5-10 mins where Bennett gets a good 20, maybe that’s the reason he seems to offer more of the bench. 

In fact I’m astonished this is even a debate. These rose tinted “he’s one of our own ?“ glasses are really powerful aren’t they. 

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think Nugent gives the defenders a harder time that Marriott from off the bench.

Bennetts best performances are often off the bench.

Not sure why FL has messed up. If Marriott is not showing anything in matches and isn't doing it in training then he doesn't warrant a place on the bench.

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Disagree, thought it was a bit of a fluke actually and unfortunately will cement his place in the squad for another few months. I really think Marriott coming of the bench offers far more than Bennett ever will. Again unfortunately Jack seems to only get 5-10 mins where Bennett gets a good 20, maybe that’s the reason he seems to offer more of the bench. 

In fact I’m astonished this is even a debate. These rose tinted “he’s one of our own ?“ glasses are really powerful aren’t they. 

It's nothing to do with rose tinted glasses. I just think Bennett is offering more at the moment than Marriott is, as I said in my post. 

I don't know whether Lampard brings one on earlier than the other - is that a fact? 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Well as Bennett 90% comes on and plays on the wing, it's not a straight decision is it? You can't just bring Marriott on earlier and stick him out wide, that's completely pointless - and you don't want to change formation every time you bring him on either.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't know whether Lampard brings one on earlier than the other - is that a fact? 

In mind yes, that doesn’t mean it’s actually factual 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think Nugent gives the defenders a harder time that Marriott from off the bench

Oh dear god, he certainly puts his thumb in the air a lot more after chasing down a missed placed pass, oh and he starts the bounce...

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well as Bennett 90% comes on and plays on the wing, it's not a straight decision is it? You can't just bring Marriott on earlier and stick him out wide, that's completely pointless - and you don't want to change formation every time you bring him on either.

On Saturday he’d of gone straight down the middle, debate finished. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

On Saturday he’d of gone straight down the middle, debate finished. 

How is that debate finished? You were making an entirely different point about the legitimacy of Bennett coming off the bench week in week out, not the specifics of a substitute on Saturday. 

Debate reopened.

shook betty cooper GIF by Lili Reinhart

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

How is that debate finished? You were making an entirely different point about the legitimacy of Bennett coming off the bench week in week out, not the specifics of a substitute on Saturday. 

Debate reopened.

shook betty cooper GIF by Lili Reinhart

I also said Frank messed up Saturday and having those two options ahead of Jack was crazy. Hence your on the wing comment was pointlesa. Debate closed again 

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Oh dear god, he certainly puts his thumb in the air a lot more after chasing down a missed placed pass, oh and he starts the bounce...

And you don't want players chasing down misplaced passes? Strange. 

End of the day FL sees the players day in day out. He works on different tactics. If he thinks someone does not fit a system, or is not working hard enough to justify their place in the squad, he's a lot better placed than either of us to make that decision.

The fact that you don't think Bennett has contributed from the bench and is only being picked because 'he's one of our own' says a lot though.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And you don't want players chasing down misplaced passes? Strange. 

End of the day FL sees the players day in day out. He works on different tactics. If he thinks someone does not fit a system, or is not working hard enough to justify their place in the squad, he's a lot better placed than either of us to make that decision.

The fact that you don't think Bennett has contributed from the bench and is only being picked because 'he's one of our own' says a lot though.

How can he be in a better place than me to make the decision, I played for Alvaston Cavaliers for 5 seasons !!!! I know what I’m taking about.

And back to Bennett, yes I think there is a huge swell of populist opinion he’s better than he is because “he’s one of our own”. 

15 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I also said Frank messed up Saturday and having those two options ahead of Jack was crazy. Hence your on the wing comment was pointlesa. Debate closed again 

Marriott hasn't scored in the league this year (11 league games), hasn't scored since Southampton at home in the Cup (also 11 games, starting 7 of those) and his last league goal at Pride Park was against Birmingham at the start of November (10 league games).

Archived