The Politics Thread 2019

Day

On the issue of the protests and the verbal abuse. I don't condone it in anyway shape or form, but what was Rees-Mogg's boy doing there anyway?

It wouldn't exactly have been a shock to them that there was the protests, not sure why Rees-Mogg would willingly putting his son in the firing line?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

On the issue of the protests and the verbal abuse. I don't condone it in anyway shape or form, but what was Rees-Mogg's boy doing there anyway?

It wouldn't exactly have been a shock to them that there was the protests, not sure why Rees-Mogg would willingly putting his son in the firing line?

Rees-Mogg seems to drag his young lad around everywhere with him in a junior old fogey outfit complete with tweed jacket and round glasses.

I think he's just preparing him for the high political office that is his birthright.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Or all the people that cant even get jobs because of the influx of cheap foreign labour...

Clueless.  Show me examples of UK citizens not getting jobs because of cheap foreign workers?  That is a myth.  You may have foreign labour doing jobs that the UK workforce are too work shy to do, such as working on the fields, planting and harvesting crops, and other menial jobs.

There are plenty of support jobs, in the NHS, that are available.  No UK unemployee wants to do them, hence why 90% are done by EMEA workers.  Go read what the medical professionals are saying about brexit, just hope you don't need any serious help from the NHS if we leave with no deal.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I am no expert, by any means compared with some on here who despite differing opinions do seem to have a reasonable grasp on matters, but how can what BJ did with his communication to the EU  last night be within the requirements of the Law to request a delay?

Sending one letter unsigned which essentially says a delay is requested because we have to, and another essentially saying don't give us on.

It does pose a question of what response will be from the EU. Comply with the letter I guess and give an extension. But if they said they had not received any request for an extension it would be reasonable, as an unsigned letter could be sent from anyone. 

I will laugh if Boris goes to prison. That'll make my day. 

Anyway, here's to whatever the hell is going to happen. Fingers crossed for all those people who feel under threat from no deal. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I am no expert, by any means compared with some on here who despite differing opinions do seem to have a reasonable grasp on matters, but how can what BJ did with his communication to the EU  last night be within the requirements of the Law to request a delay?

Sending one letter unsigned which essentially says a delay is requested because we have to, and another essentially saying don't give us on.

It would appear one letter is sent on behalf of Parliament and the other is from BJ personally.

Not sure what the problem is with him letting the EU know his personal view, it's been ok for Bercow and Swinson to give the EU their personal views so why not BJ?

1 minute ago, McRamFan said:

Clueless.  Show me examples of UK citizens not getting jobs because of cheap foreign workers?  That is a myth.  You may have foreign labour doing jobs that the UK workforce are too work shy to do, such as working on the fields, planting and harvesting crops, and other menial jobs.

There are plenty of support jobs, in the NHS, that are available.  No UK unemployee wants to do them, hence why 90% are done by EMEA workers.  Go read what the medical professionals are saying about brexit, just hope you don't need any serious help from the NHS if we leave with no deal.

Show you an example of someone not being able to get a job? 

Re the NHS, me too, I mean it's only ever functioned because of the EU right?

It would appear one letter is sent on behalf of Parliament and the other is from BJ personally.

Not sure what the problem is with him letting the EU know his personal view, it's been ok for Bercow and Swinson to give the EU their personal views so why not BJ?

Hmm...try the fact he is the PM and he represents the will of Parliament.  His personal view stops once the vote has been made, he lost, he then has to carry out the intention of that vote, regardless of his personal point of view.  By not doing so, or inferring he disagrees with the vote of Parliament, he is fundamentally going against Parliament, something he cannot do.

Next stop Supreme Court, and jail for Johnson and Cummings.

He thinks he is bigger that his peers, after all he has stated he wanted to be 'king of the world'.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Show you an example of someone not being able to get a job? 

Re the NHS, me too, I mean it's only ever functioned because of the EU right?

Easy, explain why farmers actively recruit from mainland Europe.

I am sorry you are unable to understand the bigger picture, and the impact of a no deal brexit.  Come back when you do.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Because the businesses I work with in Europe have already confirmed they will be switching to local suppliers in the event of a no deal brexit, if that happens I have been told by my firm that it would unfortunately mean redundancy as my job is then essentially redundant.

A real consequence that anyone who supports a no deal brexit just brushes off with "project fear", or I will helpfully be reminded thay I can find another job. Great, I can probably walk in to a local warehouse and pack boxes the day after (absolutrly no dig at that as a job, I've done it myself before) but it's not going to pay my current mortgage and childcare costs.

I'm not going to be alone here, if WTO tarrifs are applied across the board there are a few thousand people in Sunderland are at serious risk as well. Small businesses that operate on fine margins and EU supply lines are at risk.

Real people, real consequences. But yeah, it's all worth the risk because people say I 'might' be better off. Well, I might not and in my current situation with a baby and only a month or two of contingency in savings it's not a risk any sensible person would take.

I'm in a better position than a lot of people and it's still unstable.

Fair point.. I hope everything works out for you personally.. 

I could make further points here but probably best to leave it.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I would imagine there will be job losses. My wife works for a transport company, they are currently knee deep in organising different permits and all sorts of paper work for customs and excise which may not even be needed if we don't get a deal. Because we have left it so late again I am sure lots of businesses will be in a similar position, spending money and time for something that might happen or it might not.

When you factor in the extra costs that will be associated for these businesses in a market where profit margins are thin anyway it may be the last straw.

That’s the issue, business is wasting time and money as this drags on. Planning is hard when you have nothing as a base position.

The logistics sector is an interesting one, one I am in. Potentially there will be a need for quite large recruiting in a no deal scenario. Like I said, doors close, doors open. 

10 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Hmm...try the fact he is the PM and he represents the will of Parliament.  His personal view stops once the vote has been made, he lost, he then has to carry out the intention of that vote, regardless of his personal point of view.  By not doing so, or inferring he disagrees with the vote of Parliament, he is fundamentally going against Parliament, something he cannot do.

Next stop Supreme Court, and jail for Johnson and Cummings.

He thinks he is bigger that his peers, after all he has stated he wanted to be 'king of the world'.

It's ok for the speaker to give his personal opinion though?

How come Remainers personal opinions didnt have to stop when they lost?

7 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Easy, explain why farmers actively recruit from mainland Europe.

I am sorry you are unable to understand the bigger picture, and the impact of a no deal brexit.  Come back when you do.

We all know by now that only you understand the full implications of everything. Surprised that government have not hired you actually.

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't really understand the problem with 2 letters either. It makes Johnson look like a leader with no power or mandate too so let him write as many as he wants. It's like when he wrote 2 columns with contradictory views on the EU, then did an eanie-meanie-minie-mow, catch a watermelon smiling picanny by his toe.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's ok for the speaker to give his personal opinion though?

How come Remainers personal opinions didnt have to stop when they lost?

He had his chance to give his opinion, he lost, and was told what to do.  Now he is trying to wriggle out of his responsibilities.  What don't you understand about that simple process?

We all know by now that only you understand the full implications of everything. Surprised that government have not hired you actually.

We also know that you don't.  We also know that you just throw out watery insults when you can't back up your 'facts'.

simon lord messages GIF by Dillon Francis

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

He's sent nanny back to Poland - cant have common folk applying for settled status. 

He'll re-hire her once they've all decamped to Ireland to follow their cash....?

1 minute ago, McRamFan said:

He had his chance to give his opinion, he lost, and was told what to do.  Now he is trying to wriggle out of his responsibilities.  What don't you understand about that simple process?

We also know that you don't.  We also know that you just throw out watery insults when you can't back up your 'facts'.

simon lord messages GIF by Dillon Francis

The Remainers had their chance and lost their vote but you are happy for them to wriggle out of their responsibility of getting us out of the EU.

I admit, I'll never be as good as you at posting pointless links to back up 'facts'.

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The Remainers had their chance and lost their vote but you are happy for them to wriggle out of their responsibility of getting us out of the EU.

I admit, I'll never be as good as you at posting pointless links to back up 'facts'.

I know you like to think that the referendum was more than advisory because it was sold as a once in a lifetime opportunity, but the reality is that is might not be. It is advisory only, so anyone who opposes it is not going against anything other than a groundswell of public opinion at a single point in time. However the PM has a legal responsibility, in fact a mandate, to request an extension. Our sovereign Parliament has demanded it of him. 

Even slippery Farage said it would be unreasonable for the EU to block the Benn act, petty bureaucrats they are. 

How about defending democracy and demanding the PM do what our MPs demanded? If you don't like what they said, vote them out at the next general election. That's what the Brexit supporters told us ages ago. 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I know you like to think that the referendum was more than advisory because it was sold as a once in a lifetime opportunity, but the reality is that is might not be. It is advisory only, so anyone who opposes it is not going against anything other than a groundswell of public opinion at a single point in time. However the PM has a legal responsibility, in fact a mandate, to request an extension. Our sovereign Parliament has demanded it of him. 

Even slippery Farage said it would be unreasonable for the EU to block the Benn act, petty bureaucrats they are. 

How about defending democracy and demanding the PM do what our MPs demanded? If you don't like what they said, vote them out at the next general election. That's what the Brexit supporters told us ages ago. 

And I suppose the manifestos that pledged to honour the result, and the votes to invoke Article 50 (which clearly stated we would leave without a deal if one not agreed) were also advisory and can be ignored because it suits Remainers agenda?

Dont make me laugh and try and quote democracy. It's been dead for over 6 months now.

Archived