The Politics Thread 2019

Day

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is that how you refer to the EU these days?

Do you honestly think that the EU are the cause of the problems in this country - the utter divisiveness and tribalism that we are descending to at an increasing rate? If so, what are your reasons for doing so?

I would suggest that every single problem we have now is down, at least to a fairly high proportion, to this most malign, vindictive, hateful and elitist Tory government that we have been subjected to for a decade.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Montgolfier said:

Do you honestly think that the EU are the cause of the problems in this country - the utter divisiveness and tribalism that we are descending to at an increasing rate? If so, what are your reasons for doing so?

I would suggest that every single problem we have now is down, at least to a fairly high proportion, to this most malign, vindictive, hateful and elitist Tory government that we have been subjected to for a decade.

No I dont think everything is down to the EU.

I think the current state of this country is down to both Labour and Conservative governments, along with the EU.

I noticed that the company responsible for HS2, picked today as the ideal day to announce that the cost to build it will be 20 million pounds more than the last estimate. Also the first train may not run until as late as 2031.

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I noticed that the company responsible for HS2, picked today as the ideal day to announce that the cost to build it will be 20 million pounds more than the last estimate. Also the first train may not run until as late as 2031.

As a comment I've just seen says...."At that price, it would be cheaper and quicker to move Leeds and Manchaester closer to London"

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Genuine question - in what way do you expect to live in misery should Corbyn become PM?

What do you think he will do that will make your life a misery?

The inevitable tax increases, the country potentially being led by a  weak PM of average intellect who will cave into demands of his union paymasters. The rise of the 'something for nothing' brigade causing an increase in unemployment. I would not be overly enthusiastic about a return to characters of the ilk of Red Rob and Scargill. Apart from that, I shall smile my way through it all.  x  ? 

25 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Talk about burying bad news....

HS2 now delayed by up to 5 years and budget has ballooned to up to £88bn

Utter madness. Some of that money should be spent on taking back control of our future energy supply from the French & Chinese.

Yes, but the NIMBYs in rural Derbyshire will burn themselves at the stake rather than have a wind farm.

25 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

20 billion more.

21 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

It should be scrapped, it is not needed in a relatively small country such as ours. Better to spend money on linking effectively the NW & Yorkshire, and Midlands to East Anglia.

11 minutes ago, bcnram said:

It should be scrapped, it is not needed in a relatively small country such as ours. Better to spend money on linking effectively the NW & Yorkshire, and Midlands to East Anglia.

We probably have the worst, most expensive railway system in the whole of Western Europe.

13 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

We probably have the worst, most expensive railway system in the whole of Western Europe.

It is certainly the most expensive I have travelled on. It definitely needs investment and better efficiency in getting more trains onto busy lines to avoid so much overcrowding. 

59 minutes ago, bcnram said:

The inevitable tax increases, the country potentially being led by a  weak PM of average intellect who will cave into demands of his union paymasters. The rise of the 'something for nothing' brigade causing an increase in unemployment. I would not be overly enthusiastic about a return to characters of the ilk of Red Rob and Scargill. Apart from that, I shall smile my way through it all.  x  ? 

Average price intellect puts him ahead of the current incumbent and an awful lot of others. 

2 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Talk about burying bad news....

HS2 now delayed by up to 5 years and budget has ballooned to up to £88bn

Utter madness. Some of that money should be spent on taking back control of our future energy supply from the French & Chinese.

Well...never!

Me thinks Dominic Cunning the puppet master missed a trick there.

Headline, HS2 is on time and budget (never let a good lie get in the way of reality).  

Sideline, announce the date for GE.

Archived