The Politics Thread 2019

David

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Corbyn's policies are portrayed as some kind of communism but its really the society I grew up in. I kinda liked.growing up. I liked having free access to a Doctor, something me Mum's family never had when they were kids. 

When I was young my little town had a police station, ambulance station and fire station fully manned. Now we can't afford it.

Ah yes, the good old days of 30% inflation, Humiliating IMF bailout, massive industrial decline, strikes, power cuts & brown Austin Allegros.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Its magic money tree day! Be interesting to see how many suck up the BS that Javid spins out today.

For those that didn't see BJ display last night, you should do.  He was almost giddy with delight, as he tried to duck over the country.   The idiot is deluded, he might go for a general election, as that is what his ego wants, not what the country needs.  He will only get an election, if the bill is passed, could be pushed through by Monday.

May I refer you to my earlier post...

11 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Well Boris's only option now is an election & yesterday's festivities make his Queen's speech & prorogation totally redundant.

Having lost his majority, he then hypocritically removed the whip from 21 of his MP's, giving him zero chance of getting anything through parliament. Except perhaps a pay rise for MPs.

An election is exactly what the country needs, otherwise nothing will get done at all. Whether we want one, is another matter of course.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why were they some of the 820,000 that were going to lose their jobs immediately following a Brexit vote?

You are miss quoting, again, it's getting boring.  That stat is from 2016 and it was said that leaving the EU could end up with that many out of work, not just voting to leave.  Speculation, just  like the bus.

You are just a WUM, and not very good at it.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-could-kill-820-000-jobs-chancellor-10291524

Just now, McRamFan said:

You are miss quoting, again, it's getting boring.  That stat is from 2016 and it was said that leaving the EU could end up with that many out of work, not just voting to leave.  Speculation, just  like the bus.

You are just a WUM, and not very good at it.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-could-kill-820-000-jobs-chancellor-10291524

Yes, youre correct (but there again you always are) it was the emergency budget that was going to follow a Leave vote. It wasnt just going to be one either, it was going to be one after another.

Were you sold a lie?

Doubt it, sure you would have known the true facts...

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I really can't get my head around why anyone thinks that keeping No Deal on the table would help us with the negotiating.

Whilst No Deal would clearly be bad for the EU, it would surely be far worse for us. 

Only stupid English arrogance can explain why we think that threat would make the EU give us what we want.

Really?

With 'No Deal' off the table the possibilities would range from 'Remaining' to 'May's Deal'.
With 'No Deal' on the table, you upon up the full range of possibilities from 'Remaining' to 'No Deal', and the chance to get a better deal than what May got us.
No Deal should have been the default position from the start, which would have given the EU greater motivation to reach a more passable deal.

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I really can't get my head around why anyone thinks that keeping No Deal on the table would help us with the negotiating

Because if there is no threat to walk away from a negotiation the other side can offer any old rubbish in the certain knowledge that you will have to accept it. Why our stupid MPs cannot see that is beyond me--apart from the fact most aren't stupid and are playing a game to thwart the result of the referendum, without admitting it.

A quick poll in the paper shop today concluded that "parliamentarians" is a new term for a lower form of pond life. Then the debate moved to the Ashes.

I'm wondering if the only way this is ever going to get sorted is for a second referendum ASAP with the choice being either: Remain or No Deal Brexit. Plus an understanding that this would be the end of the matter for the next 20 years or so.

My preferred option would have been to leave with a deal but we've proved over the last 3 and a bit years, that this isn't possible. IMO there would be no point having it as a choice & end up back where we are now.

So in the incoming election next month, I'm not voting for any party. None of them have convinced me they will sort out Brexit. I'll listen to my independent candidates in my local area and hear their ideas.

Sick of this mess. Every time I wake up in the morning, I feel like Bill Murray. £70-80k a year these MP's get paid? Couldn't lead a shift behind a bar these lot. Absolute drivel.

Independent it is then. 

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Because if there is no threat to walk away from a negotiation the other side can offer any old rubbish in the certain knowledge that you will have to accept it. Why our stupid MPs cannot see that is beyond me--apart from the fact most aren't stupid and are playing a game to thwart the result of the referendum, without admitting it.

A quick poll in the paper shop today concluded that "parliamentarians" is a new term for a lower form of pond life. Then the debate moved to the Ashes.

yeah but where's the evidence of this negotiation? - if you watched the debate a major issue that many tory MPs had was that there is almost no evidence of any negotiation with the EU. No published proposals, a reduced negotiating team - whilst at the same time from the civil service we are seeing leaks of no-deal preparation, a public campaign launched regarding No Deal brexit.

Boris is relying on his strategist and words to gain support of his MPs in order to deliver a brexit, but instead of working to find a solution he is threatening his own MPs and trying to use the powers at his disposal to frustrate his parliament.

The issue is that there is not enough trust in the government from the parliament.

The official vote leave referendum campaign, headed by our now prime minister, a cabinet minister and his advisor, actively played down the fear of this eventuality and in fact relied on the assumption that we would get a deal as a stick to dismiss remain concerns. Now it is time for them to deliver on this.

There is a brexit deal out there to be had that will gain support in the commons, however falling back on the previous prime minister's red lines will feel like too much of a concession for our PM.

image.png.49a4a085d866aa30297d8db13dd974e4.png

The tories could have delivered brexit by now but all they got greedy and didn't learn.

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

An election is exactly what the country needs, otherwise nothing will get done at all. Whether we want one, is another matter of course.

Unless it brings about a large majority for one party, then an election now won't resolve anything.

23 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Change is coming

Screenshot_20190904-090438~2.png

Hmmm! quoting Corbyn's anti-business tendencies and how the City would depend on the Lib Dems to curb him and his politburo. 

Who knows where politics is going in the UK at the moment. I will say credit to the Labour party for getting some top legal advice on the process.

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I really can't get my head around why anyone thinks that keeping No Deal on the table would help us with the negotiating.

Whilst No Deal would clearly be bad for the EU, it would surely be far worse for us. 

Only stupid English arrogance can explain why we think that threat would make the EU give us what we want.

My house is going up for sale soon, please tell me you're interested in buying it!

Just now, Van Wolfie said:

Hardly a ringing endorsement, though. Asking the banking sector if they'd prefer Corbyn or no deal Brexit is like asking people to choose their favourite STD.

Well yes I realise that, but given that it looks increasingly like this is the choice the British public will face soon, it's interesting to see a narrative that confirms the least worst STD!

I've thought all along that it's incredibly unlikely that Corbyn would ever be able to enact the most radical of his policies, as that's just the way British politics works. Parliament is designed to limit the stupidity of the more extreme ideas (as we're seeing with the Brexit stuff).

Even further reinforced by the fact he'd almost certainly be in a coalition if he did become PM

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'll offer you 2k for it. And it you don't accept, I'll kill myself. How do you like them apples!

Good comeback. 

But to be a fair comparison, youd probably have to offer me over the asking price and advise me that you're not prepared to negotiate.

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

Nope.

A General Election should be just that  …. about stuff 'generally.' Any GE is now inevitably going to be dominated by BREXIT so I think to do justice to all the other issues affecting the UK (crime, NHS, etc etc). you have to split the two.

We should have a second referendum about this specific issue. Three years have passed since the Ref - 'Dealism' seems to have failed with May and everyone is now completely clued up. BREXIT should not be resolved by newspaper character assassination stories and muddy waters.

The process should be - everyone signs up to the fact that this is the absolute final decision on it, and the choice is Remain or Leave with No Deal.

Both Remain and Leave reckon they have the mandate - so put your money down. 

Archived