The Politics Thread 2019

David

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

Do you honestly think that the EU are the cause of the problems in this country - the utter divisiveness and tribalism that we are descending to at an increasing rate? If so, what are your reasons for doing so?

I would suggest that every single problem we have now is down, at least to a fairly high proportion, to this most malign, vindictive, hateful and elitist Tory government that we have been subjected to for a decade.

That pain in the ars called GDPR has caused no end of small companies problems just to comply. The EU must know only the UK will comply to the letter. The likes of Spain, Italy etc will just shrug and carry on as normal.

On 01/09/2019 at 13:38, GboroRam said:

Actually I would have gone along with May's deal. I'd have preferred to have stayed in but it was preferable to a crash out, no deal. I still think we have to leave - those who supported leave need to see there's no paradise. But of course that will be the EUs fault. I promise we'll be having this discussion later and you'll be blaming the EU for the predicament of the country. Just wait and see. 

An Economist who works for Deutsche Bank on Bloomberg stated this week a no deal Brexit in the medium to long term will not be a problem for the UK economy or for sterling. 

Most importantly his view are independent from this country and politics. 

58 minutes ago, cstand said:

An Economist who works for Deutsche Bank on Bloomberg stated this week a no deal Brexit in the medium to long term will not be a problem for the UK economy or for sterling. 

Most importantly his view are independent from this country and politics. 

image.png.a24e6f4cae7c5887f5ab5d536927a336.png

image.png.5d894fc471b6f649273bfac9c31898ee.png

It's very two faced of Johnson and Rees-Mogg to stand-up in Parliament today and call other MPs, who are supporting the bill to stop us leaving without a deal, undemocratic. They both said that all MPs should support the government in leaving the EU and complying with the wishers of the people as voted for inthe referendum.

I seem to remember both of them voting against their own party leader and the deal agreed to by our government and the EU more than once.

Glad to see they're both now taking their constitutional responsibilities more seriously.

But there again isn't changing your mind suppose to be undemocratic?

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

What is Corbyns stance on Brexit? I really don’t know if he’s in, out or half in half out. 

Neither does he! He hasn’t voted positively for anything has he, so he’s a perfect choice as the next PM FFS! Quite how the wishes of 17m+ people have been interpreted as not wanting to leave without a deal I don’t know. Get rid of the lot of them (good start Boris!) and start again!

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Wow - for those of you wondering if a no-deal Brexit is better or worse than Corbyn as PM - the Torygraph of all papers has weighed in and settled it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/09/03/corbyn-better-no-deal-brexit-say-investment-banks-anti-capitalist/

Never thought I'd see that!

And when you've lost the Daily Mail too, where is there left to go?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7421045/No-Deal-Brexit-lead-months-chaos-public-disorder.html

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

That pain in the ars called GDPR has caused no end of small companies problems just to comply. The EU must know only the UK will comply to the letter. The likes of Spain, Italy etc will just shrug and carry on as normal.

I am my company's PCI Compliance Officer, and as such I have to wear the GDPR and DPA hats.

To tell the truth, there is little in GDPR that wasn't in the Data Protection Act (2018) revision, especially if your company and business processes adhere to PCI Data Security Standards. The previous EU-wide Data Protection standards dated from 1995 (before the internet really), so they really needed bringing up to date.

Companies that don't comply will eventually be compromised, and (more than likely) go out of business. It's not a pain - it's an absolute necessity.

What aspect of GDPR is causing you grief (I assume you are speaking from personal experience)? The size of the company is irrelevant - the nature of the business and how you operate is.

12 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I always thought he was anti EU but wants to sign up to a customs union and free trade deal which would surely tie him back into the EU. in fact it would be daft leaving based upon them terms.

It's almost as if the media have consistently refused to accurately report his position (which hasn't changed by the way) as one of the myriad attempts to undermine him - leaving the casual observer to wallow in confirmation bias and therefore believe the portrait they painted of him.

I mean - it's not hard to google "what is Labour's position on Brexit?" and read all their material on the subject. It's pretty clear

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/negotiating-brexit/

You don't have to agree with their position, but to parrot the "what does Corbyn even think about Brexit" BS from the media does not leave you looking like a crack political analyst

25 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's almost as if the media have consistently refused to accurately report his position (which hasn't changed by the way) as one of the myriad attempts to undermine him - leaving the casual observer to wallow in confirmation bias and therefore believe the portrait they painted of him.

I mean - it's not hard to google "what is Labour's position on Brexit?" and read all their material on the subject. It's pretty clear

You don't have to agree with their position, but to parrot the "what does Corbyn even think about Brexit" BS from the media does not leave you looking like a crack political analyst

It will be something different tomorrow if he thinks he’ll win another vote.

38 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

That's quite clearly not his position though.

It's a position he has adopted to try and further his own personal career.

Archived