Scott Malone

Sheikh n Bake

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Kinder said:

I think this was a brave interview from Malone. He’s admitted he lost his head and seems pretty emotional about it. It’s big of him to come out and admit it and try to build bridges with the fans. I’ll be right behind him if he plays today and I hope he doesn’t get a hard time. 

Agreed but what I don't understand was the incident where he "lost his head" and argued with the fans was in an earlier game, wasn't it? Not the Bristol game - in that he just made a very poor mistake but that's not really down to losing your head. So did something else happen?

On 24/08/2019 at 08:36, angieram said:

Yes. It's almost as if @OwenB87 reads this message board and opens up the opportunity to clear the air! 

It's a much better interview when you give the player some space to answer honestly rather than following a pre-match/post-match club script. More please, Owen. 

He does read this message board. He once called me out on Twitter for questioning the accuracy of one of his stories. A story that turned out to have significant inaccuracies. So that was nice. 

On 23/08/2019 at 18:21, Tyler Durden said:

Utter tripe so by your definition then Claude Davis has made it as a footballer. Utterly laughable.

Claude Davis played over 250 games in english football league during that time he played under 11 different managers including the like of Paul Jewel,George Burley,Niel Warnock,You might now have liked him as a player but to say he never made it as a footballer is utterly garbage.As for Malone he as played 5 years in the Championship and 1 in the Prem he has played under a number of managers including David Wagner.Slavisa Jocanovic,Ian Hollowayand of course Frank Lampard.SO PLEASE PLEASE  REMEMBER IF THERES THINGS YOU DISLIKE ABOUT A PLAYER BY ALL MEANS POINT OUT WHAT YOU JUDGE AS FLAWS,but please check your facts before trying to destroy a player and another poster 

Been following this thread with interest and the term abuse is the key one.

If a player makes a mistake, I freely admit that I would, in the heat of the moment, shout out. Something along the lines of "FFS concentrate" or just a "Aaaaagggghhhhhh!"

But I also shout and clap like a loon when anything good is done. It's a game of passion and emotions show themselves through vocalisation - I'm not sure you can have the positive getting behind the team without also having some degree of the verbal kick up the backside.

I really don't think the former counts as abuse. My opinion is that "abuse" is where it continues beyond the immediacy of the incident, when the player is booed and shouted at just for receiving the ball, and when they're shouted at continuously using personal insults. That is unacceptable behaviour regardless of how much someone is paid.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs, when a player gives it back to the crowd it doesn't end well. Social media has seen to that.

The Malone incident is a good example of a player who was neither a fans favourite nor one who had his 'haters' managing to propel himself into the unwanted limelight.

He'd have been far better off using his considerable experience and keeping shtum - pretty much as he said himself in the article.

If nothing else, this episode should have taught the 23s what not to do when they hear something that they don't like from the crowd.

A players relationship with the fans has always struck me as fragile. The players have such a different perspective on the club and the games to the fans that it’s quite possible that they think differently in terms of credit, harshness, etc. 

It can’t be nice playing in front on 25k+ people knowing that a large section of em them is not a fan of yours. Obviously a strong-minded person can use that but just because they’re a good footballer doesn’t mean they’re able to handle that kind of thing. And if anyone says they should be able to handle if for £20k a week has no clue what stress, pressure and anxiety is all about. 

Always find the discussion of booing etc a really odd one. English football is the only sport where it seems to be deemed wrong.

I've attended several games abroad in places like Germany and Austria and they absolutely boo and whistle during a game if the performance isn't as desired. Booing is extremely common in American sports, it's not thought of as wrong at all.

Why are English teams so precious?

On 24 August 2019 at 13:34, IslandExile said:

Agreed but what I don't understand was the incident where he "lost his head" and argued with the fans was in an earlier game, wasn't it? Not the Bristol game - in that he just made a very poor mistake but that's not really down to losing your head. So did something else happen?

I don't think his reference to losing his head was anything to do with verbals with the crowd.

i think he was referring to the fact that immediately after he lost the ball causing us to concede, he went on a rampage through midfield and lost it again, leading to another dangerous counter attack.

On 23/08/2019 at 17:48, Steve How Hard? said:

There is an interview with him on the club website. I think it's Owen Bradley doing the interview. 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/08/malone-i-want-to-win-every-game-for-Derby

Top lad - Very big of him to come out and say that - Shows real maturity and the kind of player you want around the dressing room - Especially for the younger players, someone who can say "yeh, I made a mistake and I'll learn from it and fight back" is exactly what younger players need to hear (because they're gonna be full of mistakes)

57 minutes ago, Srg said:

Always find the discussion of booing etc a really odd one. English football is the only sport where it seems to be deemed wrong.

I've attended several games abroad in places like Germany and Austria and they absolutely boo and whistle during a game if the performance isn't as desired. Booing is extremely common in American sports, it's not thought of as wrong at all.

Why are English teams so precious?

I’m not coming at you here but would you do your job better if a crowd stood behind you shouting at you when you weren’t doing it to their requirement...? Just saying....

I find booing your own players embarrassing. It’s counter-productive and definitely isn’t ‘support’. 

And I definitely take issue with doing anything because Europeans and especially Americans do it! ??

7 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

I’m not coming at you here but would you do your job better if a crowd stood behind you shouting at you when you weren’t doing it to their requirement...? Just saying....

I find booing your own players embarrassing. It’s counter-productive and definitely isn’t ‘support’. 

And I definitely take issue with doing anything because Europeans and especially Americans do it! ??

It comes with the territory of being a sportsman or woman, in my opinion. If you can't handle pressure, or stand the heat, then you're in the wrong profession.

As for your last comment, the eyes couldn't roll further.

SCOTT Malone believes that his heated exchange of words with Millwall fans at Barnsley shows how much he cares.

Malone was criticised by supporters on social media for lashing out at the away end during the latter stages of last weekend's 1-0 defeat.

The left back has admitted that his frustration at the result got the better of him and that he "lost control" of his emotions.

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/32808-malone-my-outburst-at-fans-was-wrong-but-it-shows-i-care

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

It comes with the territory of being a sportsman or woman, in my opinion. If you can't handle pressure, or stand the heat, then you're in the wrong profession.

but really what good does it do?  Just shows the temperament of the individual concerned and highlights character flaws.

9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

but really what good does it do?  Just shows the temperament of the individual concerned and highlights character flaws.

But what good doesn't it do?

For every player you could argue it affects negatively, I'm sure you could argue it spurs others on. My main point is, is that it's really not a big deal either way like it's made out to be constantly.

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

So because they're physically able then they're strong mentally too? And if they're not then they shouldn't do it? Can't agree. And like I said, in my analogy that you ignored - who, anyone, does their job better when shouted at.... Just doesn't work in terms of getting a better result. If you want theatre and general entertainment then fine but don't think boo'ing will help anyone perform because it won't.

And eyes roll? Oh get over yourself - I put a wink and a smile on it mate. Just trying to have some gentle banter / sensible debate, that's all. No need.

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

But what good doesn't it do?

For every player you could argue it affects negatively, I'm sure you could argue it spurs others on. My main point is, is that it's really not a big deal either way like it's made out to be constantly.

I don't get booing my own player ever. 

If I was pushed then a player showing total lack of interest or jogging back may perhaps be worthy of that..but I wouldn't. But a player over-playing a pass, trying to take on his man and failing...I simply don't get. Really doesn't help. 

We are all guilty of groaning when a player makes a mess of something and I would argue that definitely doesn't help. The nagging yelling, singling out of a particular player is definitely counter productive and with Malone playing close to the crowd and hearing it seems to have got under his skin.

All said and done, if customers moaned (especially unfairly) about me at work and the boss could hear, then I reckon I would get pretty defensive too . We want to win matches, and I can't see how the negative yelling at him helps our cause, regardless of if I rate him.

49 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

So because they're physically able then they're strong mentally too? And if they're not then they shouldn't do it? Can't agree. And like I said, in my analogy that you ignored - who, anyone, does their job better when shouted at.... Just doesn't work in terms of getting a better result. If you want theatre and general entertainment then fine but don't think boo'ing will help anyone perform because it won't.

And eyes roll? Oh get over yourself - I put a wink and a smile on it mate. Just trying to have some gentle banter / sensible debate, that's all. No need.

No need for the air of superiority because we're English either, but crack on.

We don't agree, and that's fine. We don't need to.

Archived