Scott Malone

Sheikh n Bake

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a bit of a disconnect here in what relationship between the fans and the players.

It is not a customer service relationship; they are not assistants at a shop. They are the actual commodity. The spectators are paying the club to watch them do their thing, and if that includes a player telling some fans to "duck Off", then so be it.

Sure it can be harmful for the player himself to do such things - if his career is negatively effected he only has himself to blame; but there isn't some right for "fans" to be protected from human reaction because "the players are the professionals". 
They're being paid to play football, not to be nice to some assholes calling them crap.

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

Do other clubs routinely have players giving it back to fans? Off the top of my head I can think of Malone, Bent, Christie, Baird... to lesser extents Lawrence and BJ. Three full-backs and a winger in those five as well...

I don't think its routine, but I it's not particularly uncommon either. Especially in difficult games. Happens at basically every club from time to time. Rooney had a go at England fans if I recall?

I do think it's a good thing it isn't a hugely common occurrence, because if it was I'd be very worried about the stress levels among players, but I also think that fans that get upset by it when it happens are a touch entitled and hypocritical. It's a pretty human reaction to abuse to return it.

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Sorry but footballers are offering a service - its part of the entertainment industry. What other end product is there? They are not just playing for themselves and their remuneration is based on the fact that football is in demand , people want to watch it. I won't boo or abuse Malone ( or any of our players ) but I can say objectively that I do not find him a good player to watch because his mistakes matter. My support for the team does not mean I have to rate Malone as a good player. In fact he consistently disappoints. 

Many of us in our jobs find ourselves evaluated by the people we do the job for  -  teachers,doctors, policemen are rated by the public. We can expect support from the people we serve but not if we consistently do the job poorly.

I can see why you think that. It is not a service though. We don't need them and in any entertainment/sport industry your money does not guarantee what you desire. In sport, they have opponents actively trying to stop them doing what they want to do. Sports can never run like a service would, too many unknowns. The outcomes in sport are far more complex and varied. 

Your ticket gives you a football match. What happens in that is down to the 22 players on the pitch. Sport is about winning. You are just watching, you hope for a good match but nothing guarantees that.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think in sport you want abuse and hate from opponents. It means your doing something right. 

.... He's gave them a bit back...

Trouble is when you do that you leave yourself open to get it in the neck on your next mistake. He's not a good enough defender to go about 'giving it back'.

29 minutes ago, cannable said:

Do other clubs routinely have players giving it back to fans? Off the top of my head I can think of Malone, Bent, Christie, Baird... to lesser extents Lawrence and BJ. Three full-backs and a winger in those five as well...

I think so,there was a stink here the other night about the Wendies booing Morgan Fox.

I think the Christie one for me was worst because we could see it affecting him on the pitch.

32 minutes ago, cannable said:

Bryson last season, Martin in the Clement season...

18 hours ago, jono said:

Totally fed up with this Scott isn’t good thing

total rubbish. He made a bad error last night, two actually, the second when he was trying too hard to make up for the first. So what ? .. Waggy miscontrolled a peach of a ball, Lawrence tripped over his feet, Dowell did at least 3 lousy short passes. 

Scotty, is always available, his positioning is usually very good. He can cross better than most, he plays the ball with his first touch and speeds our movement considerably. And above all he wears his heart on his sleeve. FFS lay off him, he’s a good player and gives his all. 

For those who can’t see the good he brings to the team then I honestly doubt your football intelligence ( IMO ?

Well said that man and i do hope he is not made the scapegoat from the performance against Bristol as i could of put two or three other players way in front of Malone for a bad performances

12 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Well said that man and i do hope he is not made the scapegoat from the performance against Bristol as i could of put two or three other players way in front of Malone for a bad performances

He's been made a scapegoat ever since Keogh stopped becoming the scapegoat.

We have a large proportion of fans who hate their wife and job, meaning they're only excitement in life is to single out one of our own players on a Saturday and blame them for us not winning. 

There is an element of modern fandom in all this criticism of Malone.  There is no room for being a decent player who had a bad game (or a bad player having a good game).  You’re either brilliant or crap - and what decides that is your last performance.  Now clearly, not all fans feel this way, but a lot do (it isn’t about individuals either, it applies to teams as well).  I think it can get quite silly.

Malone had a stinker the other night, but it doesn’t necessarily make him a terrible player, or a liability.  I think he’s had some decent games for us and is an OK championship player.  Nothing more, nothing less - and frankly that’s what we have to expect being a championship club.  I have no problem with him being dropped for Lowe, who looked ok too, but if his name is on the team sheet it wouldn’t lead me to have a coronary (my massive weight and lack of fitness will do that).

24 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

You don't seem happy that he's on the receiving end of pure abuse and then quite rightly gives some back.

Think you need to put your big boy pants on in future!

Lol! You're the one wetting yourself laddy. He's a very ordinary defender with a BIT of something going forward, who thinks it's smart to be gobby at his own fans. Me I'm very happy at that, shows him for the player he is.

2 hours ago, BondJovi said:

I can see why you think that. It is not a service though. We don't need them and in any entertainment/sport industry your money does not guarantee what you desire. In sport, they have opponents actively trying to stop them doing what they want to do. Sports can never run like a service would, too many unknowns. The outcomes in sport are far more complex and varied. 

Your ticket gives you a football match. What happens in that is down to the 22 players on the pitch. Sport is about winning. You are just watching, you hope for a good match but nothing guarantees that.

The bottom line is that Football is nit entertainment,the reason being is that fans cannot go to a game and be sure of being entertained.Entertainment is going to a show,theater,concert places that you can be assured you will enjoy otherwise you wont attend,If only that was the case in football

25 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

You don't seem happy that he's on the receiving end of pure abuse and then quite rightly gives some back.

Think you need to put your big boy pants on in future!

Pure abuse strong words.....some of the crowd may have been expressing their displeasure with his performance but you need to be careful when your bandying words like that around 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol! You're the one wetting yourself laddy. He's a very ordinary defender with a BIT of something going forward, who thinks it's smart to be gobby at his own fans. Me I'm very happy at that, shows him for the player he is.

What did you think when Chris Martin scored a penalty against Brighton, kicked the advertising hoardings and screamed “duck OFF” at the south stand in Clements season?

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

What did you think when Chris Martin scored a penalty against Brighton, kicked the advertising hoardings and screamed “duck OFF” at the south stand in Clements season?

I thought it wasn't the smartest thing to do, why?

Archived