Scott Malone

Sheikh n Bake

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Well if Malone doing it “shows him for the player he is,” I was just curious whether Martin doing it shows him for the player he is as well?

Ha ha ha. Yes I thought that's what you meant - you compare the two and their careers at Derby then.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ha ha ha. Yes I thought that's what you meant - you compare the two and their careers at Derby then.

Righto. I won’t go any further into it as no one needs another Chris Martin thread.

But a large number of players have felt the inclination to show frustration at the the attitude of fans. That says to me it’s not a Scott Malone issue.

Next time a player swears at the fans, I’ll first have a think about how many goals they’ve scored for Derby before deciding if it’s acceptable to me or not ?

Here’s my take.

Some players, eg Jayden Boyle, get praised a lot by managers, pundits and the club. This is because they need the praise, so in Bogle’s case he’s a very good young player getting a chance in the first team and he’s getting the support he needs to progress. He’s not only an asset but also an advert for the academy. Other players who managers talk about need that praise in public from the manager for them to gain confidence. Point is, because they are shown to be praised, fans tend to react to them positively, forgive errors and generally praise them to the point of it being a bit OTT. Even Radio Derby get on this, and to be honest the amount of people on here who have the EXACT view as Craig Ramage but come on here and criticise him for talking rubbish is quite funny. 

Now to get on to Malone, someone who is very early praised in public, he becomes a lot easier to criticise. You rarely saw Lampard praise him, Cocu hasn’t really singled him out yet and you never really hear Dawes/Ramage was lyrical about him so fans don’t really pick up on him because you aren’t told to. The big thing though is Lampard brought him and made him his first choice and Cocu has started with him. This says to me that he’s seen as an important player, but the manager doesn’t necessarily feel the need to pick him out and praise him because he probably doesn’t need the public appraisal. Malone is a big enough character to just get on with his job. BUT because he’s not praised an awful lot,or talked about in glowing terms, he’s becomes an easier target for fans to vent their frustrations at.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't think you get the point. Malone has set himself up as a target, that's not smart. Is that simple enough for you?

And the fact ‘supporters’ and I use that term as loosely as I possibly can, are offended enough to let this affect their opinion of a player, says so much more about them than it does Scott Malone.

We’re already seeing it though aren’t we. A bad mistake yes and it’s like he scored 5 own goals in a season decider.

The funny thing is, without the fans who get on his back for aimless punts when there’s nothing on, and also negative passing when there’s nothing on, he would probably have felt comfortable enough to do one of those two things in that situation and not receive abuse, rather than take a needless risk. Maybe those in the stands need to realise that the way they behave affects the players mindset.

1 minute ago, Nick_Ram said:

Nah @RoyMac5 is Chris Martin's no.1 fan. 

Someone should tell him it's no longer 2015.

What has that got to do with Malone 'giving it back' to the fans? I said when asked about Martin doing it wasn't smart. When Malone does it it's even dumber. He wasn't even first pick by Lampard when Fozzy was fit FFS! ?

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Trouble is when you do that you leave yourself open to get it in the neck on your next mistake. He's not a good enough defender to go about 'giving it back'.

How good he is is irrelevant. He's a person and he doesn't have to take poo off another person. 

He's a lot better at football than those telling him he's crap. If we are talking about football qualifications to give abuse then it's the fans that aren't good enough to give it

And clearly a lot can't take a bit back. They think they can abuse another human being and not get a reaction. Just like they do sat behind steering wheels and keyboards. duck them. 

Respect gets you respect

52 minutes ago, nottingram said:

And the fact ‘supporters’ and I use that term as loosely as I possibly can, are offended enough to let this affect their opinion of a player, says so much more about them than it does Scott Malone.

We’re already seeing it though aren’t we. A bad mistake yes and it’s like he scored 5 own goals in a season decider.

The funny thing is, without the fans who get on his back for aimless punts when there’s nothing on, and also negative passing when there’s nothing on, he would probably have felt comfortable enough to do one of those two things in that situation and not receive abuse, rather than take a needless risk. Maybe those in the stands need to realise that the way they behave affects the players mindset.

Couldn't agree anymore.

Josefzoon is a classic example. All he ever seems to do right now is pass it backwards. He rarely has the confidence to beat his man or deliver across; potentially because if he loses the ball he'll have the fans on his back. If he plays the ball sideways or backwards, nobody groans like they would if he gave the ball away. 

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Couldn't agree anymore.

Josefzoon is a classic example. All he ever seems to do right now is pass it backwards. He rarely has the confidence to beat his man or deliver across; potentially because if he loses the ball he'll have the fans on his back. If he plays the ball sideways or backwards, nobody groans like they would if he gave the ball away. 

I think the fans have been great this season with all the players.  

I think that when a fan isnt happy with a players performance they should write a strongly worded representatation to the Times Letter Page and maybe also organise a peaceful sit-down protest in the carpark after the game when everyone has gone home so as not to inconvenience anyone 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

You've got it all wrong. You pay your £30 or buy a season ticket and it gives you the absolute right to castigate one of our players if that player makes a mistake but it's totally unacceptable for that player to then come back at you - or that's what some who claim to be fans seem to think. Criticism of players during a match is understandable but don't moan and whinge like cry babies when some flack is returned.

I'm not a fan of Malone but that is completely irrelevant.

23 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If your logic is that because Malone made 20 Premiership appearances ergo he is a quality player then there's more holes in your argument then a colander

"Malone is poor end of. You can’t give him excuses. How on earth he has made a footballer is beyond me."

"Scott Malone made more than 20 appearances in the premier league."

Where in my post did I say that Malone was a quality player? My reply was to the poster who said "how on earth he has made a footballer ..." My point being, that if someone has played in the Premier League, they have made it as a footballer. Quite factual. 

So maybe you should make an attempt to understand the context of the discussion before you jump in with your ignorant, negative comments.

I know we are all very sage and intelligent on here .. obviously !

but when you hear some of the drivel in the stands from folk who have obviously beeen going for years I tend to take things with a pinch of salt when it comes to “knowledge of the game” and “fans” used in the same sentence.  

I think it's an incredibly stupid thing for Malone to have done.

What good has that done him, really? You're not going to improve your popularity with the fans by doing that. He got to temporarily vent some frustration, at the cost of losing a chunk of fan support. 

Before anyone says it, I don't condone fans shouting abuse at players, however I think Malone is just as dumb for giving it back.

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

Righto. I won’t go any further into it as no one needs another Chris Martin thread.

But a large number of players have felt the inclination to show frustration at the the attitude of fans. That says to me it’s not a Scott Malone issue.

Next time a player swears at the fans, I’ll first have a think about how many goals they’ve scored for Derby before deciding if it’s acceptable to me or not ?

Correct. I remember Rob Hulse giving the "V" 's to all 4 sides of the ground after he scored following some abuse. 

Supporters acting in an entitled fashion (read that as: expecting anything different from a pro footballer than you would a mate) is top level silly at the moment. 

If you told a mate he sucks (with the vitriol thrown at footballers), you'd expect some comeuppance. Who told you? Who shared with you? Where did you read it? That you possibly think you are above the common decency of being a human when interacting with a footballer? Every one of those footballers are just like you. Except they are exceptional athletes...and you (we) are not.

I understand passion for club, and wanting success as quickly as possible. But you have zero right to treat another human with any less respect you would show an elder...a colleague...a kid. Stop being ass-hats. Pretty simple. I bet you would fold like a cheap suit if anyone heckled you at your job (I would). You are not above common niceties. Please slow down on feeling you are owed something.

Enjoy the team. Enjoy the ups and downs.  Come On You Rams!

Supporters yelling at players is nothing new at all. It was common way back in the 70's. Particularly when tactical substitutions were newly allowed, it all ramped up. 

I do think in those days the general background noise was much greater, so one or two screeching personal abuse directly to a player was harder to discern.

Archived