Scott Malone

Sheikh n Bake

12 hours ago, Andicis said:

You're not going to improve your popularity with the fans by doing that.

Why does Scott Malone care about popularity with the fans?

The fans don't pick the team. I don't imagine for one second he gives a toss about what the fans think. I imagine he cares about what Cocu thinks though. 

And even then, if he's not selected and Derby don't get promoted, he's not going to lose any sleep. That doesn't make him a bad person; it's just the harsh reality that most Derby players don't care about the club as much as you probably do. 

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nick_Ram said:

The fans don't pick the team. I don't imagine for one second he gives a toss about what the fans think. I imagine he cares about what Cocu thinks though. 

And even then, if he's not selected and Derby don't get promoted, he's not going to lose any sleep. That doesn't make him a bad person; it's just the harsh reality that most Derby players don't care about the club as much as you probably do. 

If he didn't care, why would he be so quick to clap back at the fans?

27 minutes ago, Srg said:

If he didn't care, why would he be so quick to clap back at the fans?

Said this last week he is on a hiding to nothing now with some of the fans... If he is careful and passes it backwards or safely inside he gets grief for being negative, if he launches it long he gets heckled for wasting it, if he tries to be clever with a pass and loses it he gets yelled at (often team mates don't make runs or have terrible control thus making passing to them doubly difficult), if he shows 'passion' eg by diving in, charging forward, arguing at ref/shouting at team mates he just gets moaned at to concentrate on his game ...and when he bombs down the wing he gets pulled up for leaving us short at the back. 

IMO his crossing can be excellent, his engine is really good, he can pick a pass generally and defensively he is ok if he is not trying to get forward. I hate his stupid haircut (favoured by plenty of other players, I know not why) and he is prone to the odd error. In short, he is a top half championship player.  Much more of a concern to me is the lack of genuine options when he has the ball. He obviously thinks the same and is sick of fans getting on his back andn not seeing where the issue lies. Bogle is safer in possession and gets more leeway as an academy product...but Malone is still better than Ashley Cole, on a par with Forsyth and Lowe at present and in a team with the ball he is a good option. 

1 hour ago, Nick_Ram said:

Well, why do any players care? It helps significantly if you get the fans on board. They're more patient with you, more likely to cheer you on. Take last season for example, the connection between players and fans I think helped us significantly. It made me feel closer to the club. 

Why should Malone want to be disliked by the fans? How does that ever help? 

Nobody is saying he's going to lose sleep, you're putting words in my mouth I didn't say now.

All I said was that it's stupid to push the fans away to temporarily vent frustrations, which I believe it is.

Final word on this?! Malone has no defensive nous and frequently loses his bearings (!!), he is OK as an attacking left-sided midfielder as long as he remembers possession is the name of the game. The crowd has every right to moan when he forgets the basics!

4 minutes ago, KCG said:

Final word on this?! Malone has no defensive nous and frequently loses his bearings (!!), he is OK as an attacking left-sided midfielder as long as he remembers possession is the name of the game. The crowd has every right to moan when he forgets the basics!

I'd argue he wouldn't be great as a winger. His touch isn't great, his passing is mediocre, decision making certainly suspect and he has no great pace, let alone the ability to drop a shoulder. He's a defender, and that's all he'll ever be - and an average one at best.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Fair play to him, he's come out and admitted he lost his head and that it won't be happening again. Time to move on from it, Tuesday is a night to forget for all of us. Crucifying him for it will do nobody any good. 

yes , spot on mate , lets support all the lads on Saturday , Malone , Dowell , Flo , need our support as much as Marriott , Lowe , Waggy etc , all Rams together , lets show them Baggies our great support and roar on the Rams to 3pts

20 hours ago, europia said:

"Malone is poor end of. You can’t give him excuses. How on earth he has made a footballer is beyond me."

"Scott Malone made more than 20 appearances in the premier league."

Where in my post did I say that Malone was a quality player? My reply was to the poster who said "how on earth he has made a footballer ..." My point being, that if someone has played in the Premier League, they have made it as a footballer. Quite factual. 

So maybe you should make an attempt to understand the context of the discussion before you jump in with your ignorant, negative comments.

Utter tripe so by your definition then Claude Davis has made it as a footballer. Utterly laughable.

14 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

There is an interview with him on the club website. I think it's Owen Bradley doing the interview. 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/08/malone-i-want-to-win-every-game-for-Derby

I think this was a brave interview from Malone. He’s admitted he lost his head and seems pretty emotional about it. It’s big of him to come out and admit it and try to build bridges with the fans. I’ll be right behind him if he plays today and I hope he doesn’t get a hard time. 

Calling all fans, if Malone plays today get behind the lad, a very important game today, so us as fans need to stay behind ALL the players, Malone is not my favourite player, but I would never boo and call him out at the game, it helps no one, so come on, let's drive the team onto our first home victory and give all the players our 100 percent backing.

25 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I think this was a brave interview from Malone. He’s admitted he lost his head and seems pretty emotional about it. It’s big of him to come out and admit it and try to build bridges with the fans. I’ll be right behind him if he plays today and I hope he doesn’t get a hard time. 

Yes. It's almost as if @OwenB87 reads this message board and opens up the opportunity to clear the air! 

It's a much better interview when you give the player some space to answer honestly rather than following a pre-match/post-match club script. More please, Owen. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

If for no other reason, it's human nature for most people to want to be liked and admired.

Yep. Even those gobby blokes who constantly yell out at certain players are doing it to impress their mates (who are probably thinking "What a prat!" but daren't tell him to shut the duck up.)

Archived