Rowett ball v Lampard way

FindernRam

30 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Taking away the different playing style/tactical approach, you have identified the main differences between Lampard and Rowett.

1) Would Rowett have given Bogle, Roos, Bennett, Bird and Lowe any significant playing opportunities this season? Particularly in the context that Mount, Wilson and Fik were already part of the team. That is a resounding no. 

2) Would Rowett have any chance of convincing Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City to let us blood any of their top talents. Absolutely no chance.  

Look mate the question is hypothetical.

Rowett has gone let’s concentrate on the here and now. .

PS Don’t read this and flick past it if you like lol 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of when we're poor under Frank we seem to be trying a nice idea but not pulling it off (and I think teams are knowing a looking to cut off passes we like to play) which leaves us exposed as the players have started running up the pitch to join the attack. As this happens we get panicked and make more mistakes.

Under Rowett we didn't have the ambition to get a nice idea wrong, and we just gradually got worse at doing unambitious things.

In truth, we're more like the Mac2 team than the Rowett one at present.

We just need to bare in mind our traditional mid-winter collapse and see how ?Frank manages through that. If by mid-march we still had more points and goals under Rowett I'll be surprised.

27 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I’m 100% with giving Frank as much time as he needs. 10th or better is fine with me this season. My point is we just don’t know his mindset as a manager. His legacy as a player could be ruined if this goes wrong and he may decide this before it goes badly wrong. 

He’s spoke of being a future Chelsea manager very much like Bryan Robson was at Man Utd which never happened, great player not so great manager. Robson is now a tour guide on match days in an ambassador role. Frank’s grand plan might not come to fruition.

As I say 10th or better is fine with me, even looking at the current table, the opposition and the favourable remaining fixtures, going up would be like 2007 (a fluke) all over again. We aren’t ready, I looked at Wolves last season and thought yes ready, I look at them now and think “wow” wish it was us 

100% agree we don’t know his mindset & yes he could just walk away at anytime (as I’m sure he’s not doing this for the money) but to listen to him in the media & observe his philosophy towards youth and bringing them into the first team squad etc I just don’t think he will. 

I also accept there are no guarantees that he will become the great manager we all hope he will become, I just want us to give him the time to learn his trade and develop into the manager we all wish for so he can achieve his own personal goals and I’d be delighted if he takes DCFC along the way with him. 

I’m also not sure we are ready this season  but I’d take it if we did make it, it can’t be as bad as last time surely!! I’ve already said earlier in this thread that I’m happy to give Frank this season and the next so if it’s not to be this year then to be even stronger & challenging more consistently in the 2019/2020 season will do for me. 

5 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

We do not have a settled team now due to injuries, that is killing our form

Don't buy that one, personally, Norwich and Leeds also have injuries. It's how the squad is managed that makes the difference. 

As for next season, I wouldn't be surprised to see the wallflower years continue. We've been going round in circles since 2014, whilst others get their act together and pass us by. This is the context for our impatience. 

If we aren't seeing clear progress by the end of next season then I think, ultimately, the questions will have to come back to Mel Morris. 

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Look mate the question is hypothetical.

Rowett has gone let’s concentrate on the here and now. .

PS Don’t read this and flick past it if you like lol 

I know it must seem odd to you, but it seems perfectly reasonable in a thread set-up to debate Rowett vs Lampard, to actually post something regarding Rowett vs Lampard ?

25 minutes ago, McRainy said:

If we aren't seeing clear progress by the end of next season then I think, ultimately, the questions will have to come back to Mel Morris. 

I think it'll be sooner then that to be honest. If we are in a poor league position after this summer transfer window when Lampard has shifted surplus to requirement players but also brought in some of his own selections then difficult questions will start to be asked.

46 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I think it'll be sooner then that to be honest. If we are in a poor league position after this summer transfer window when Lampard has shifted surplus to requirement players but also brought in some of his own selections then difficult questions will start to be asked.

Maybe so. A decent summer window and the clock will be ticking, no excuses from that point on. 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I know it must seem odd to you, but it seems perfectly reasonable in a thread set-up to debate Rowett vs Lampard, to actually post something regarding Rowett vs Lampard ?

I ain’t bothered.

After all I saw the Brian Clough/ Dave Mackay era. 

23 hours ago, FindernRam said:

A lot of discussion has been that although we are slightly worse off in points etc than last year, the football has been more exciting. It certainly was to start with, but do we still think so?

Frankly since probably the end of November our play style has been quite dire at times.Last night was almost typical of recent matches (perhaps a bit worse) no shots on target, just 2 corners, pathetic pass completion (74%). Several games have been like this.

It feels like we haven't really progressed this year. 

Yeah, it's not like he's slashed the average squad age by promoting youth, brought in some great potential on cheap deals, used the loan market brilliantly and created the foundations for a much more exciting footballing style, all without the same financial backing most previous managers have had...

This post is almost the definition of reactionary. A mediocre performance likely hindered by us missing a fair few of our game-changing players isn't going to define our season. I think Frank's got us in an excellent position to challenge for promotion if we can find consistency, but also given us stability so that should we fall short, we're in a fantastic position to try again next season.

Compare to Forest or Villa, who have thrown enough money at promotion this season that they'll likely be in a very precarious position should they fail; we're in a better league position having spent a fraction of what they have with a manager currently boasting a grand total of 7 months experience... you must have been feeling very pessimistic to spin that into any sort of negative?

The difference this season is that the team appears to have character and resilience - we have had countless marginal results that have gone our way, often towards the end of games, many away from home ,and that cant be a coincidence. 

It suggests a level of belief and confidence from the players in themselves and also in Lampard and his team . That something is being built here upon solid foundations.  This was not the case last season under Rowett . The sunderland game in particular seemed to show that he had ‘lost’ the players .  Rowetts’ backroom staff were anonymous and underwhelming , with little standing in the game to enthuse the players.

Lampard and his set up is far more impressive and gives confidence that we will eventually get there, albeit along a road that will be bumpy from time to time. You only need to listen to both of them speak to decide which of them inspires, and that doesnt even take into account their respective ‘pedigrees’ and achievements in the game.

Its interesting that Norwich have just gone top of the league. They were very average last season and it wouldnt have been a surprise if their new manager had been let go at some point. Instead, they  have given Falke time and are now reaping the benefits - a useful lesson for us to learn at Derby. 

Archived