Rowett ball v Lampard way

FindernRam

6 hours ago, Phoenix said:

From my diary of March 3rd last year. Derby win 3-0 at home. Huddlestone scores his 1st goal for Derby, who have now gone 11 games without defeat, and conceded only 3 goals in the last 13 games.

Crude but effective. Where did it all go wrong?

Feb 3rd? Beat Brentford. Then went on a no win in 8or 9 run....

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Surely depends on the STI? I mean genital warts can be a talking point and novelty feature whilst gonorrhoea can give some delightful discharge...

Are you describing Lampard and Rowett on purpose there?

12 hours ago, Saity said:

Findern ram, will always find ways to moan about the team

Not completely true! I asked a simple question about how people felt about progress. 

I actually praised Lawrence earlier in the season, but that just proves my main motto is correct: Pessimists are rarely disappointed!

If I was as big a moaner about everything DCFC as you suggest I would have to be a world class masochist to have supported the team since 1968. But with age comes wisdom and a questioning of things not a blind following of the herd.

17 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Not completely true! I asked a simple question about how people felt about progress. 

I actually praised Lawrence earlier in the season, but that just proves my main motto is correct: Pessimists are rarely disappointed!

If I was as big a moaner about everything DCFC as you suggest I would have to be a world class masochist to have supported the team since 1968. But with age comes wisdom and a questioning of things not a blind following of the herd.

Findern your a 100% moaner.Ive followed the Rams since Arthur Coxs day and seen the highs and lows and I’m very happy with our current style of football, manager and club.With age some get better wisdom than others !!

Seems to me this season is as much a transition for Frank (from playing to managing/coaching) as it is for the team.

He had some bright ideas that we just didn't seem able to get early in the season like the midfield rotation thing. Who can forget Smoking Joe Ledley huffing to get back down the pitch v reading once a move broke down with him upfield.....

I'm sure Franks plans haven't been helped by interruptions to squad personnel through injury and the waning powers of some of the older players. Not much Frank can do other than try to move them on and/or use them to mentor younger players. Although hes been supported by being able to recycle incoming transfer fees, he doesn't appear to have had quite the free hand enjoyed by earlier managers.

Some of his recent personnel and formation decisions have been questionable and indeed questioned. Optimistically, everything gives frank more data from which to learn and hopefully (but by no means guaranteed) we will l see the improvements building for the rest of this season and into the next.

On balance I still believe Frank is intelligent enough to adapt where necessary and use his powers of persuasion to our advantage so I do feel optimistic for the future (but note this is not a data driven statistical view.......?)

I enjoy Franks style of football, he has a plan and I remain confident we will improve; but for all the style, we just aren't scoring …

so many moans about the defence but ours is 5th best. Yet there are 9 teams that have scored more than us.

The score more than them ethos that was talked about early in the season just hasn't happened. We get close, we have oooo and aaaa moments but we aren't hitting the back of the net anything like enough to be considered full time winners and a team to be feared. 

Still work to be done but Rowett is history. Now, every time I go to a game there is always a fulsome feeling that this could be our day rather than with GR hoping we can snatch one on the break courtesy of a bit of Vydra magic

15 hours ago, Inglorius said:

There's always going to be a schizm on this board, those whom are pigeonholed as rose tinted happy clappers and those earmarked as pessimistic doom merchants. 

Regardless of whatever camp one is deemed to be in being able to hold a reasoned, coherent debate should trump anything else.

glad to be pigeonholed as a happy clapper, glad to be a Ram

Some days I look beautiful, others I just scrape through the day in just my underwear. 

Football is the same.

Most teams have their good days and off days, very few are beautiful all the time, espcially in the second tier of English football.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Some days I look beautiful, others I just scrape through the day in just my underwear. 

Football is the same.

Most teams have their good days and off days, very few are beautiful all the time, espcially in the second tier of English football.

but we still need more goals per game ?

44 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Seems to me this season is as much a transition for Frank (from playing to managing/coaching) as it is for the team.

He had some bright ideas that we just didn't seem able to get early in the season like the midfield rotation thing. Who can forget Smoking Joe Ledley huffing to get back down the pitch v reading once a move broke down with him upfield.....

I'm sure Franks plans haven't been helped by interruptions to squad personnel through injury and the waning powers of some of the older players. Not much Frank can do other than try to move them on and/or use them to mentor younger players. Although hes been supported by being able to recycle incoming transfer fees, he doesn't appear to have had quite the free hand enjoyed by earlier managers.

Some of his recent personnel and formation decisions have been questionable and indeed questioned. Optimistically, everything gives frank more data from which to learn and hopefully (but by no means guaranteed) we will l see the improvements building for the rest of this season and into the next.

On balance I still believe Frank is intelligent enough to adapt where necessary and use his powers of persuasion to our advantage so I do feel optimistic for the future (but note this is not a data driven statistical view.......?)

You seem sensible, what are you doing in this thread?

16 hours ago, europia said:

Fair comment. The likelyhood is that we will again miss out on promotion, which for me is the main objective. Frank will find it harder in his second season. It is a shame that the high octane euphoria which accompanied Lampards arrival hasn't transmitted into results that would put us in amongst those chasing auto promotion. Next season will perhaps be a bit flat, as FL settles into the status of being just another championship manager.

Regarding Gary Rowett, it seems that so many fans were unhappy with his brand of football (which everyone was aware of) they would have been glad to see him leave. But instead he seems to have become some sort of hate figure. Very odd. Just an observations.

Why will Lampard find it harder next season? There will be room in the FFP budget, his signings/academy step ups from this year will be fully integrated into the squad & most importantly, he'll have a season of management under his belt. With that in mind, I think it would be fairer to have top 2 expectations of him next year.

If you mean the quality of the division, every year folk on here talk about how 'it'll be the hardest year yet' but the reality is relegated Premiership teams often struggle to mount any kind of serious promotion challenge. 

p.s. agree with your Rowett comments but there's a sizeable proportion of our lot who solely define themselves by who/what they dislike rather than who they support/like

We will be close this season, If we can start to hit some momentum and get 3 points from our easier fixtures then i see no reason why we can t get into the top 6 and finish in the top 4. We dont want to finish 6th as that would mean playing either Norwich, Leeds or Sheffield United in the play offs. The big thing for me is that we are far too predictable, some games are crying out for 2 strikers as Marriott is being offered no support, but we stick with the 433 (if we had gone to Leeds and changed things up we might have done better than we did) I also think we miss a striker like Madine. Franks done well, he has made some dubious selections at times and as a fan i cant see what Bryson and Nugent offer this side. All in all lets give him time, I f we finish in top 10 it will be okay and to finsih above the red dogs would comical after there spending spree. I would like to see this team on saturday and see how they do....

Roos

Bogle        Keogh        Tomori         Cole

Huddlestone

Holmes              King

Wilson             Marriott             Waghorn

16 hours ago, europia said:

Fair comment. The likelyhood is that we will again miss out on promotion, which for me is the main objective. Frank will find it harder in his second season. It is a shame that the high octane euphoria which accompanied Lampards arrival hasn't transmitted into results that would put us in amongst those chasing auto promotion. Next season will perhaps be a bit flat, as FL settles into the status of being just another championship manager.

Regarding Gary Rowett, it seems that so many fans were unhappy with his brand of football (which everyone was aware of) they would have been glad to see him leave. But instead he seems to have become some sort of hate figure. Very odd. Just an observations.

For me the main objective isn’t to get promoted, last season we were playing turgid, tedious football, getting rid of the best youngster to have ever been produced by the club because he didn’t fit into the managers style of play and replaced by older variations designed for a quick impact to get us into the PL. This season imo is about rebuilding and addressing the damage done by GR during his spell, bringing younger players into the fold, promoting the youth into the first team set up and trying to get us playing a brand of football that we haven’t seen for a while under previous managers.

Will he succeed who knows, however we have 100% more chance of being promoted this season than last, and those who are disappointed at us not challenging for the autos should remember the challenges facing FL and that we haven’t been in the mix for autos since MM took over, it’s not that easy.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

glad to be pigeonholed as a happy clapper, glad to be a Ram

Your statement totally reinforces my post about the stereotyping of posters on here; you thereby insinuate that those members who are deemed to be pessimistic doom merchants are therefore not true Derby supporters.  

I'm also glad to be a Ram or whatever parlence you wish to use, just because my stance may be different to yours then this doesn't make me any more or any less a "true" supporter.

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

We dont want to finish 6th as that would mean playing either Norwich, Leeds or Sheffield United in the play offs

In some ways I think 6 th might be OK. If we come out of our current glitch and climb back up to 6th we will be in good form, playing a team that's totally demoralised from failing to make the autos. IF we then fail we will know early in the window what our level and finances our for next season are. That has to be good.

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

We dont want to finish 6th as that would mean playing either Norwich, Leeds or Sheffield United in the play offs.

We are going to have to play them wherever we finish in the play offs if we want to progress?

7 hours ago, AdamRam said:

we have 100% more chance of being promoted this season than last

That's a big percentage number. Not sure how you formulated that? I guess the points tally at the end of the season, or if and how we prosper in the play offs, will be a more accurate indicator.

7 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Why will Lampard find it harder next season? There will be room in the FFP budget, his signings/academy step ups from this year will be fully integrated into the squad & most importantly, he'll have a season of management under his belt. With that in mind, I think it would be fairer to have top 2 expectations of him next year.

If you mean the quality of the division, every year folk on here talk about how 'it'll be the hardest year yet' but the reality is relegated Premiership teams often struggle to mount any kind of serious promotion challenge. 

p.s. agree with your Rowett comments but there's a sizeable proportion of our lot who solely define themselves by who/what they dislike rather than who they support/like

As you suggest, expectations will be higher next season. This could make things harder for the manager, perhaps.

Archived