Watchable telly

dog

On 21/11/2022 at 08:27, Gaspode said:

The fact that James Corden is in it is enough to stop me watching.....

It's actually better than anything he deserves to be in - but that really isn't saying much. The bloke is a twonk of the highest order, indeed the casting in this is awful throughout - I don't think there is one key character who feels like they would be in that place in real life. Shame, it's not terrible as a storyline but I agree Corden is never going to make anything better by being in it.

10 hours ago, ketteringram said:

The English is very well made, and beautiful to look at. I've seen the first four, and got totally baffled by the timeline in episode 4, in relation to what I'd already seen. I even re watched the episode, but it didn't help much! Maybe when I watch five and six, it'll all make sense. I am pretty thick though ?

It does jump about a tad, but I suspect all will come clear before you finish the show. It seems to be the current vogue amongst filmmakers and editors to present their stories in a non-linear fashion and in this case, it does sort of make sense once they've revealed the story in it's entirety. It's a twist that explains Cornelia's actions and state of mind, but I'll not say more! 

BTW, it's not thick not to find this challenging occasionally as we all process information differently - I've only very recently been made aware that I am slightly dyslexic! ?

On 22/11/2022 at 08:53, Wolfie said:

Half way through Devil's Hour (Prime) and really enjoying it.

Only 6 episodes & it's a mix of psychological thriller, sci fi and a bit of horror thrown in. If IMDB is to be believed, it's building up to a really good ending.

On 22/11/2022 at 21:03, Eddie said:

Excellent. We binge-watched it over a day. One of the best series I've watched in the last few months.

Really enjoyed the last couple of episodes last night.

They've commissioned a 2nd and 3rd series, apparently.

Edited by Wolfie

Not sure if I mentioned this show before, but Babylon Berlin is excellent. Crime drama set in late 1920s Germany. Lots of background political stuff with the Military, Nazis and Communists all tried to undermine the Weimar Republic. Loads of Cabaret style bohemian music and dance along with art deco styling and a bit of rumpy pumpy.  

I'm currently rewatching the 3rd series with the gf so i can watch the current (and 4th) series

4 hours ago, sage said:

Not sure if I mentioned this show before, but Babylon Berlin is excellent. Crime drama set in late 1920s Germany. Lots of background political stuff with the Military, Nazis and Communists all tried to undermine the Weimar Republic. Loads of Cabaret style bohemian music and dance along with art deco styling and a bit of rumpy pumpy.  

I'm currently rewatching the 3rd series with the gf so i can watch the current (and 4th) series

I am delighted that your Grandfather is still alive.

On 22/11/2022 at 17:35, 86 Hair Islands said:

I loved SAS Rogue Heroes. Don't really get the carping. It doesn't take itself too seriously so I'm not sure why viewers would either. Watching the evil Nazis dispatched to an ACDC / Black Sabbath soundtrack, what's not to like. Thought our Jack was excellent too.

As for The English, I ilked it. Wasn't sure after the first episode but it builds nicely.

I do hope that's not aimed at me ?

Returned to it ...and yep, agree with other posters that it massively improves after episode 1. The commander and especially his 'romance' with the French (?) woman was annoying me as well I think.

Alfie Allen in particular is great and once they are all together on the missions it becomes the romp it needs to be.

Racing through episodes 2-5 and enjoying it. 

Edited by Chester40

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Returned to it ...and yep, agree with other posters that it massively improves after episode 1. The commander and especially his 'romance' with the French (?) woman was annoying me as well I think.

Alfie Allen in particular is great and once they are all together on the missions it becomes the romp it needs to be.

Not really, more the adenoidal pedants on IMDB who keep banging on about the show not being faithful to the book. The makers clearly state that this is a dramatisation of the events as they really occurred and for my money, it's an absolute blast with no pretensions to be anything but. The goods news, for any fans of the show, is that there may be as many as 4 series.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Just seen that this is available in Spain on HBO+. I shall definitely give it a try 

18 hours ago, sage said:

Absolutely loved the first series of this, but couldn't get on with the second at all. Maybe I should give it another go. 

36 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Absolutely loved the first series of this, but couldn't get on with the second at all. Maybe I should give it another go. 

I now what you mean. The style of it sweeps you along in the first series. 

The second series starts ok but ends really well. The third series has twin stories which interweave well.

Not watched the 4th series yet  

On 04/05/2022 at 17:18, 86 Hair Islands said:

Tokyo Vice - Ansel Elgort (Baby Driver) playing an American in Tokyo who upsets an applecart with his Western notions of investigative journalism, bringing himself firmly into conflict with a local crimelord. The ever-excellent Ken Watanabe supports. It's a really interesting show that provides a striking insight into the uneasy relationship between Japan's Yakuza clans and the authorities and Japanese sub-culture as a whole. It does meander a little at times, but definitely worth a watch. Hopefully season 2 is commisioned as season 1 only gets us halfway back to the beginning - this will make sense if you watch it! 

No idea where it's streaming as I stole it and I can't be arsed to look. Soz Moz.

Tokyo Vice being shown on the beeb at present - and available on iplayer. Only watched 3 episodes so far but really enjoying it….

31 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Tokyo Vice being shown on the beeb at present - and available on iplayer. Only watched 3 episodes so far but really enjoying it….

Ah, glad you like it mate. They've literally just begun filming season 2 so you've timed it nicely. No premiere date as yet but Summer '23 seems likely, if not before. Not too long to wait! 

Chapelwaite

Loosely based on Stephen King's 'Jerusalem's Lot' I think. Spooky 1800s, haunted house, stay away from the scary basement, slightly horror/slightly suspense.

Doesn't exactly rattle along but Adrien Brody is an engaging actor who can hold my interest and its intriguing enough to have got me hooked.

Possibly just based on the worms, but was reminiscent to The Strain for me (I also enjoyed that).

Edited by Chester40