Watchable telly

dog

On 03/05/2023 at 12:54, CodnorRam said:

American comedies aint funny to me but Modern family is one of my favorite programs. The episodes are short and iv just finished watching 11 seasons of it. and just started over again. Would recommend. Most of them are on Disney+

On the whole I really enjoyed it but it did go off a bit towards the end IMO.

I'd recommend "Life in Pieces" in that case. It's on Prime but not sure where else it's available. Each episode is split into 4 distinct stories.

Going to be controversial here I think. 

I started Succession the other day, I'm 3 episodes in.

Surely it gets better? Not saying it's bad, it's just meh? I'll stick with it, but I'm pretty bored so far...

Edited by Jubbs

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Going to be controversial here I think. 

I started Succession the other day, I'm 3 episodes in.

Surely it gets better? Not saying it's bad, it's just meh? I'll stick with it, but I'm pretty bored so far...

You got further than me. Didn't make it to the end of this second one. 

Finished The Diplomat and we really enjoyed it after some really disappointing dross on Netflix, most notably, Night Agent.

Kerri Russell was great as the US Ambassador to the UK thrown into dealing with an incident after the *Iranians* attacked a UK Naval ship.

Reassuringly light on chases, shoot outs and insanely implausible plot twists I'd give it a solid 7.5/10. 

We immediately moved on to Fauda on Netflix based on the 8.3 IMDb rating.

Oh wow, this is REALLY good if you're ok with subtitles.

Set in the West Bank it follows an Israeli Special Forces Unit tasked with hunting down Palestinian (Hamas) terrorists. 

It is told from both sides, meaning there doesn't seem to be a slant on right and wrong, unlike The Diplomat which clearly has goodies and baddies.

Never too sure how good acting is when stuff is subtitled because as (I think) @Stive Pesley said when watching Spiral, he was never sure if he was watching a French version of The Bill (still the funniest thing I have ever read on this board, so if it wasn't Stive who said it, somebody should claim it), it can be tough to tell.

Only 5 episodes in, but at the moment it's a 9/10. And a solid 9, closer to 9.5 than 8.5.

On 09/05/2023 at 11:01, ketteringram said:

You got further than me. Didn't make it to the end of this second one. 

Wow! Different horses for different courses.

I have loved every minute and the fourth series is unusually the best of the lot.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Never too sure how good acting is when stuff is subtitled because as (I think) @Stive Pesley said when watching Spiral, he was never sure if he was watching a French version of The Bill (still the funniest thing I have ever read on this board, so if it wasn't Stive who said it, somebody should claim it), it can be tough to tell.

Yes - that was me. Keep me off politics and I'm hilarious 😂

The Curse, two series comedy caper about a bunch of idiots who somehow steal £30 million of gold from a security warehouse (Brinks Mat type heist).  Series one shows the heist and the aftermath as the coppers try to find the culprits.  Series two sees the gand living it up on the Costa del Crime of the 80's and moving into major drug smuggling after meeting Pablo Escobar.  Very enjoyable light entertainment.  7.5/10

1 hour ago, NottsRam said:

The Curse, two series comedy caper about a bunch of idiots who somehow steal £30 million of gold from a security warehouse (Brinks Mat type heist).  Series one shows the heist and the aftermath as the coppers try to find the culprits.  Series two sees the gand living it up on the Costa del Crime of the 80's and moving into major drug smuggling after meeting Pablo Escobar.  Very enjoyable light entertainment.  7.5/10

Sounds interesting what channel is it on? 

18 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Finished The Diplomat and we really enjoyed it after some really disappointing dross on Netflix, most notably, Night Agent.

Kerri Russell was great as the US Ambassador to the UK thrown into dealing with an incident after the *Iranians* attacked a UK Naval ship.

Reassuringly light on chases, shoot outs and insanely implausible plot twists I'd give it a solid 7.5/10. 

We immediately moved on to Fauda on Netflix based on the 8.3 IMDb rating.

Oh wow, this is REALLY good if you're ok with subtitles.

Set in the West Bank it follows an Israeli Special Forces Unit tasked with hunting down Palestinian (Hamas) terrorists. 

It is told from both sides, meaning there doesn't seem to be a slant on right and wrong, unlike The Diplomat which clearly has goodies and baddies.

Only 5 episodes in, but at the moment it's a 9/10. And a solid 9, closer to 9.5 than 8.5.

Fauda's decent. I binged the final series a while back and wasn't disappointed after bingeing the first few during lockdown.

Ref the Night Agent - stupidest thing I've seen on telly in a very long while. Bone-jarringly so. So stupid in fact, that I gave up 3/4s of the ay through episode 1. That's how bad it is 🤮 It's hard to understand sometimes how stuff gets made, but I see folk saying they couldn't make it through two episodes of Succession so what do I know? 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

3 hours ago, NottsRam said:

I  enjoyed it too mate some excellent characters , Tom Davis stood out as Mick

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fauda's decent. I binged the final series a while back and wasn't disappointed after bingeing the first few during lockdown.

Ref the Night Agent - stupidest thing I've seen on telly in a very long while. Bone-jarringly so. So stupid in fact, that I gave up 3/4s of the ay through episode 1. That's how bad it is 🤮 It's hard to understand sometimes how stuff gets made, but I see folk saying they couldn't make it through two episodes of Succession so what do I know? 

Good that we all like different stuff though . Otherwise the shows being made would all be so similar.

I know shows can reward you for sticking with them, and I know I'm capable of giving up too soon. But can you say you were enjoying Succession from the start, or did you have to watch several episodes to get into it?

Other really popular, seemingly well thought of shows I couldn't get on with.

Ozark. I thought the first episode was quite good. So carried on. By the time I got to about six or seven, I hated it, and every one in it, so gave up.

Ted Lasso. I thought, from what everyone was saying, this must be good. I somehow got through the whole of season one, but thought it was awful. Again, not a single likeable character, and also, and I know that comedy is a very subjective thing, but there's nothing remotely funny in this show!

The Expanse. Just confused the hell out of me. Too many characters, and I had no idea what was going on, or who was who. 

Severance. I actually enjoyed this for the first 2 or 3 episodes. But got very bored with it by about 6 and gave up. 

For Balance, some stuff I've loved, in no particular order.

Better call Saul, Breaking bad, The west Wing, Godless, Queen's Gambit, Better than Us, Shtisel, Stranger, Pine Gap, Secret City, Borgen, Occupied. 

Finished Magpie Murders (iPlayer) last night & thoroughly enjoyed it.

Two connected murder mysteries: One modern day of an author of whodunnits and the second in the 1950's, following the plot of his final novel in order to find the missing last chapter of the manuscript.

12 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Good that we all like different stuff though . Otherwise the shows being made would all be so similar.

I know shows can reward you for sticking with them, and I know I'm capable of giving up too soon. But can you say you were enjoying Succession from the start, or did you have to watch several episodes to get into it?

Other really popular, seemingly well thought of shows I couldn't get on with.

Ozark. I thought the first episode was quite good. So carried on. By the time I got to about six or seven, I hated it, and every one in it, so gave up.

Ted Lasso. I thought, from what everyone was saying, this must be good. I somehow got through the whole of season one, but thought it was awful. Again, not a single likeable character, and also, and I know that comedy is a very subjective thing, but there's nothing remotely funny in this show!

The Expanse. Just confused the hell out of me. Too many characters, and I had no idea what was going on, or who was who. 

Severance. I actually enjoyed this for the first 2 or 3 episodes. But got very bored with it by about 6 and gave up. 

For Balance, some stuff I've loved, in no particular order.

Better call Saul, Breaking bad, The west Wing, Godless, Queen's Gambit, Better than Us, Shtisel, Stranger, Pine Gap, Secret City, Borgen, Occupied. 

Pine Gap was outstanding, I was really sorry that wasn't renewed.

I too think Ted Lasso is crazily overhyped although I quite liked the first season.

For me, there are programs like Breaking Bad and Succession that I felt were going to be good even if they weren't blowing me away and required sticking with. Tulsa King was like that too.

With Night Agent ( and I got through 3 I think because Mrs Badger wanted to keep with it) that wasn't the case. Poorly acted, preposterous script and littered with continuity errors.

18 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Good that we all like different stuff though .

Absolutely, that's kind of the point I was making, clumsily perhaps. As for did I love it from the start, yes, absolutely. I think it's Brian Cox's 'opus' to be honest, but it won't please everyone and there have been a good few shows most folk liked that I didn't.

My son is a history buff, with a preference for Viking and Roman history.  This little family has watched most of what is offered in that regard and for example recently a short series named Rome, which this family can heartily recommend, historically inaccurate as it may be.  At it's conclusion, i set my son the task of finding a series of equal or superior quality and by Jove he delivered.

i speak of course of I Claudius, a television theatrical production of immense quality, brimful of fascinating yet often loathsome characters portrayed by actors of considerable talent adorned with plots and connivance galore.  i was pulled in immediately by the simple prospect of viewing the great John Hurt in a role i had yet to witness.  We have just finished the last episode of 13 on YouTube, of all places.  What marvelous fun, what intricacy, such exquisite dialog, such black humour, what horrible conniving women, hah.  It is a masterpiece, which understandably no producer or director has dared touch since and wisely so, for it could not be surpassed, i wager and would remain a pale shadow in comparison, special effects, huge sets and great battles there might be, or not.

Even the slight whiff of power corrupts, if you're not very careful, is the lesson i was reminded of from it.

X out of X.

9 hours ago, ramit said:

My son is a history buff, with a preference for Viking and Roman history.  This little family has watched most of what is offered in that regard and for example recently a short series named Rome, which this family can heartily recommend, historically inaccurate as it may be.  At it's conclusion, i set my son the task of finding a series of equal or superior quality and by Jove he delivered.

i speak of course of I Claudius, a television theatrical production of immense quality, brimful of fascinating yet often loathsome characters portrayed by actors of considerable talent adorned with plots and connivance galore.  i was pulled in immediately by the simple prospect of viewing the great John Hurt in a role i had yet to witness.  We have just finished the last episode of 13 on YouTube, of all places.  What marvelous fun, what intricacy, such exquisite dialog, such black humour, what horrible conniving women, hah.  It is a masterpiece, which understandably no producer or director has dared touch since and wisely so, for it could not be surpassed, i wager and would remain a pale shadow in comparison, special effects, huge sets and great battles there might be, or not.

Even the slight whiff of power corrupts, if you're not very careful, is the lesson i was reminded of from it.

X out of X.

Has your son ever watched Philomena Cunk? Careful with the spelling there.

Perhaps an acquired taste but I think she is very funny.