Watchable telly

dog

1899 on Netflix.

A ship on its way from England to New York recieves a radio signal with just coordinates that it believes is from its sister ship that went missing with over 1400 passengers and crew aboard 4 months earlier.

The passengers basically all say duck 'em keep going to New York, but the moody German captain stars into space a lot and decides to go anyway.

They find it and it's deserted except for a child.

Then it all starts to get very weird with cans of worms being opened only to find out that the worms inside have eaten more cans of worms.

All the passengers are hiding murky secrets and it has a distinctly Lost (the TV series) feel to it. Lost at Sea would have been a good name.

I'm almost 4 episodes in and I have no clue what to make of it. If Mrs BAdger said let's leave it, I'd be fine with that, but happy to stick through some more.

I like that everybody speaks their native tongue and subtitles are used and it's atmospheric for sure, but I'm having to use a tad more headspace than I'd like.

My guess is it will garner a loyal viewing as per Lost but will leave come people cold. I quite enjoyed the first season of Lost and then gradually lost interest when I realised there was never going to be a solution and never even made it to the end of the second season.

1 minute ago, sage said:

I'm in one of those adverts. We were on a school Geography trip to Swanage and 3 spare hours in Weymouth which we wasted trying to get into shot as they filmed an Hofmeister advert on the beach. What a pillock I was/am  

As an aside, is that Phil Davis behind the bear?

14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

1899 on Netflix.

A ship on its way from England to New York recieves a radio signal with just coordinates that it believes is from its sister ship that went missing with over 1400 passengers and crew aboard 4 months earlier.

The passengers basically all say duck 'em keep going to New York, but the moody German captain stars into space a lot and decides to go anyway.

Then it all starts to get very weird with cans of worms being opened only to find out that the worms inside have eaten more cans of worms.

All the passengers are hiding murky secrets and it has a distinctly Lost (the TV series) feel to it. Lost at Sea would have been a good name.

I'm almost 4 episodes in and I have no clue what to make of it. If Mrs BAdger said let's leave it, I'd be fine with that, but happy to stick through some more.

I like that everybody speaks their native tongue and subtitles are used and it's atmospheric for sure, but I'm having to use a tad more headspace than I'd like.

My guess is it will garner a loyal viewing as per Lost but will leave come people cold. I quite enjoyed the first season of Lost and then gradually lost interest when I realised there was never going to be a solution and never even made it to the end of the second season.

This sounds like it should be right up my street but I've been burned a few times by series which have a great concept and start off intriguing, only for it to become clear the writers didn't actually have a clue where it was going to end up.

Looking at you, Lost; Flash Forward and Battlestar Galactica - just the first ones to come to mind.

11.22.63 on Amazon Prime.

Stephen King story. JJ Abrams producing. Has a good pedigree.

Well-made and acted. If you like stories that actually have an ending rather than endless weaker series this is a good shout. This one is a time-travel story with our hero going back the 1960s to change the course of history. Less horror than most King stories, still with plenty of tense moments.

Edited by therealhantsram

On 01/12/2022 at 22:12, Bob The Badger said:

1899 on Netflix.

Be interested to hear your view when you've seen the last episode....

Oh, and well said re the subtitles. Do not watch this dubbed as it doesn't make sense due to the multi lingual cast (English, German, Portuguese, French, Danish, Japanese- maybe more?). Plus the dubbing isn't actually correct in some cases.   

On 02/12/2022 at 12:55, therealhantsram said:

11.22.63 on Amazon Prime.

Stephen King story. JJ Abrams producing. Has a good pedigree.

Well-made and acted. If you like stories that actually have an ending rather than endless weaker series this is a good shout. This one is a time-travel story with our hero going back the 1960s to change the course of history. Less horror than most King stories, still with plenty of tense moments.

Read the book about 7/8 years ago. In the top 3 books I’ve read. Programme doesn’t do the book justice IMO. 

22 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Agree. Also enjoyed the book a lot, but not so much the tv show.

Short story "Jerusalem's Lot", I think, preceeded the book "Salem's Lot". The former was in a brilliant collection of short stories by SK published in the late 60s or early 70s. IIRC it reads like a prequel to the book. Both are masterpieces of the genre imo. The film Salem's Lot with David Soul and James Mason is great too. 

53 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Just bailed on 1899 after 3 episodes.

Partly due to the sarcasm from the Mrs, but it was difficult to see where it was going. Was going to look at the Swimmer on Nflix as someone recommended. Any good?

Just tell her it's an intelligence test. You won't see where it's going until the end.

7 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Just bailed on 1899 after 3 episodes.

Partly due to the sarcasm from the Mrs, but it was difficult to see where it was going. Was going to look at the Swimmer on Nflix as someone recommended. Any good?

I've made it through 2 episodes of 1899. Because of my short attention span, I tend to look at other things - phone, computer etc - while I'm watching TV. 1899 demands my full attention for no reward. I don't want needy TV.