Vs Middlesbrough (home). Matchday thread.

Rev

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Is there anyone worse than me at predicting scores in this league? The more I know the worse I get at it. Lester Bumfluff is better at predicting final scores than me. ??

Got maximum points today for the first time this season!

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think Frank made a mistake when Wilson came off. I think he should’ve put Holmes on. We seemed to have a funny 15 minutes after the substitution. Nugent should’ve buried our best chance in the second half.

Momentum was given to Middlesbrough. Huddlestone gave the ball away for their goal and looked off the pace. Holmes looks full of pace and tricks by contrast. We need a better back up striker than Nugent.

Hard work against a shitty pulis,shirt pulling,leg kicking side.

My man of the match was Holmes,his brief appearance was full of energy and a massive bag of skill... lovely to see.

Waghorn was my biggest concern,he looks very heavy and was slow to react...he doesn't hold the ball up and is pretty slow to react...so I'm not sure of his benefit to the side currently.....nuge looks better value at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think Frank made a mistake when Wilson came off. I think he should’ve put Holmes on. We seemed to have a funny 15 minutes after the substitution. Nugent should’ve buried our best chance in the second half.

Totally agree. Holmes for Wilson would have worked better i think. TBF though Frank probably thinks that now too. Hindsight's a wonderful thing. 

The ball from Wisdom was brilliant. Nugent had time to control it and pick his spot I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Momentum was given to Middlesbrough. Huddlestone gave the ball away for their goal and looked off the pace. Holmes looks full of pace and tricks by contrast. We need a better back up striker than Nugent.

How long was Nugent on the pitch for before he had that chance? Not trying to defend him but even Andy Cole used to get a shed load of chances before he scored not sure whether everyone is asking too much of Nugent at his stage in his career, if he was that clinical he'd be playing in Serie A.

1 minute ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Holmes turning out to be a player, bodes well for next season, frank making us play better in last 20 minutes of games recently with his subs...

Get one good CB next season and we could storm the league

I'm hoping for us just to hold our own in the Premier League!

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

How long was Nugent on the pitch for before he had that chance? Not trying to defend him but even Andy Cole used to get a shed load of chances before he scored not sure whether everyone is asking too much of Nugent at his stage in his career, if he was that clinical he'd be playing in Serie A.

Strange example to illustrate your valid  point...Andy Cole was always prolific but definitely not really a clinical natural finisher for me. Solskjaer would have been a better example. 

Lot of weight on Marriott's shoulders at moment.  Waghorn should be the answer but reports sound disappointing today.

7 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I'm hoping for us just to hold our own in the Premier League!

Hahah!

Ive always said first season is about implementing a style, playing youngsters, testing what does and what doesnt work. No expectations, all about lampard getting a feel for management

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Strange example to illustrate your valid  point...Andy Cole was always prolific but definitely not really a clinical natural finisher for me. Solskjaer would have been a better example. 

Lot of weight on Marriott's shoulders at moment.  Waghorn should be the answer but reports sound disappointing today.

Was attempting to illustrate that Andy Cole had an outstanding goalscoring record but his conversion of goals to chances must have been pretty dismal so bit unrealistic to expect an over the hill striker to come off the bench and score with his one and only chance in the game likewise. 

8 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I was surprised that Marriott got the MOTM today. I didn’t think much came off for him and his touch was poor at times. I think Wisdom was a more worthy candidate making some good runs and getting a cross come pull back for our best chance.

I think that knock just before half time hurt/rattled him. Lovely assist for the goal lets not forget.

How much i wished Nuge's chance had fell to Marriott, but hey ho.

Yeah, Wisdom seems to be absolutely thriving at LB

24 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I think it would justify our league position if we were in mid table maybe, but for a team in the play offs I'd personally hope we'd be able to string a few good runs here and there in which not only are the results good, but the performances also. Some might disagree, but in my opinion we've put in 1, maybe 2 good performances since early November time. Every week the players get onto social media and say something like, 'not at our best but a decent result. We must improve for next week,' and they rarely seem to do so

Same thing happened last season when we had a good spell results wise under Rowett and people said it’s a sign of a good team even though stats such as the much hated expected goals suggested otherwise. Poor performances eventually catch up with you. McClaren was of the view that if you play well, good results will often follow anyway.

18 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Holmes turning out to be a player, bodes well for next season, frank making us play better in last 20 minutes of games recently with his subs...

Get one good CB next season and we could storm the league

That’s nice an all except for the fact half the squad’s contracts are up at the end of the season and Tomori, Wilson and Mount will be going to back to their parent clubs. If anything, I think this season was the last throw of the dice and the real rebuild starts in the summer.

Archived